Chiefs shopping Justin Houston

kingseanjohn

24 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You have a pass rusher on the wrong side of 30 who is likely to be a cap casualty if not traded. The team acquiring him will be on the hook for over $15 million this year. Last year, under similar circumstances, the Rams traded a 5th for Aqib Talib. I'm sticking to my guns here. Who has the motivation to tell Schefter that there's a bidding war?

He's at 30, by a grand total of 30 days. Talib was 2 years older at the time at a position that ages much more quickly.

We don't need the cap space so bad that we're dumping him for a 5th. No way.

10 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think his decline has been exaggerated. He was hurt the last two years. This year he was mostly healthy and had a good year. People think he should be getting 22 sacks each year and it isn’t realistic. 

I think its more that he has been injury prone and hasnt even came close to that outlier 22 sack season since. He hasnt broke 10+ sacks in 4 years since that season.

With his age hitting 30, its doubtful he ever returns to a 12-14 sack level player and teams are probably looking at a often injured 5-9 sack player from here on out.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

He's at 30, by a grand total of 30 days. Talib was 2 years older at the time at a position that ages much more quickly.

That’s what I’m saying.  They’re shopping him for value, if they don’t get it they’ll just hang on to him.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

You won't get more than a Day 3 pick. Feel free to bookmark this and bring it back up if you do.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I think you’re wrong on this 

He is 30, hasnt played a full year or had a 10+ sack season since 2014, and has a huge cap hit.

I cant see anyone giving up much more than a 5th for him, and if the Chiefs dont like it, sure, they can hang on to him.    

It's a last ditch effort to try and get something, anything  (box of juicy fruits) in compensation  back before he's cut if he doesn't restructure.  Much in the same way Foles was "supposedly" getting  Franchised by the Eagles.

Put out a flier and pray someone wants to secure his services instead of competing with other organizations on the open market and potentially not having a shot.

Only way he's traded for IMO.

19 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He is 30, hasnt played a full year or had a 10+ sack season since 2014, and has a huge cap hit.

I cant see anyone giving up much more than a 5th for him, and if the Chiefs dont like it, sure, they can hang on to him.    

I mean, he's had two straight 9 sack seasons. It isn't like he has been unproductive.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean, he's had two straight 9 sack seasons. It isn't like he has been unproductive.

Oh I agree, and I wouldnt mind the Steelers looking into him in general, but you have to look at everything....and when you factor all of that in, do you really think a team is going to give up much more than a day 3 pick for him?   Lets face it, the reason the Chiefs are looking to trade him is for cap relief from a guy who really isnt playing up to that cap number.   I cant see any team giving up a day 2 pick for that....but who knows.

I don't see there being much of  a market - he's over thirty, he's been hurt to different extents every year for four years and he's got a cap hit of 17 million dollars. Trading a high pick for him would be a desperation move, that likely wouldn't pay off. A 5th would probably do the deal for team in win-now mode with plenty of cap. (Maybe the 49ers?)

The whole "premium pass rushers don't come on the market often" thing doesn't even apply IMO. Is Houston a premium pass rusher? 78 sacks in 8 years is decent enough, but over 25% came in one outlier season. For the most part Houston is 7-9 sacks a year...IF he's healthy (only played 3 full seasons in 8 years). Decently productive, but not worth the money he's being paid right now.

50 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I don't see there being much of  a market - he's over thirty, he's been hurt to different extents every year for four years and he's got a cap hit of 17 million dollars. Trading a high pick for him would be a desperation move, that likely wouldn't pay off. A 5th would probably do the deal for team in win-now mode with plenty of cap. (Maybe the 49ers?)

The whole "premium pass rushers don't come on the market often" thing doesn't even apply IMO. Is Houston a premium pass rusher? 78 sacks in 8 years is decent enough, but over 25% came in one outlier season. For the most part Houston is 7-9 sacks a year...IF he's healthy (only played 3 full seasons in 8 years). Decently productive, but not worth the money he's being paid right now.

30 sacks in 43 games since his big year. Still very productive with sacks he just misses (21 games in those 4 years) a lot of time. So he averages over 11 sacks since 2014 if it were over a 16 game season. His cap hit will be 15.5 in 2019 and 17.5 in 2020. If you have a 1 or 2 year window to make a move, or rollover cap to spend like the Browns, I could see sending more than a 5th. You're pretty much betting on his health.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

They can crap in one hand and wish in the other, but nobody is going to give them a solid draft pick. They'll have to hold onto him long-term if they don't want to settle for mediocre compensation.

Exactly.... Chiefs have no leverage in the negotiation. Either dump a declining asset for a mid round pick or keep him and strap yourself cap wise. 

Archived