2017 - 39 Pressures; 4 sacks; 15 TFL; 13 QB Hits

2018 - 53 Pressures; 6 sacks; 8 TFL; 16 QB Hits

3 year totals: 126 Pressures; 13 sacks; 27 TFL; 38 QB Hits

Leonard Williams (Age: 24.8)

2016 - 48 Pressures; 7 sacks; 11 TFL; 19 QB Hits

2017 - 50 Pressures; 2 sacks; 3 TFL; 25 QB Hits

2018 - 53 Pressures; 5 sacks; 11 TFL; 20 QB Hits

3 year totals: 151 Pressures; 14 sacks; 25 TFL; 64 QB Hits

Yet a lot of the fan base wants to trade away Leo for a 2nd round pick while also wanting to give Jarrett a giant contract in free agency. I don’t get it.

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Grady Jarrett (Age 25.10)

2016 - 34 Pressures; 3 sacks; 4 TFL; 9 QB Hits

Yet a lot of the fan base wants to trade away Leo for a 2nd round pick while also wanting to give Jarrett a giant contract in free agency. I don’t get it.

Jarrett is a top 5 run stopper in the league. That’s what separates them. 

3 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Grady Jarrett (Age 25.10)

2016 - 34 Pressures; 3 sacks; 4 TFL; 9 QB Hits

I think we need to better utilize Leo. And I also by all means don’t think DT is a need worth spending big on FA on.

47 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Where are you getting that number from?

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/leonard-williams/#!#current-year

I got the stat from PFF. Here's an article from PFF. It could be a definitional difference. PFF defines a stop by iDL as a play where that defender on 1st down prevents 40% of the yardage needed, on 2nd down 50% of the yardage, and on 3rd and 4th down the runner is kept from gaining a first down. 

Williams has been at his best as a run stuffer, notching 116 run stops since 2015 which ranks behind only Damon Harrison and Aaron Donald at the position.

In any event, I don't think we can point to run defense productivity as the reason why Jarrett is viewed as more valuable than Leo. It probably has more to do with with public perception because of the scheme they play. Jarrett is viewed as this disrupting penetrating iDL. And Leo is viewed as more of someone who takes up blocks and clogs the middle. Both are disruptive and have an argument in their favor. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-draft-history-grades-and-stats-for-every-first-and-second-round-pick-since-2015-afc-east-edition

25 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I got the stat from PFF. Here's an article from PFF. It could be a definitional difference. PFF defines a stop by iDL as a play where that defender on 1st down prevents 40% of the yardage needed, on 2nd down 50% of the yardage, and on 3rd and 4th down the runner is kept from gaining a first down. 

Williams has been at his best as a run stuffer, notching 116 run stops since 2015 which ranks behind only Damon Harrison and Aaron Donald at the position.

In any event, I don't think we can point to run defense productivity as the reason why Jarrett is viewed as more valuable than Leo. It probably has more to do with with public perception because of the scheme they play. Jarrett is viewed as this disrupting penetrating iDL. And Leo is viewed as more of someone who takes up blocks and clogs the middle. Both are disruptive and have an argument in their favor. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-draft-history-grades-and-stats-for-every-first-and-second-round-pick-since-2015-afc-east-edition

Look at their definition of a run stop. That’s not a run stuff. Run stuffs are more impressive. With that said, Leo has a much higher total snap count than Jarrett for starters. Ironically, PFF also have Jarrett graded as a much better run defender.  Why do you think his PFF grades are so much higher?

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To paint a clear picture for some. Signing Jarrett would be like having Snacks back but at 25yrs old.

I’m 100% cool with both, but Jarrett is the better player. I don’t think anyone outside of Jet land would argue that Leo is better. 

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I’m 100% cool with both, but Jarrett is the better player. I don’t think anyone outside of Jet land would argue that Leo is better. 

All of our players stink outside of Jet land honestly. I think we severely undervalue our guys talent. 

However factoring in weak areas such as Pass Rush and O-Line then you hurt everyone around the team since those are the two things on each side of the ball that get things going.

Also poor coaching(Bates, Rogers, Morhinweg, etc)

Scheme fits as well. A lot goes into it. 

Leo has top tier talent and should be used as a penetrating DT but we don’t utilize him that way. 

6 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

All of our players stink outside of Jet land honestly. I think we severely undervalue our guys talent. 

However factoring in weak areas such as Pass Rush and O-Line then you hurt everyone around the team since those are the two things on each side of the ball that get things going.

Also poor coaching(Bates, Rogers, Morhinweg, etc)

Scheme fits as well. A lot goes into it. 

Leo has top tier talent and should be used as a penetrating DT but we don’t utilize him that way. 

I agree with that 100% and it’s posisbkr that in the right scheme, Leo would be better than Grady, but as it stands, Grady has been better. 

In my ideal defense I prefer to have two OLB type edge rushers (Barr/Josh Allen/Fowler) type coming off the edge.  In that case in order to not get gashed in the run game you need some elite run stuffers.  Having two elite run stuffers like Leo and Jarrett would not be a bad thing if we could pair them with two speed edge rushers.

Archived