Our run game sucks ... so what? Well ...

Woz

I've heard here and elsewhere that we don't really have to worry about our run game being subpar because we're just going to go pass happy. Sure, we like to throw it around.

BUT

Borrowing from FootballOutsiders.com premium stats, here's some interesting info:

• Passing
      • Percentage of Play Action: 18% (rank = 18th)
      • PA Yards/Play = 10.4 (rank = 1st)
      • Other Passing Yards/Play = 7.2 (rank = 4th)
      • Delta between PA and non-PA = 3.2 (rank = 3rd)
    • Rushing
      • Rush DVOA = 5.0% (rank = 4th)
      • Non-Adjusted Rush VOA = 0.8% (rank = 8th)
    • Passing
      • Percentage of Play Action: 19% (rank = 15th)
      • PA Yards/Play = 10.3 (rank = 2nd)
      • Other Passing Yards/Play = 6.4 (rank = 14th)
      • Delta between PA and non-PA = 3.9 (rank = 2nd)
    • Rushing
      • Rush DVOA = -23.6% (rank = 32nd)
      • Non-Adjusted Rush VOA = -19.2% (rank = 30th)

So, in short, our running game, even if it sucks, is absolutely critical to our passing game. When we've given up on the rush, we get smoked because teams don't worry about play action anymore.

At this point, I don't know if there is that much hope of fixing the running game. We have multiple issues that we've all talked about and Woz has laid out here. 

If the front office wanted to solve the running game issues they should have done more in the offseason. Gruden has said he's worried about the center position since last February yet, they didn't sign a vet center to compete w/ Long - instead they lost a good one in Sullivan to McVay -  they didn't draft a C until round 6. Yes, we all like Roullier's size, strength and potential but if they were concerned about the C position so much you think they would have done more.

Then, we all know it's beyond a shame that Lauvao is still our best option at LG - if we aren't going to try Nsekhe there - and we certainly could have drafted or signed a G to compete or even replace Lauvao. In fact most of the forum thought we would have done that after 2015 because of Lauvao's ankle and foot injuries and if he'd ever come back healthy.

Now, Ronald Leary probably got overpaid and yes, he's going to make $8.4 & 8.8 million the next two years and then the Broncos can opt out after that, but I'm pretty sure most of the forum would have paid $3 & 4 million dollars for him the next two years.

Yes, that probably would have meant bye bye Long after this year, but with the way he's struggling right now which I hope is more related to the knee injury than anything else, so be it.

On 8/24/2017 at 8:37 PM, Woz said:

I've heard here and elsewhere that we don't really have to worry about our run game being subpar because we're just going to go pass happy. Sure, we like to throw it around.

BUT

Borrowing from FootballOutsiders.com premium stats, here's some interesting info:

• Passing
      • Percentage of Play Action: 18% (rank = 18th)
      • PA Yards/Play = 10.4 (rank = 1st)
      • Other Passing Yards/Play = 7.2 (rank = 4th)
      • Delta between PA and non-PA = 3.2 (rank = 3rd)
    • Rushing
      • Rush DVOA = 5.0% (rank = 4th)
      • Non-Adjusted Rush VOA = 0.8% (rank = 8th)
    • Passing
      • Percentage of Play Action: 19% (rank = 15th)
      • PA Yards/Play = 10.3 (rank = 2nd)
      • Other Passing Yards/Play = 6.4 (rank = 14th)
      • Delta between PA and non-PA = 3.9 (rank = 2nd)
    • Rushing
      • Rush DVOA = -23.6% (rank = 32nd)
      • Non-Adjusted Rush VOA = -19.2% (rank = 30th)

So, in short, our running game, even if it sucks, is absolutely critical to our passing game. When we've given up on the rush, we get smoked because teams don't worry about play action anymore.

We need too find a way to make this running game effective!!!!!! I hope if Kelly can't get going they atleast put Perine in too get a glimpse if he can be decisive against the starters tomomrowtomorrow

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I thought Vernon Davis was still a really good blocking TE. Has that declined with age?

I think he was in SF when they ran the ball almost every play but he's been average at best here and has gotten beat in pass pro too. Our best inline blocker is probably Derek Carrier who will probably get cut but I've seen him do better than the rest and he's done a decent job blocking OLB/DEs in pass pro as well.

Archived