BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

I am strongly opposed. Of course the issue I feel strongest about is the one where I'm busiest.

The NFL is consistently praised for its balanced schedule. A 12 game schedule with a 6 team playoff (yes I know we're not there yet) mimics this tried and true scheduling formula that has shown to be able to create plenty of drama in playoff races.

Even the schedule plan we have now isn't "balanced." The West division was stacked this year and the Pacific division avoided us entirely. Would 7th seeded Hawaii made the playoffs and made his championship run if he instead had to face off against OKC, Louisiana, and Long Beach last year instead of Camden, Gotham, and Sydney?

Schedule's aren't supposed to be completely "balanced." They're supposed to be one more thing that teams have to deal with in order to win a championship. With the 12 game look, the difficulty of your schedule is determined by something meaningful (your finish) rather than what division you randomly play that year.

Just now, Whicker said:

I am strongly opposed. Of course the issue I feel strongest about is the one where I'm busiest.

The NFL is consistently praised for its balanced schedule. A 12 game schedule with a 6 team playoff (yes I know we're not there yet) mimics this tried and true scheduling formula that has shown to be able to create plenty of drama in playoff races.

Even the schedule plan we have now isn't "balanced." The West division was stacked this year and the Pacific division avoided us entirely. Would 7th seeded Hawaii made the playoffs and made his championship run if he instead had to face off against OKC, Louisiana, and Long Beach last year instead of Camden, Gotham, and Sydney?

Schedule's aren't supposed to be completely "balanced." They're supposed to be one more thing that teams have to deal with in order to win a championship. With the 12 game look, the difficulty of your schedule is determined by something meaningful (your finish) rather than what division you randomly play that year.

balanced in your own division is the point.  if you, as i understand it,  want to go to less playoff teams, that's gonna be huge

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

balanced in your own division is the point.  if you, as i understand it,  want to go to less playoff teams, that's gonna be huge

I'd agree with you if there weren't a successful test of the model already being used.

I want to go to 4 playoff teams FTR, but I get that's a pipedream.

2 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Thanksgiving is WAY more of an issue than week 17, FWIW.

forgetting playoffs for now, would you prefer to keep scheduele as it is, starting a week early, and taking a turkey week break, or moving to 12 games

2 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

forgetting playoffs for now, would you prefer to keep scheduele as it is, starting a week early, and taking a turkey week break, or moving to 12 games

12 games. Week 2 and Thanksgiving bye 

I'm sorry but people seem to forget one thing.

Thanksgiving is an issue I can sympathize with I get that. But Xmas and week 17 also are. It is an issue, not only in terms of player availability but also in terms of owner availability. Of course no one is going to miss a gameplan week 16 and 17, but it's a challenge to get one when you have family holidays around. I have to remind y'all than 1. I did Mike's gameplan last year for the semis. 2. the year before, we had like 10 votes for the semis. So it's not just me who's not really around at that time

My proposal would be:

• 12 weeks, format mimics Conference scheduling IRL
  • Start at preseason W4 (- with no rookies???) OR double up one week
  • No Thanksgiving
  • No weeks 16 & 17

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

I'm sorry but people seem to forget one thing.

Thanksgiving is an issue I can sympathize with I get that. But Xmas and week 17 also are. It is an issue, not only in terms of player availability but also in terms of owner availability. Of course no one is going to miss a gameplan week 16 and 17, but it's a challenge to get one when you have family holidays around. I have to remind y'all than 1. I did Mike's gameplan last year for the semis. 2. the year before, we had like 10 votes for the semis. So it's not just me who's not really around at that time

My proposal would be:

• 12 weeks, format mimics Conference scheduling IRL
  • Start at preseason W4 (- with no rookies???) OR double up one week
  • No Thanksgiving
  • No weeks 16 & 17

christmas is a tuesday this year, i don't see this being as big an issue.  maybe something to address down the road when it falls closer to a weekend

people also quit voting when it doesn't affect their team.  been that way since i joined

4 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

In terms of give-a-damn, I'd say it's Thanksgiving.

Honestly, for week 17, I think we may just have to go all-or-nothing.  Nothing isn't really an option, so we go for all.  If they played week 16, you can play them week 17.  Remove all subjectivity.

+1

I'm down for Ted's proposal and it makes sense. 

Is a "balanced schedule" really the only argument here? Or is it that we'll get less BDL? 

There is no balanced schedule. See above. I argue that not playing the West division and its three playoff teams was a significant factor in Hawaii's playoff berth and championship victory. That's not a complaint or trying to discredit the win or anything. It is only to show the imbalances in our current schedule. 

If it's because we'll get less BDL then my argument is that this thing is year round. I haven't stopped thinking about BDL at all this year. Every football bit of news brings me back here. I don't think a shorter schedule is going to keep people from being into this league. 

Archived