Chiefs shopping Justin Houston

kingseanjohn

With all the very expensive mouths KC has to feed this season and next I think Houston is going to get released if they can't find a trade partner.  Unless he loves playing in KC more than anything it doesn't make much sense for him to restructure for peanuts.  If they can find someone willing to take on that massive contract, I'd imagine he gets traded for a 4th or 5th round draft pick.  

I see the chances being very slim that he's a Chief next season.  They aren't shopping him for value, their shopping him for cap relief.

did somebody say a second round pick earlier? come on now that would be insanity. if he doesn't end up just being cut i'll eat my cat. 9 sacks is a good season but it's LIKELY he'll decline from here on out, and what team is going to want to allocate 8/9% of their salary cap for that. 

Depends on if there really are team(s) that are after him. There's pros and cons to either way (contract, age, durability/ solid player with no real flaws, a leader, could help a team get over the top) The first thought I had was a 4th this year and a conditional 7th next year type of package but I guess we'll see.

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

John Dorsey is the ONLY guy I can see wanting to trade for him. That’s even questionable given his icy departure from KC. There’s familiarity and he’d fill a need.

Don't forget former Chiefs OLB coach Mike Smith is now in Green Bay. Desperate need for an edge rush and a new front office determined to prove they are unlike their predecessors. 

I could see as high as a 2nd round pick being given up for Houston, but more than likely I think any trade that gave up a pick as high of a 2nd would be a 2020 2nd based on playing time and performance.  So maybe something like a 2019 5th & Conditional 2020 pick that's between a 2nd and 5th round based on reaching 14 games and 12 sacks for the 2nd round pick, 14 games and 10 sacks for the 3rd round pick, 13 games and 9 sacks for the 4th, and the 5th would be sent over in any other situation.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

In all fairness to Houston, power rushers like him age very well. Look at Suggs. The dude is chugging along in his late 30s.

Depends on which injuries you get. 

But I agree, I think he will be solid for 3-4 years, I'd love the browns to pick him up for a 5th. 

Archived