TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

Draft picks are always comically overrated on this forum.  Because people always assume that if they were in that position that they'd draft a stud.

I actually don't disagree with the Browns strategy to try and accumulate picks to build a decent foundation for a team... they have such a dearth of overall talent, that they need pieces.  But obviously, if you miss on a true franchise QB and you don't have one, it's not good.  But I do think it would've taken Wentz a bit more time to become the QB he is now, if he went to a really poor team like the Browns. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Draft picks are always comically overrated on this forum.  Because people always assume that if they were in that position that they'd draft a stud.

I actually don't disagree with the Browns strategy to try and accumulate picks to build a decent foundation for a team... they have such a dearth of overall talent, that they need pieces.  But obviously, if you miss on a true franchise QB and you don't have one, it's not good.  But I do think it would've taken Wentz a bit more time to become the QB he is now, if he went to a really poor team like the Browns. 

Now if Kizer works out it could be good, but he was considered a big project and looks HORRIFIC when he's in the game. When Kevin Hogan comes in an breathes some life into an offense compared to what Kizer was doing, it's bad.

I dont think Wentz would develop into what he is right now on the Browns. It was best for both teams. The Browns were a complete and total dumpster fire. They need to continue adding pieces and throw the brinks truck at Cousins this offseason. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

They need to continue adding pieces and throw the brinks truck at Cousins this offseason. 

So if the Browns can throw a max deal at you and the 49ers can re-unite you with your old OC and throw a max deal at you, where are you going?

5 minutes ago, Jlash said:

So if the Browns can throw a max deal at you and the 49ers can re-unite you with your old OC and throw a max deal at you, where are you going?

Fine, throw the brinks truck at Alex Smith. 

They need a veteran QB right now. Their team wears diapers they are so young. I mean, they can still draft a young QB - but having a little established leadership would be a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, Phire said:

I’d rather have the QB and build around him than no QB and searching for a needle in a haystack. 

There have been plenty of good QB prospects that have had their career stunted/destroyed by being on a bad team. I dont think Carson is a franchise QB if he is on the Browns right now. You gotta give your team some credit for developing the guy. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

There have been plenty of good QB prospects that have had their career stunted/destroyed by being on a bad team. I dont think Carson is a franchise QB if he is on the Browns right now. You gotta give your team some credit for developing the guy. 

Sure, but we had trash receivers last year, and seemingly fixed it in one offseason. It’s always easy to fix positions like WR, RB, etc.

But it’s hard to find a QB. Whether Wentz would have developed or not is moot IMO he’s a QB and this is a QB driven league. You always take the QB. If you can’t build around the QB then you just suck.

I'm done after the last post. I don't even know what to say to that Tyler dude. 

Apparently Carson Wentz hasn't proven anything more than DeShaun Watson guys. Lol. 

And I agree with @Phire . You don't pass on a QB simply because you're a bad team and want to acquire talent first. First of all, you can't just assume there's gonna be a QB you love the next year or the one after that. Should Indy have not taken Luck? Should Tampa not have taken Winston? Or Carolina with Cam? Should I go on? You take the QB and build around him. Not the other way around. 

What if you do what Cleveland did, only you're not Cleveland and you actually draft good impactful players? And then you re stuck going 6-10 or 7-9, with no franchise QB and without a top 3 pick to draft one? 

How many teams build a strong roster and then add a young franchise QB? Houston may have done it. The Chiefs could potentially have done if Mahomes works out. But you know what both those teams did? They gave up assets (like the Eagles with Wentz) to go up and get that guy. 

It's usually the other way around. You get a difference maker at QB and he makes others better, then you build around them.

Not everyone can nail a 2nd rounder like David Carr and instantly turn your team around.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

No one can truly say that or otherwise.

But Carson is the type of QB that changes your franchise IMO. It doesn't matter if he went to Cleveland. I don't think hed be putting up the kind of numbers he is now but I do think that he'd have changed that team completely. He's not a system QB..He proved last year he can carry the load on a bad offense. We won 7 games but according to advanced analytics, we were actually a 9 win team. Just saying