Pre combine mock offseason.

SimbaWho

Lions restructure CB Darius Slay, and DT Damon Harrison to save around 7 million dollars all together.

Lions cut OG TJ Lang.

Lions cut RT Ricky Wagner

Lions cut OG Kenny Wiggins

Lion cut S Glover Quin.

Lions cut DB Teez Tabor

Lions cut S Miles Killebrew

Lions cut TE Michael Roberts

Lions cut FB Nick Bawden.

(28.5 million Estimated saved. Cuts+Restructures.)

Trade:

Lions trade a 6th round pick and a 2020 5th round pick

Jaguars trade RB Leonard Fournette.

Lions trade WR Marvin Jones, RB Theo Riddick and a 2020 4th round pick.

Steelers trade WR Antonio Brown.

Signings:

Lions sign OLB Trey Flowers to a 5 year deal worth 47 million dollars, 9.5 million dollar signing bonus, 7.5 million dollar salary. 30 million guaranteed.

Lions sign OG A.J. Cann to a 5 year 30 million dollar deal, 7.5 million dollar signing bonus, 4.5 million dollar salary. *22 million guaranteed.

Lions sign OT Jordan Mills to a 4 year deal worth 20 million, 5 million dollar signing bonus, 3.75 million dollar salary. * 10 million guaranteed.

Lions sign WR Cole Beasley to a 3 year deal worth 12 million dollars, 1.5 million dollar signing bonus, 3.5 million dollar salary.

Lions sign DT Malcolm Brown to a 2 year deal worth 7 million dollars, 750k dollar signing bonus, 3.125 million dollar salary.

Lions sign DE/OLB Vinny Curry to a 2 year deal worth 7 million dollars, 750k dollar signing bonus, 3.125 million dollar salary.

Lions sign TE Jesse James to a 2 year deal worth 8 million dollars, 2.5 million dollar signing bonus, 2.75 million dollar salary.

Lions sign OLB Damien Wilson to a 2 year deal worth 5.5 million, 2.5 million dollar signing bonus, 1.275 million dollar salary.

Lions sign LB Ramik Wilson to a 2 year deal worth 5.5 million, 2.5 million dollar signing bonus, 1.275 million dollar salary.

Lions resign QB Matt Cassell to a 1 year deal worth 1.25 million dollars, 125k dollar signing bonus, 1.125 million dollar salary.

Lions resign LS Don Mulbach to a 1 year deal worth 1.25 million dollars, 125k dollar signing bonus, 1.125 million dollars salary.

Lions sign FB Tommy Bohanon to a 1 year deal worth 1.25 million dollars, 125k dollar signing bonus, 1.125 million dollars salary.

Lions resign DT Ricky Jean-Francois to a 1 year deal to the league minimum.

Lions resign OL Andrew Donnal to a 1 year deal to the league minimum.

Lions resign TE Luke Wilson to a 1 year deal to the league minimum.

Lions resign RB Zach Zenner to a 1 year deal to the league minimum.

Draft:

1st- Greedy Williams, CB. LSU. ( 6’2, 185lbs. ) 

2nd- Jerry Tillary, DL. Notre Dame. ( 6’6, 305lbs. )

3rd- (Eagles) Myles Gaskins, RB. Washington. ( 5’10, 195lbs. )

4th- Alize Mack, TE. Notre Dame. ( 6’3, 255lbs. )

6th- (Patriots) Prince Tega Wanogho, OT. Auburn. ( 6’7, 310lbs. )

7th- Kareem Orr, CB. Chattanooga. ( 5’11, 195lbs. )

7th- (Dolphins) Ryan Finley, QB. N.C. State. ( 6’3 210lbs. )

Signed

Resigned

Drafted

Traded for

Offense:

OT: Jordan Mills, Andrew Donnal

OG: A.J. Cann

OC: Frank Ragnow, Graham Glasgow

OG: Tyrell Crosby, Joe Dahl

OT: Taylor Decker, Prince Tega Wanogho

TE: Jesse James, Alize Mack, Luke Wilson

WR: Anotnio Brown, Kenny Golladay, Cole Beasley, Andy Jones, Brandon Powell

RB: Leonard Fournette, Kerryon Johnson, Myles Gaskins, Zach Zenner

FB/HB/TE: Tommy Bohanon

QB: Matt Stafford, Matt Cassell, Ryan Finley

Defense:  (3/4) (4/3) hybrid defense.

