Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

https://x.com/granthpaulsen/status/1692315747874127977?s=46&t=6HL-uBrK4qbGh3V530lFEg

@granthpaulsen

“2023 Nats: 55-67
2022 Nats: 55-107

Abrams has made a leap. Ruiz has made a leap. Gray was an All-Star. Gore looks like the real deal. Wood and House have had big years in the minors. Crews was added at No. 2 overall. Things are looking up.”

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't see any point in keeping Crews and Woods down to start the year? You have to give the fans something to watch. I love Abrams, Gore, Ruiz etc. but you need some kind of star talent up. I can't wait til 2025 when Brady House is up. He's going to be a monster. 

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don't see any point in keeping Crews and Woods down to start the year? You have to give the fans something to watch. I love Abrams, Gore, Ruiz etc. but you need some kind of star talent up. I can't wait til 2025 when Brady House is up. He's going to be a monster. 

Teams who have done the tanking process have proven that you don’t need to do that.  The Orioles and Diamondbacks tied in 2022, and the Orioles won the tiebreaker.  An additional walk-off prevents the Orioles from drafting Jackson Holliday, and probably has them drafting injury-prone Druw Jones.  

Also, even looking at it from a front office perspective beyond wins and losses, why would you start the time on Crews and Woods now?  Keep bringing them along slowly, especially with Cavalli set to miss most of this season rehabbing from TJS.   Brady House is also a year away.  

The Nats is a very top-heavy system, which also gives them a year to look at other ways to fill out a competitive roster in a couple seasons.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Teams who have done the tanking process have proven that you don’t need to do that.  The Orioles and Diamondbacks tied in 2022, and the Orioles won the tiebreaker.  An additional walk-off prevents the Orioles from drafting Jackson Holliday, and probably has them drafting injury-prone Druw Jones.  

Also, even looking at it from a front office perspective beyond wins and losses, why would you start the time on Crews and Woods now?  Keep bringing them along slowly, especially with Cavalli set to miss most of this season rehabbing from TJS.   Brady House is also a year away.  

The Nats is a very top-heavy system, which also gives them a year to look at other ways to fill out a competitive roster in a couple seasons.  

The orioles also nailed most of their picks and were probably the main reason we got screwed out of having the first pick this year. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hate that Stras got hurt but I’m glad he finally retired. As @AB said, his contract really crippled the Nats salary cap after they won the World Series bc they were still paying him Ace Pitcher $ but he couldn’t play.

I usually watch about 85% of the games. Follow the draft and keep up on the prospects but honestly this year my heart just hasn't been it. We play the Phillies and Harper, Turner and Schwarber come up to bat and its a punch in the stomach. Soto is suiting up in pinstripes and its just getting old. The not paying players stuff kinda wore on me. I get letting one or two go but losing all of them was just ridiculous. I guess not paying Rendon worked out but it was still just another guy they let walk. I've watched 2.5 games so far and we're so bad its just not even worth it. I figured when I was watching the 100-loss teams that we would never revert to that and we've basically been that for 4 years now with almost no end in sight because the pitching is so bad. I'm a big fan of Rizzo but I really do not understand the continued employment of Davey and crew? And the Lerners deciding to keep the team was a bummer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I usually watch about 85% of the games. Follow the draft and keep up on the prospects but honestly this year my heart just hasn't been it. We play the Phillies and Harper, Turner and Schwarber come up to bat and its a punch in the stomach. Soto is suiting up in pinstripes and its just getting old. The not paying players stuff kinda wore on me. I get letting one or two go but losing all of them was just ridiculous. I guess not paying Rendon worked out but it was still just another guy they let walk. I've watched 2.5 games so far and we're so bad its just not even worth it. I figured when I was watching the 100-loss teams that we would never revert to that and we've basically been that for 4 years now with almost no end in sight because the pitching is so bad. I'm a big fan of Rizzo but I really do not understand the continued employment of Davey and crew? And the Lerners deciding to keep the team was a bummer. 

Harper & Rendon weren't re-signing but, I believe we should've paid Soto & Turner. Those two should be our 2 best players still. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Harper & Rendon weren't re-signing but, I believe we should've paid Soto & Turner. Those two should be our 2 best players still. 

Harper absolutely would've re-signed. The deferred payments were outrageous. The Lerners were just stupid about the contract. 

• Like 1