TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

When Im wrong, im wrong. I thought it was local - IIRC there was like a Pizza Uno and a Pizza Duo and that was it. 

It was originally local. It’s [allegedly] the origin of the Chicago style. But it became a chain a long time ago. I feel like the one by where I grew up in Upstate/Central NY came in in the mid-90’s, so the chain was well established by then. I don’t doubt that it gets called a place to go for tourists though. There’s tourists that think the Rainforest Cafe is a Chicago tradition, believe it or not. It’s definitely the Sbarro’s of Chicago pizza though.

But Uno’s is easily the worst Chicago pizza I’ve had, by a good amount. I don’t think the other chains - Lou’s, Giordano’s or Gino’s East - are particularly good either compared to those I listed from Chicago eatlier, but even those are well above Uno’s insofar as quality.

There’s actually two traditional Chicago style pizzas (three if you count Chicago style thin crust which doesn’t really have any defining features compared to other thin crusts). There’s the deep dish then a deep dish variant called stuffed pizza that has a second layer of dough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

It was originally local. It’s [allegedly] the origin of the Chicago style. But it became a chain a long time ago. I feel like the one by where I grew up in Upstate/Central NY came in in the mid-90’s, so the chain was well established by then. I don’t doubt that it gets called a place to go for tourists though. There’s tourists that think the Rainforest Cafe is a Chicago tradition, believe it or not. It’s definitely the Sbarro’s of Chicago pizza though.

But Uno’s is easily the worst Chicago pizza I’ve had, by a good amount. I don’t think the other chains - Lou’s, Giordano’s or Gino’s East - are particularly good either compared to those I listed from Chicago eatlier, but even those are well above Uno’s insofar as quality.

There’s actually two traditional Chicago style pizzas (three if you count Chicago style thin crust which doesn’t really have any defining features compared to other thin crusts). There’s the deep dish then a deep dish variant called stuffed pizza that has a second layer of dough. 

I went to one of the stuffed places too. I dont recall thinking they were dramatically different, but its nice variety.

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I went to one of the stuffed places too. I dont recall thinking they were dramatically different, but its nice variety.

I think Lou’s has stuffed and deep dish. I think that’s the other one you said you went to? I know some people like the stuffed, but I really only like it cold. The second layer often feels kinda soggy from the tomato and the steam from the ingredients underneath, rather than the crisp, buttery feel that the dough should have. Not really a fan. Lou’s uses a pretty watery tomato, so it’s extra bad imo.

12 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I think Lou’s has stuffed and deep dish. I think that’s the other one you said you went to? I know some people like the stuffed, but I really only like it cold. The second layer often feels kinda soggy from the tomato and the steam from the ingredients underneath, rather than the crisp, buttery feel that the dough should have. Not really a fan. Lou’s uses a pretty watery tomato, so it’s extra bad imo.

Ive been to Chicago a few times. Every time I go I hit up at least 2-3 different deep dish places. Same in NY, but its more than just pizza. Ill hit up anything that has ridiculous yelp reviews. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ive been to Chicago a few times. Every time I go I hit up at least 2-3 different deep dish places. Same in NY, but its more than just pizza. Ill hit up anything that has ridiculous yelp reviews. 

What other types of places have you hit up here?

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Oh yea you were way out there. I was in Saratoga. 

Yeah, right on the lake. So if you ever see me complaining about snow, I’m sure you can figure out why.

Saratoga is on the Hudson, right?

Just now, iPwn said:

What other types of places have you hit up here?

In Chicago or NYC? 

A bunch, I will try to remember a few:

Ditkas steak house

Gibsons

A bunch of bars downtown - including an awesome irish pub.

A famous hotdog place that I cant remember right now

Gio & Ginas (i remember those after you mentioned them)

I dunno, I just kinda wonder the streets with yelp. A lot of these places I get something small because I want to hit up multiple spots. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

In Chicago or NYC? 

A bunch, I will try to remember a few:

Ditkas steak house

Gibsons

A bunch of bars downtown - including an awesome irish pub.

A famous hotdog place that I cant remember right now

Gio & Ginas (i remember those after you mentioned them)

I dunno, I just kinda wonder the streets with yelp. A lot of these places I get something small because I want to hit up multiple spots. 

Go to Gibsons.  My wife and I loved it.