DE: Jerry Tillary, Malcolm Brown, Ricky Jean-Francois

DT: Damon “Snacks” Harrison, A’ Shawn Robinson

DE: Da`Shawn Hand, Romeo Okwara

OLB: Trey Flowers, Vinny Curry

ILB: Christian Jones, Jalen Reeves-Maybin

ILB: Jarrad Davis, Ramik Wilson

OLB: Devon Kennard, Damien Wilson

DE: Trey Flowers, Vinny Curry

DT: Malcolm Brown, Jerry Tillary, Ricky Jean-Francois

DT: Damon “Snacks” Harrison, A’ Shawn Robinson

DE: Romeo Okwara, Da`Shawn Hand

OLB: Christian Jones, Jalen Reeves-Maybin

ILB: Jarrad Davis, Ramik Wilson

OLB: Devon Kennard, Damien Wilson

CB: Darius Slay, Jamal Agnew, Kareem Orr

S: Quandre Diggs, Tavon Wilson

S: Tracy Walker, Charles Washington

CB: Greedy Williams, Nevin Lawson, Michael Ford

Special Teams:

K: Matt Prater

P: Sam Martin

LS: Don Mulbach

Feels a little Madden-esque. I feel quite a few teams would give quite a bit more for both players you traded for.   I would be happy with the offseason but I think drafting a RB after trading for Fournette and resigning Zenner is a waste at this point.  I'd go LB instead at that point as I would like some more potential at that spot. 

I always enjoy mock drafts and getting different looks. Just a few thoughts.

Cuts: When healthy, Lang is still one of our better OL. I expect he'll come back on a re-worked deal and we'll add someone in to compete for his spot. I'd want to re-work Wagner's deal a bit but I don't know if we get better by replacing him. I'd probably also want to stick with Killebrew and hope he can fill in as a hybrid S/LB.

Flowers: He's about to get paid. If the Patriots franchise tag him, we're looking at $17M - $18M/year. He's young as well, so you're probably looking at something like $85M over 5 years. I expect a guy like Ansah is going to get paid closer to the deal that you've proposed here.

TE: I don't feel like there was enough done to address the issues we've had at the position. The Lions have discussed how it's a priority item for them. This is a draft that seems pretty solid while FA is a bit weaker. I like adding James as a veteran. I'm not opposed to bringing back Willson since he has experience in Bevell's offense and is a decent run blocker. I'd rather we added a rookie in the first 3 rounds (whether a guy like Hockenson after a trade down or someone in rd 2/3) and another guy later in rounds 5-7 where we have multiple picks.

Fournette: I'd be all over this trade if we could pull it off.

AB: Initially I wasn't quite sure how to feel about this. On a closer look, this would be incredible if we could make it work out.

The overall cost to the Lions between dead money and AB's cap hit is between $18.8M to $20M. For the Steelers, we're looking at about $17M to $19.5M. If we annualize Jones' yardage, rec's and TD's you're looking at a 30% increase in production (1200 vs 900) in yards and 66% in TD's (15 vs 9). Even if you wanted to scale that back a bit (20% in yards and 30% on TD's) you're looking at a 1,000 yard receiver with 12 TD's.

Draft: I think the love for Greedy has tapered down a bit. I've also read that the Patriots (and Lions) tend to prefer to not throw a CB out too early into a key role. So I'd expect they'd be bringing in a veteran and maybe draft a different Domer in rd 2 like Julian Love to develop in that spot. Even with Flowers on board, I expect we'll either take a DL at pick 8 or trade down and grab a guy like Hockenson if he's there at 13 or 15. Our LB's really struggled in coverage and I don't see that this has really been addressed. Maybe you don't throw Christian Jones out but I'd like to see a guy brought in to replace him.

Yeah Idk, maybe the trades are Madden-esq. People always say that about trades I put into mocks. Fournette I kinda of based of the Carlos Hyde deal and the fact that player/team don't get along.

