Call of Duty WW2

Scalamania

Here's something that's bound to turn a few heads: 

Activision patents microtransaction-based matchmaking for CoD WWII.

So let me get this straight: if I don't want to spend money on anti-consumer loot boxes, I simply get matched with other non-cosmetic players regardless of ping (which was already bad enough by itself in AW) or even stats? If it's not based on ping, then no sale. 

It gets worse: they'll be implementing a 10 GB day 1 patch just to keep the story from getting spoiled. 10 GB for a single patch, WTF? That's ridiculous.

Looks like the chickens are starting to roost. I saw the red flags with the shoddy map design in the beta, now I know I had valid cause for concern. Between microtransactioned-based matchmaking and requiring a 10GB patch, I think I might cancel my pre-order. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Wow. That is laughably bold. I wanted to get this game at some point but I will not pay a dime for this now. 

Exactly why I won't be getting Battlefront 2 at launch, I don't want to have to spend more money on top of the $60 I already paid for the game just to have a fighting chance. It's because of this BS that I might get the game for Christmas and real money loot upgrades will be a last resort for me.

And requiring a 10 GB patch just to avoid spoilers? That's like using a bomb to deal with a stray rat. With games already eating up 40-60 GB and requiring multiple software updates over time that are several gigs a pop, size DOES matter.

Just now, KManX89 said:

Exactly why I won't be getting Battlefront 2 at launch, I don't want to have to spend more money on top of the $60 I already paid for the game just to have a fighting chance. It's because of this BS that I might get the game for Christmas and real money loot upgrades will be a last resort for me.

And requiring a 10 GB patch just to avoid spoilers? That's like using a bomb to deal with a stray rat. With games already eating up 40-60 GB and requiring multiple software updates over time that are several gigs a pop, size DOES matter.

I honestly have much less of a problem with Battlefront 2's system and feel like it is way overblown. You can unlock things by playing normally and I don't think the unlocks grant you an obscene advantage. I'm not happy about it and would obviously prefer something like the battlepacks in Battlefield 1 but it's better than matching players by spending for advantageous matchups, that is disgusting. 

59 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I honestly have much less of a problem with Battlefront 2's system and feel like it is way overblown. You can unlock things by playing normally and I don't think the unlocks grant you an obscene advantage. I'm not happy about it and would obviously prefer something like the battlepacks in Battlefield 1 but it's better than matching players by spending for advantageous matchups, that is disgusting. 

Well, Michael Condrey said it's not actually gonna be used in-game, it was just researched:

Sledgehammer Games Retweeted
M.Condrey @CODWWII‏Verified account @MichaelCondrey Oct 17
Replying to @Drift0r

Thanks for taking a breath to gather the facts. I’ve never heard of this patent and that means it IS NOT in #CODWWII, period.

HOWEVER, keep in mind: he also said there'd be no SBMM in AW which turned out to be BS, so I'd take this with a grain of salt.

It's bad enough that they're requiring you to download a 10 GB patch just to play. 

12 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Well, Michael Condrey said it's not actually gonna be used in-game, it was just researched:

HOWEVER, keep in mind: he also said there'd be no SBMM in AW which turned out to be BS, so I'd take this with a grain of salt.

It's bad enough that they're requiring you to download a 10 GB patch just to play. 

They press those discs so early these days. Be happy they continue to fix stuff after that. It's better than doing nothing.

Edit: was the 10 gb really about preventing that? People could play the single and mp offline and they were spoiling left and right on Reddit.

14 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Here's something that's bound to turn a few heads: 

Activision patents microtransaction-based matchmaking for CoD WWII.

So let me get this straight: if I don't want to spend money on anti-consumer loot boxes, I simply get matched with other non-cosmetic players regardless of ping (which was already bad enough by itself in AW) or even stats? If it's not based on ping, then no sale. 

It gets worse: they'll be implementing a 10 GB day 1 patch just to keep the story from getting spoiled. 10 GB for a single patch, WTF? That's ridiculous.

Looks like the chickens are starting to roost. I saw the red flags with the shoddy map design in the beta, now I know I had valid cause for concern. Between microtransactioned-based matchmaking and requiring a 10GB patch, I think I might cancel my pre-order. 

Yeah this article is a lie... I've seen all of it spoiled. SP MP zombies. All of it. And that was offline without any patch. I'm sure a couple things were missing though.

What's microtransaction based mm? You lost me there. I'll go read up more though

Read the link lol. That's some stuff right there. But supposedly it's not in there.

10 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah this article is a lie... I've seen all of it spoiled. SP MP zombies. All of it. And that was offline without any patch. I'm sure a couple things were missing though.

What's microtransaction based mm? You lost me there. I'll go read up more though

Read the link lol. That's some stuff right there. But supposedly it's not in there.

Yeah I'm definitely not buying that, I don't trust this company at all haha. I might buy it way down the line when it's basically free but I'll be passing for a long time which is a shame because I had some high hopes for it. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah I'm definitely not buying that, I don't trust this company at all haha. I might buy it way down the line when it's basically free but I'll be passing for a long time which is a shame because I had some high hopes for it. 

I bought it just a minute ago. I'm dumb. Firsts COD I bought on release since.................who knows when. A long damn time. Greenmangaming had it for 48 bucks.

Just remembered I bought AW on release bc I forgot to cancel my preorder lol

6 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

The lead developer at Sledgehammer said he had never heard of this patent and flat our stated it is not in the game. That algorithm was developed by an Activision research team that is not associated with any game developers. At this point it is a patent simple to have the patent; companies do that ALL the time.

I'm going to wait a month or two and see how the supply drop system develops. There is no question they will be adding non-cosmetic content into the game, I just want to see if you can work towards unlocking the items you want, or if it is pure RNG like Black Ops 3.

I really like having new content added into games because it gives you something new to work towards, but pure RNG is complete BS. 

Just a little heads up: I DID get the game, and I'm glad that whatever microtransaction-based matchmaking they were considering isn't in there.

Still, the fact that they were even considering it IS a little worrisome. 

Loving the game BTW.

Archived