BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

The regular season may end in thanksgiving, but playoffs would begin the weekend after.

Yes, but if a player gets injured Thanksgiving, then they are injured for the playoffs regardless.  And this will actually cause injuries to be less of a factor because one of our regular season weeks will be during preseason when none of our guys will be playing.  

Sorry, I am not getting your point here.  

What is the argument for a 14 game schedule? Can I at least get a response to this question. 

Would you all listen to me if I rebutted your argument? 

Why even have these discussions if the answer is no?

22 minutes ago, Whicker said:

What is the argument for a 14 game schedule? Can I at least get a response to this question. 

Would you all listen to me if I rebutted your argument? 

Why even have these discussions if the answer is no?

I like being able to gameplan for 14 weeks.  I personally am very against shortening the season at all.  We have issues during Thanksgiving, which my proposal would fix, but I don't think we have overall issues with activity or people getting gameplans in later in the season.  I don't think the length of the season is the issue or needs to be fixed.  

I have never not listened to one of your arguments.  I may not agree or vote that way, but I listen.  

Because even if the answer is no on what you specifically may want, it can allow us to find and discuss middle ground.

I'm all for giving rags idea a shot and if it doesn't work see what happens next year.  I fully understand Teds Xmas issue and Whicker turkey day issu.e.  I believe the turkey day bye start a week early addresses Whicker and when Xmas falls closer to a gameplan weekend we definitely can address it 

I can agree with starting in preseason although it is not my preference. Any proposal that doesn't address Thanksgiving is a non-starter for me.

I can't argue against people that want to have 14 games just because they want 14 games, but IMO it's not about that or what the people who are used to the grind are able to accomplish.

I believe that I, Whicker, am a reliable and active member of BDL. Does anyone dispute this? If you do not dispute this, how can you say that a 14 game schedule does not have an effect on gameplanning or wearing out? I am just one person, but I'm one of only sixteen people. My experience is a big part of the BDL experience, and I have proven to be unable to handle an entire 14 game season.

So, which is it? Am I a lower tier member in terms of activity and therefore I am the one that needs to catch up to the rest of you all or get out? Or do I represent someone who is more than willing to put up the necessary effort to contribute to this league?

If 14/16 of the league or something believes a 14 game schedule is fine and that the effects that it has on me is a personal problem then I'll get over it. If however, as I believe, I represent an average or even above average person in terms of activity level and commitment, then the 14 game schedule absolutely has a negative effect on people's experiences in the league.

Weeks 2-16 with a 12 week schedule and a bye during Thanksgiving sounds ideal to me.

12 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I can agree with starting in preseason although it is not my preference. Any proposal that doesn't address Thanksgiving is a non-starter for me.

I can't argue against people that want to have 14 games just because they want 14 games, but IMO it's not about that or what the people who are used to the grind are able to accomplish.

I believe that I, Whicker, am a reliable and active member of BDL. Does anyone dispute this? If you do not dispute this, how can you say that a 14 game schedule does not have an effect on gameplanning or wearing out? I am just one person, but I'm one of only sixteen people. My experience is a big part of the BDL experience, and I have proven to be unable to handle an entire 14 game season.

So, which is it? Am I a lower tier member in terms of activity and therefore I am the one that needs to catch up to the rest of you all or get out? Or do I represent someone who is more than willing to put up the necessary effort to contribute to this league?

If 14/16 of the league or something believes a 14 game schedule is fine and that the effects that it has on me is a personal problem then I'll get over it. If however, as I believe, I represent an average or even above average person in terms of activity level and commitment, then the 14 game schedule absolutely has a negative effect on people's experiences in the league.

Weeks 2-16 with a 12 week schedule and a bye during Thanksgiving sounds ideal to me.

I think that starting in week 4 of preseason would work well as it allows us to remove Thanksgiving.

I don't think it has to do with being used to the grind or what someone can accomplish in that regard, but I do like having 14 weeks of regular season.