Brown, almost literally throwing something on the wall. Everyone know's he's worth more, but it seems the secrect is no one wants to really pay for him and Steelers are getting into a situation where they'll have to deal soon or release him, It's a saga that can't continue after the draft really. They don't want Bell 2.0. It's a bad look for a great, great, organization right now. 

Sounds a bit whimsical to me and more like a total rebuild.  An awful lot of moves, although I don't know if Marvin Jones is still with the team.  He's not currently listed on the roster or depth chart on the Detroitlions.com website.   Maybe he is being released or traded.

If we could get Leonard Fournette for a 6th this year and a 5th next year, I'm all in.   I'm gonna say no to Antonio Brown.  Too much drama, too big a cap hit, and too old. 

I don't know that cutting the whole right side of the OL is a good idea.  Wagner isn't horrible.  Tyrell Crosby just needs a bit more time to develop and there's your RT.  Sign Matt Paradis to play C, move Ragnow to RG, and Glasgow to LG.  Decent OL that should help move the ball.

Tre Flowers is going to get paid.  Maybe not as much as Lawrence or Clowney ,but probably more than the 5 yrs/ $47 million.  I like re-signing our own FA's, although I would re-sign Toilolo instead of Willson.

I don' like the draft except for Williams.  He's my pick if he's there at #8.  If you have Fournette, Johnson, and Zenner, you don't need a RB.  Particularly in the 3rd.  I'd be getting a TE or LB there 

2 hours ago, lioneye22 said:

Sounds a bit whimsical to me and more like a total rebuild.  An awful lot of moves, although I don't know if Marvin Jones is still with the team.  He's not currently listed on the roster or depth chart on the Detroitlions.com website.   Maybe he is being released or traded.

If we could get Leonard Fournette for a 6th this year and a 5th next year, I'm all in.   I'm gonna say no to Antonio Brown.  Too much drama, too big a cap hit, and too old. 

I don't know that cutting the whole right side of the OL is a good idea.  Wagner isn't horrible.  Tyrell Crosby just needs a bit more time to develop and there's your RT.  Sign Matt Paradis to play C, move Ragnow to RG, and Glasgow to LG.  Decent OL that should help move the ball.

Tre Flowers is going to get paid.  Maybe not as much as Lawrence or Clowney ,but probably more than the 5 yrs/ $47 million.  I like re-signing our own FA's, although I would re-sign Toilolo instead of Willson.

I don' like the draft except for Williams.  He's my pick if he's there at #8.  If you have Fournette, Johnson, and Zenner, you don't need a RB.  Particularly in the 3rd.  I'd be getting a TE or LB there 

That OL sounds awful.  Glasgow shouldn't be playing IMO.  Move Ragnow to his natural position and find some better guards.  I don't think there is a drop off between Wagner and Crosby right now and Crosby has upside.

Outsider opinion here, those trades are badly slanted in the Lions' favor. They don't seem realistic to me. Your FA valuations also seem a bit off in both directions. I'd say the most egregious is Trey Flowers. I would be quite surprised if he gets less than Olivier Vernon.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Outsider opinion here, those trades are badly slanted in the Lions' favor. They don't seem realistic to me. Your FA valuations also seem a bit off in both directions. I'd say the most egregious is Trey Flowers. I would be quite surprised if he gets less than Olivier Vernon.

This is exactly my thinking as well. That contract was signed in 2016.. so it's probably going to be closer to $90M when all is said and done.

Eh, Maybe you guys are right someone might open up the bank. We'll wait and see I guess. I'm personally having trouble with him being worth 90 million, but, yeah I guess when you pull up the Vernon Contract he should prolly get every bit Vernon did at the very least. 

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Eh, Maybe you guys are right someone might open up the bank. We'll wait and see I guess. I'm personally having trouble with him being worth 90 million, but, yeah I guess when you pull up the Vernon Contract he should prolly get every bit Vernon did at the very least. 

The franchise tag is worth about $17M alone. The Pats could make some moves to open up cap space in order to keep him. A team that wants to make it difficult for the Pats is going to have to open up the piggy bank and make it too difficult for them. 

Archived