Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DiehardBronxFan

Which Non-QB would you draft at 10?

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Cb would be great but it's a bit of a luxury when you have as many roster holes as we do.

I'd think ILB or OT. 

I’ll disagree with that to an extent.  CBs in today’s pass happy NFL are more valuable than they’ve ever been.  You basically need 3 players and often times 4 when factoring in the potential for injuries.

I don’t know if Baker or Murphy are better than say a Devin White, but I’d certainly understand the logic to go with one of them over White.

As of now Denver has 1 CB coming off injury.  I like Yiadom, but don’t think he’s done enough to secure anything more than a #3 CB outlook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I’ll disagree with that to an extent.  CBs in today’s pass happy NFL are more valuable than they’ve ever been.  You basically need 3 players and often times 4 when factoring in the potential for injuries.

I don’t know if Baker or Murphy are better than say a Devin White, but I’d certainly understand the logic to go with one of them over White.

As of now Denver has 1 CB coming off injury.  I like Yiadom, but don’t think he’s done enough to secure anything more than a #3 CB outlook.

You're correct about the value of CB's, no disagreement here. IMO though a 3 down ILB would do more for our defense right now. A pairing of White and Jewell would probably make Fangio real happy and let us move past the status quo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though we didn't go qb last year I literally loved the draft. It was awesome having a year where the players picked you just loved the upside.

I just looked up Courtland Sutton's player web with measurables on a draft database and man they are so impressive.  I think he's just scratching the surface really don't think Musgrave got the most out of him either. His 3 cone drill is top notch it just shows he can literally do so much more than making contested catches. 

 

Honestly wouldn't mind a draft similar to last year just hitting bpa out of the park and trades if they're there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

You're correct about the value of CB's, no disagreement here. IMO though a 3 down ILB would do more for our defense right now. A pairing of White and Jewell would probably make Fangio real happy and let us move past the status quo.

Agreed.  Like I said I could understand going a different direction, but could also see going with White or even Devin Bush out of Michigan.

It will definitely be interesting to see the value placed on ILBs with Fangio.  He’s been used to having terrific players at that position and currently Denver doesn’t have such a player, even with how much I like Jewell, he isn’t in the class of Willis, Bowman, Trevathan, or Smith.

Maybe Fangio can make it work (even though he hasn’t had to since 2011) but 3 down LBs that can cover don’t grow on trees so finding one won’t be easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  Like I said I could understand going a different direction, but could also see going with White or even Devin Bush out of Michigan.

It will definitely be interesting to see the value placed on ILBs with Fangio.  He’s been used to having terrific players at that position and currently Denver doesn’t have such a player, even with how much I like Jewell, he isn’t in the class of Willis, Bowman, Trevathan, or Smith.

Maybe Fangio can make it work (even though he hasn’t had to since 2011) but 3 down LBs that can cover don’t grow on trees so finding one won’t be easy.

Jewell needs a guy like you mentioned next to him. He can't fill that spot. 

Anyway, that's just the way I think Fangio would go if he had a pick between White and a CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see White lasting to pick 10 to be honest with you. Every bit the athlete Roq is but better at the physical aspect of run defending. I was much more impressed by White this season than last. His instincts and reads are getting even better which is a plus sign for the athlete he appears to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Counselor said:

I don’t see White lasting to pick 10 to be honest with you. Every bit the athlete Roq is but better at the physical aspect of run defending. I was much more impressed by White this season than last. His instincts and reads are getting even better which is a plus sign for the athlete he appears to be. 

Yeah, Whites a guy I could see going as early as #4, but I could also see him falling a bit, ILBs often do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, Whites a guy I could see going as early as #4, but I could also see him falling a bit, ILBs often do.

So, if he's there at 10 he'd be hard to pass up wouldn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AKRNA said:

So, if he's there at 10 he'd be hard to pass up wouldn't he?

