Chiefs shopping Justin Houston

kingseanjohn

I'm iffy on this. It strikes me as the kind of potential trade where I don't know that we get the kind of compensation that can offset his impact. He's not who he was in 2014 anymore, but he's still a definite asset.

But, the cap hit is rough. And I'm sure we want to avoid a Hali repeat where we're paying a declining player top of position money. And while we're not there yet, we might be soon, with Houston. He's also a potential miscast in a 4-3 transition. I think we can make it work, but it's not his comfort zone, for sure.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm iffy on this. It strikes me as the kind of potential trade where I don't know that we get the kind of compensation that can offset his impact. He's not who he was in 2014 anymore, but he's still a definite asset.

But, the cap hit is rough. And I'm sure we want to avoid a Hali repeat where we're paying a declining player top of position money. And while we're not there yet, we might be soon, with Houston. He's also a potential miscast in a 4-3 transition. I think we can make it work, but it's not his comfort zone, for sure.

He was a 4-3 DE at Georgia, so he has played it before. Still it's been a while but I think he could transition just fine.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

No way the compensation is that low, especially if Schefter is accurate in saying there's a lot of interest.

You have a pass rusher on the wrong side of 30 who is likely to be a cap casualty if not traded. The team acquiring him will be on the hook for over $15 million this year. Last year, under similar circumstances, the Rams traded a 5th for Aqib Talib. I'm sticking to my guns here. Who has the motivation to tell Schefter that there's a bidding war?

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You have a pass rusher on the wrong side of 30 who is likely to be a cap casualty if not traded. The team acquiring him will be on the hook for over $15 million this year. Last year, under similar circumstances, the Rams traded a 5th for Aqib Talib. I'm sticking to my guns here. Who has the motivation to tell Schefter that there's a bidding war?

Ya but you have a team that isn’t looking to just dump him, the value is peaking their  interest.  So the value must be significant.

I’d say 2nd round pick. 

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

A 30 year old declining pass rusher with an injury history and 17m cap hit? 

I think his decline has been exaggerated. He was hurt the last two years. This year he was mostly healthy and had a good year. People think he should be getting 22 sacks each year and it isn’t realistic. 

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Exactly. There are several more productive players that were younger & cheaper and went for less.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but you have a team that isn’t looking to just dump him, the value is peaking their  interest.  So the value must be significant.

I’d say 2nd round pick. 

I could not disagree more. Chiefs want to keep Dee Ford. The expectation for awhile is that Houston would either be cut or traded to facilitate that. The Chiefs are looking to dump him.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

They can crap in one hand and wish in the other, but nobody is going to give them a solid draft pick. They'll have to hold onto him long-term if they don't want to settle for mediocre compensation.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

They can crap in one hand and wish in the other, but nobody is going to give them a solid draft pick. They'll have to hold onto him long-term if they don't want to settle for mediocre compensation.

Then they’ll just hold on to him.  I don’t see them dumping him.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I could not disagree more. Chiefs want to keep Dee Ford. The expectation for awhile is that Houston would either be cut or traded to facilitate that. The Chiefs are looking to dump him.

Dude had 9 sacks this year.  And 9 the year before that.  He’s pretty valuable.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Dude had 9 sacks this year.  And 9 the year before that.  He’s pretty valuable.

Justin Houston is still a good 3-4 OLB. Here's what's working against the Chiefs:

1. The Chiefs have Dee Ford and Mitch Morse hitting FA. They could retain both with minimal cuts but would not have money to do much else.

2. Houston is on the wrong side of 30.

3. Houston has had injury problems the last few years.

4. Houston will count $21+ million against the cap for KC (if they keep him) and $15+ million against the cap for any team acquiring him.

Teams know that KC wants to get rid of Houston. IMO, you're reading this situation totally wrong. KC isn't shopping Houston because of the interest. They're shopping Houston because they want to move him. Here are a number of articles speculating that Houston will not return to KC:

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Justin-Houston-unlikely-to-return-Kansas-City-Chiefs-129358146/

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/19/kansas-city-chiefs-what-to-do-with-justin-houston/

https://www.12up.com/posts/6300545-chiefs-insider-expects-team-to-cut-justin-houston-and-daniel-sorensen

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/2/14/18223549/arrowheadlines-justin-houston-is-a-strong-cut-candidate-for-19-offseason

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Justin-Houston-Chiefs-cap-casualty-129149354/

Archived