49ers decline Garcon's option

NcFinest9erFan

It's honestly speaks volumes on how much underwhelming his time was here that we are only going to save $1 million to move on from him and elected to do so. 

Honestly, I think he has a little something in the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a solid wr3 type season for another team in a better situation. Best of luck to him. Quality guy, just didn't work out here. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's honestly speaks volumes on how much underwhelming his time was here that we are only going to save $1 million to move on from him and elected to do so. 

Honestly, I think he has a little something in the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a solid wr3 type season for another team in a better situation. Best of luck to him. Quality guy, just didn't work out here. 

Better question is, which of these FA signings have actually worked out for us? I mean Goodwin was a steal early on and then we give him a new deal and he gets hurt. Jimmy G/McKinnon are self-explanatory, Richburg plays hurt most of the season and is TERRIBLE, Gillam was a complete waste, likewise with Smith, Mitchell had a decent moment here and there but didn't give much, Juice Check is a beast so there is that, and Person/Fusco were solid. But when we give big money or good money, the signings definitely haven't worked out for us. That has to change soon, right? Right? RIGHT?????

How about instead of paying decent players premium money (Jimmy G not included), we actually make moves for legitimate top talent? This is why I would love to get Brown even if it costs us a 2nd (it won't), Thomas who we know will be elite for at least a few more seasons, etc. Time to get aggressive this offseason and make a big leap. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Better question is, which of these FA signings have actually worked out for us? I mean Goodwin was a steal early on and then we give him a new deal and he gets hurt. Jimmy G/McKinnon are self-explanatory, Richburg plays hurt most of the season and is TERRIBLE, Gillam was a complete waste, likewise with Smith, Mitchell had a decent moment here and there but didn't give much, Juice Check is a beast so there is that, and Person/Fusco were solid. But when we give big money or good money, the signings definitely haven't worked out for us. That has to change soon, right? Right? RIGHT?????

How about instead of paying decent players premium money (Jimmy G not included), we actually make moves for legitimate top talent? This is why I would love to get Brown even if it costs us a 2nd (it won't), Thomas who we know will be elite for at least a few more seasons, etc. Time to get aggressive this offseason and make a big leap. 

Don't forget the 4 million we basically gave Cooper to never play a down for us (his signing bonus and the guaranteed base). The deals that have worked for us: 

Juice. And we still massively overpaid, but given how much the deal was, what he brings to the table, it's not really an issue. 

Sherman. I Think that one was pretty self explanatory. 

Person / Fusco - both solid given what we paid them, how they performed. 

The Williams deal has been okay. 

I've been hyper critical of our free agency since the regime started. Some has played well enough to justify the contract, but only one contract (Sherman's) did I feel like was a great deal for us right from the off (You can include Goodwin in there as well. I'm not a huge fan of his, but that contract is ridiculously small given what guys like Enunwa make). 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't forget the 4 million we basically gave Cooper to never play a down for us (his signing bonus and the guaranteed base). The deals that have worked for us: 

Juice. And we still massively overpaid, but given how much the deal was, what he brings to the table, it's not really an issue. 

Sherman. I Think that one was pretty self explanatory. 

Person / Fusco - both solid given what we paid them, how they performed. 

The Williams deal has been okay. 

I've been hyper critical of our free agency since the regime started. Some has played well enough to justify the contract, but only one contract (Sherman's) did I feel like was a great deal for us right from the off (You can include Goodwin in there as well. I'm not a huge fan of his, but that contract is ridiculously small given what guys like Enunwa make). 

Forgot about Sherman, but no surprising a top player getting a good deal actually worked out for us. Granted, he was coming off an injury but still a good deal for both parties.

Williams has been good as well, but he wasn't given big money. We did extend him though, and of course, he gets banged up last year as well lol.

Oh wow, the Cooper deal totally slipped my mind. Now that was a disaster, no other way to put it.

Fair to say, Shanny/Lynch need to adjust their approach this offseason and go for top level talent even if it costs top dollar. BIG offseason for the duo. Will go a long way in determining if they are here for the long run or will need to be replaced in a few yeas. 

I think that's why you see us trimming the fat so to speak and creating as much room as possible right now. Do a lot of these guys need to go right now? Probably not as they aren't eating a great deal into our cap space but we are clearing guys out regardless. I think we are going to see an offseason where we are super aggressive in terms of who we are going after and the number of names the niners are mentioned with. Atleast I'm hoping so. Shanny and Lynch have to be well aware of their failed attempts at adding valuable, consistently contributing players through FA and trade and starting year 3 need to show some improvement on that front as well as results on the field. I don't think either one is on the hot seat yet, pretty far from it actually but if we see another disappointing year with minimal upside to look at headed into the following year their seats will get exponentially warmer than what they are now.

10 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

There he goes.... 

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Archived