BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

7 hours ago, Whicker said:

I wouldn't mind 6 rounds plus 3 rounds of Scramble. IMO, 5th plus is where you start taking guys that you like over value and two rounds of that is plenty.

No on 6 as it currently stands

I like this.

I'm no on 15

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

I've already stated that I am fine with a gradual approach of PFA's trading this year and implementing a slow roll of the draft change. So starting the new format is fine too.

I would say Rounds 1-5 at 4 years and 6-7 at 3 years so we don't have to go back ad vote on that again if we do get rid of those rounds it would sort it self out at that point.

The big point is that Rounds one needs to be 4 years in order for the contracts to line up and make sense.

I will Vote Yes to 1-5 4yrs and Yes to the 4 PFA's, only if we could somehow get it to start this year instead of 2020..

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

1. People generally don't like change when what they've been doing in the past is something they genuinely enjoy. 

2. "The good ole boy system" comment makes it seem like a portion of the league is being oppressed and held down by our current draft system. Who are these people?

It's clear you don't like the current draft style. You want less unknown variables in your draft. That's fine. But don't make it out to be the league fighting you on this great humanitarian effort or something. Lots of people really like the draft, and that's ok. You don't, and that's also ok.

I'm fine with adjusting the PFA style this year and seeing if people like it. I'm against wholesale changes when it's clear the vast majority really have fun with this style draft.

I love the current draft style and I am one of the good ole boys because I am one of the 5-8 people who do a ton of scouting and snag steals all the time.

That's not the point of the changes though. 

The weird staggered draft contract lengths contribute to most of the contract headaches once those players sign a second contract. That is the major fix needed.

Draft fatigue sets in after about round 5 and lots of owners just tap out at that point and miss picks and then make them up later or just trade late round picks away. Splitting the draft in two by having a larger round of PFA's will create another fun aspect for people to enjoy.

How many times have I said just skip me for round 7 as I am busy on the weekend that it happens and just come back and make all my picks at the end of the draft?

29 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I've already stated that I am fine with a gradual approach of PFA's trading this year and implementing a slow roll of the draft change. So starting the new format is fine too.

I would say Rounds 1-5 at 4 years and 6-7 at 3 years so we don't have to go back ad vote on that again if we do get rid of those rounds it would sort it self out at that point.

The big point is that Rounds one needs to be 4 years in order for the contracts to line up and make sense.

Ok, so my proposed changes would be such.  

1.  Contracts for players taken in the first round of the BDL draft would be reduced to 4 years.

2.  Contracts for players taken in the fifth round of the BDL draft would be increased to 4 years.

3.  PFA occurs in the same way as the regular BDL draft in that selections are made individually, not in a block.

4.  PFA selections can be traded from the time the NFL draft ends until the end of the PFA draft.  They can be traded for other PFA selections that year, PFA selections the following year, and regular draft picks the following year.  

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

I love the current draft style and I am one of the good ole boys because I am one of the 5-8 people who do a ton of scouting and snag steals all the time.

The weird staggered draft contract lengths contribute to most of the contract headaches once those players sign a second contract. That is the major fix needed.

Draft fatigue sets in after about round 5 and lots of owners just tap out at that point and miss picks and then make them up later or just trade late round picks away. Splitting the draft in two by having a larger round of PFA's will create another fun aspect for people to enjoy.

How many times have I said just skip me for round 7 as I am busy on the weekend that it happens and just come back and make all my picks at the end of the draft?

Making contracts more streamline is great and I'm all for it.

Have I missed this hoard of missed picks in the late rounds? I really don't remember this being such a big issue.

Also to clarify my no on 15, I like the current RFA system and I think this "minor change" WOULD drastically change that. Also while I see the "mirroring" of the NFL there should also be merit to being able to use your first rounder to draft a guy you like and have him for 5 years even if he isn't eligible for the standard 5th year option. It's very similar to the reason why NFL teams trade early seconds for late firsts for that extra year of control.

5 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

I will Vote Yes to 1-5 4yrs and Yes to the 4 PFA's, only if we could somehow get it to start this year instead of 2020..

We're not adding 2 more rounds of PFA without removing draft rounds. You don't need 11 draft slots each year. 9 as it is is more than NFL teams get. The real UDFA are picked up in the Shark Tank in August and Waiver claims during the season (I call that Back Drafting).

I think all that people are willing to do this year is maybe change the contracts and give the PFA trading a try with the current set of 2 rounds.

4 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Can you explain this better? It sounds like the bigger point of this proposal that I'm missing 

Just now, SirA1 said:

We're not adding 2 more rounds of PFA without removing draft rounds. You don't need 11 draft slots each year. 9 as it is is more than NFL teams get. The real UDFA are picked up in the Shark Tank in August and Waiver claims during the season (I call that Back Drafting).

I think all that people are willing to do this year is maybe change the contracts and give the PFA trading a try with the current set of 2 rounds.

I was referring to giving up our 6th and 7th rounders for the other 2 PFA picks.

4 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I don’t know about that. I had a blast using my 5 7th rounders, and all of them are on NFL rosters today.

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

1.  Contracts for players taken in the first round of the BDL draft would be reduced to 4 years.

2.  PFA occurs in the same way as the regular BDL draft in that selections are made individually, not in a block.

3.  PFA selections can be traded from the time the NFL draft ends until the end of the PFA draft.  They can be traded for other PFA selections that year, PFA selections the following year, and regular draft picks the following year.  

They should be tradable when the BDL draft starts. For that year only. So you can use them to move back up into the draft to grab a falling guy or once the PFA draft starts to trade up to get a guy but going into future years is not something else we should want to track.

8 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

2.  PFA occurs in the same way as the regular BDL draft in that selections are made individually, not in a block.

3.  PFA selections can be traded from the time the NFL draft ends until the end of the PFA draft.  They can be traded for other PFA selections that year, PFA selections the following year, and regular draft picks the following year.  

Guys.  if I may.  I think that these three things are things we can all agree to immediately for the next draft.  Let's agree to these, let's see how it works, and then come back to this topic in the summer meeting.

Let's focus on stuff that we can agree to.

Archived