If we didn't go qb at pick 10 and white fell I can't think of a better bpa. He's a stud and I think could be the leader of our d for a decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AKRNA said:

So, if he's there at 10 he'd be hard to pass up wouldn't he?

Definitely would be tough.  If he were there the only other option would be a QB, White’s definitely a top 10 talent and I think one could easily argue top 5.  I read a quote on WalterFootball supposedly from a scout that compared him to Ray Lewis.  Said he was better than any ILB in the 2018 draft.  More athletic than Donta Hightower, more explosive than CJ Mosley, bigger than Jonathan Vilma, more violent and explosive than DJ Williams and ultimately compared him to a bigger version of Roquan Smith (who went #8 last year).  To be compared too and better in areas than the names listed above=a special player.

I haven’t watched much of him yet, but need too.  Though I’ll say I’ve seen some not nearly as high on him as that.  Not that he’s awful, but more of a 15-20 prospect rather than the best LB they’ve ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Definitely would be tough.  If he were there the only other option would be a QB, White’s definitely a top 10 talent and I think one could easily argue top 5.  I read a quote on WalterFootball supposedly from a scout that compared him to Ray Lewis.  Said he was better than any ILB in the 2018 draft.  More athletic than Donta Hightower, more explosive than CJ Mosley, bigger than Jonathan Vilma, more violent and explosive than DJ Williams and ultimately compared him to a bigger version of Roquan Smith (who went #8 last year).  To be compared too and better in areas than the names listed above=a special player.

I haven’t watched much of him yet, but need too.  Though I’ll say I’ve seen some not nearly as high on him as that.  Not that he’s awful, but more of a 15-20 prospect rather than the best LB they’ve ever seen.

Well, I'll rely on you guys to let me know how he looks. If you can even mention he and Ray Lewis in the same breath he'd be a steal at 10.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devin White and Jonah Williams look to be the top at their respective positions, which worries me that they might be gone before 10.

What is weird to me, is that between Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy, and DeAndre Baker, there is no consensus best player here. I have seen mocks with them from anywhere from pick 5 to pick 30 for each one. Do any of them really stand out over the others? This kinda sours me on drafting a CB at 10, mainly fueled by my ignorance of the guys. 

What about a guy that has been falling down draft boards, Ed Oliver? 

OL - Williams gone, Taylor / Ford available

DL - Bosa, Allen, Williams, Gary, Ferrell gone, Oliver / Simmons available.

LB - White gone, Bush available

CB - Williams, Murphy, Baker available

This is tough. I assume in this scenario that Haskins/Lock are also gone, so Jones / Murray are available. Without much separation between the above underlined prospects (and assuming we do not take a QB), I think trading down would be ideal. Let Washington come up and grab Murray or something. Grab Bush or a CB at 15? Trading down is always a pipe dream though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, AKRNA said:

That might have something to do with Aaron Rodgers maintaining his position as the highest paid player in the NFL. 

Thats always bugged me. PM and Rodgers were always "team first" guys, just as long as the team realized that paying them more than anyone else was the top priority.

Maybe that’s the case for Rodgers but I’m not so sure about Peyton. When his agent did his contract here all Peyton said “I don’t want to be paid more than Tom Brady” and when the numbers came out Peyton was a little peeved, publicly, that his was making more than Tom. When Elway made him take the pay cut here for his last season, he was bent of shape about it but I think that was more since it was a blow to his ego than the fact that his gameday paychecks were a little lighter.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Maybe that’s the case for Rodgers but I’m not so sure about Peyton. When his agent did his contract here all Peyton said “I don’t want to be paid more than Tom Brady” and when the numbers came out Peyton was a little peeved, publicly, that his was making more than Tom. When Elway made him take the pay cut here for his last season, he was bent of shape about it but I think that was more since it was a blow to his ego than the fact that his gameday paychecks were a little lighter.

I was pretty much referring to PM's Colt years, he was pretty greedy.

Anyway, I hope QB's and GM's start figuring it out. It's almost impossible to field a championship team with a $30 million dollar man on the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×