Mafia Mafia - Town Wins

Dome

57 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Honestly, I don’t understand why you guys even signed up if you’re not even going to provide helpful commentary to the players to promote an actual understanding of Mafia, rather than indulge the “follow the cop,” “no lynch wins games,” “look at this guy trying!”, “I’m new so, lockclear!” mantra that manufactures ****ty players.

Best way to learn is play.  Not be told things.  That's how I learned and most of us did. 

Just now, SwAg said:

Basically, this is an Open Role game, where all roles, abilities, and mechanics are known.  This removes speculation related to mechanics, and reduces the game down to its simplest form.

@Counselor, you’re not playing wrong or anything.  Just a village idiot claim in a game where all the roles are known, and village idiot is not among them, is likely to garner scrutiny.  It’s cool to lie about your role as any alignment.  I do it all the time, but we just know VI isn’t in the game.

So, basically, people are likely to categorize you as a guy lying to survive, lying to take a hit, or misreading a PM.

Oh I know ;)

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Let’s just say this. When I worked in Alaska I had a vice principal at my school who was from Oklahoma and who played dumb saying “I’m just a dumb Oakie” so he was never put in charge of anything because he messed up the things he was put in charge of early on. He collected a 120k a year salary while the rest of us shared his duties because we actually cared about the success of the students and the school for the same amount of salary as we would get if he was doing all his responsibilities anyway. Point is. Sometimes it pays to play dumb B| 

Yeah, I would agree in a closed setup.  I’m an open setup, claiming something not in the setup post is only going to have everyone looking at you.

Just now, SwAg said:

Yeah, I would agree in a closed setup.  I’m an open setup, claiming something not in the setup post is only going to have everyone looking at you.

And perhaps I shall be the lamb led to slaughter or perhaps it will save me. We shall see

9 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Best way to learn is play.  Not be told things.  That's how I learned and most of us did. 

3 minutes ago, The Orca said:

Agreed

Yeah, I agree.  I don’t understand.  I am not telling them what to do.  I’m providing some semblance of direction, which is beneficial.  It’s the same as teaching a person a new card game or board game in person, or providing them a cheat sheet for point values, or any other analogy that is helpful to visualize it.

In fact, what I’m advocating has been an educational paradigm since the start of civilization.  

They can ignore everything I say.  I don’t advise it, but they can.  I was Mafia in my first three games with great players and their guidance helped me a lot.  

As Town, I have incentive to help them as much as possible while I can.  It evens the playing field because (unless Mafia is two new players) I doubt a new player on Mafia has a teammate telling them “lol figure it out bro.”

6 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

So I can't do what I just did then and hedge my bets?

No. If you bold a name or no lynch, the last name or no lynch bolded in the post gets counted as the vote. Also, scum usually likes to hedge because it gives them an excuse when the person comes up civ

5 minutes ago, SwAg said:

I wonder if Ted’s empathy was genuine or if he’s scumbag encouraging No Lynch cuz he’s a scumbag.

I am a very empathic person.

I agree that all the newcomers should not be told what to do and should just play the game. I also think the longer they play the more they might enjoy this, hence why the no lynch, which is not a great strategy usually of course.

Archived