I would agree that you are a reliable and active member of BDL.  And I would agree that a 14 game schedule can be a grind which can effect game planning.  Personally, I enjoy that grind aspect.  Yes, you are but one of sixteen, but I think that we have a very close-knit community that does try to take individual needs into consideration.

You are not a lower tier member that gets to catch up or get out.  But you do represent someone more than willing to put in the effort.  We have all seen that since the day you joined.

I am sorry that any issues the length of the season cause you problems.  And I do want to find a way to alleviate that.  

That said, I would prefer that we first try this method and see how a BDL bye week helps us.  If at this time next year, you and others feel the same way about a total scheduling revamp, I will personally be much more welcoming to the idea.  But you are suggesting a massive change.

You know that I want you, and everyone here, to enjoy BDL as much as I do.  And if the majority of owners wish to enact such a change effective immediately, then I will adapt and continue to enjoy BDL as much as I have all these years.  But I personally would prefer that we approve Proposal 35 to address this issue and the issue of week 17 inactives, and if that is not enough come next year, then we will take further steps to make BDL better next year.  

At the end of the day, that's the goal.  

11 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Proposal 35 - 

A.  The regular season will begin during week 4 of the preseason and Thanksgiving will be a BDL bye week.

B.  If a player is active during week 16 of the NFL season but not week 17, they will be considered as active for week 17 of the BDL season.  If they are not active week 16 or week 17, then they will not be considered active for week 17 of the BDL season.  

Yes, this does raise the slight possibility that a player could tear an ACL or have another serious injury week 16 and still be active for a Bizzbowl, but I think that taking this strictly objective measure is much better than the subjective method we had last year.  

I hear the people bringing up a total revamp of the schedule, but would suggest these two moves for next season so we can see how they work out and if we need to take additional measures the following year.  

Proposal 36

BDL starts week 1

12 week reg season

Bye week with no waivers on Thanksgiving

Bizz Bowl will happen between week 16 and week 17, at a date agreed by both participants, and votes will be open for 5 days.

Bizz Bowl player availability will be decided with week 15 NFL availability. If a player is out for the semi, he's out for the final.

8 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

I'm all for giving rags idea a shot and if it doesn't work see what happens next year.  I fully understand Teds Xmas issue and Whicker turkey day issu.e.  I believe the turkey day bye start a week early addresses Whicker and when Xmas falls closer to a gameplan weekend we definitely can address it 

Goal is to decide for every year. Don't want to bring up the issue very year

8 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Proposal 36

BDL starts week 1

12 week reg season

Bizz Bowl will happen between week 16 and week 17, at a date agreed by both participants, and votes will be open for 5 days.

Bizz Bowl player availability will be decided with week 15 NFL availability. If a player is out for the semi, he's out for the final.

I'd vote no to that for this year.  I'd want to see how proposal 35 worked before I went that drastic. If 35 isn't enough, then we look at that option for 2020.

Okay so is there anything else anyone else wants to say on this topic?

I feel like this is a big deal that affects everyone. IMO there should be more discussion here. 

If everyone is happy with a 14 game schedule then I'm not going to keep arguing to nobody. 

17 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

So what are the options exactly? 

On 3/12/2019 at 4:12 PM, Ragnarok said:

Proposal 35 - 

A.  The regular season will begin during week 4 of the preseason and Thanksgiving will be a BDL bye week.

B.  If a player is active during week 16 of the NFL season but not week 17, they will be considered as active for week 17 of the BDL season.  If they are not active week 16 or week 17, then they will not be considered active for week 17 of the BDL season.  

Yes, this does raise the slight possibility that a player could tear an ACL or have another serious injury week 16 and still be active for a Bizzbowl, but I think that taking this strictly objective measure is much better than the subjective method we had last year.  

I hear the people bringing up a total revamp of the schedule, but would suggest these two moves for next season so we can see how they work out and if we need to take additional measures the following year.  

13 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Proposal 36

BDL starts week 1

12 week reg season

On this matter, I believe it is between these two options.

Or we keep things as they are, which I believe we all agree isn't for the best.

Archived