Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

Reports: Nationals trade Juan Soto to San Diego

“The Washington Nationals have traded star outfielder Juan Soto and Josh Bell to the San Diego Padres, according to multiple reports.

ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports the Nationals will receive Padres rookie pitcher Mackenzie Gore, shortstop C.J. Abrams and three other prospects in the deal.

Outfielders Robert Hassell III and James Wood, and right-hander Jarlin Susana are also reportedly headed to Washington in the trade.”

https://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2022/08/reports-nationals-trade-juan-soto-to-san-diego/

4 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Does this market have the worst ownership in its entirety in all of sports?

I would say yes but, at least the Nats/Lerners delivered a World Series before blowing it all up. I hope in 2 or 3 years several of these prospects they got back in return, some of their draft picks the last few years & next years #1 draft picks and maybe a #1 draft pick in two years end up being great players too. But, we won’t know if that plans out for several years.

12 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Does this market have the worst ownership in its entirety in all of sports?

Well Snyder really hurts the average here but the Lerners and their deffered contracts have def dismantled this team. We’ve made moves in the past that helped us win it all but also set us up for this recent lack of young bright talent.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Well Snyder really hurts the average here but the Lerners and their deffered contracts have def dismantled this team. We’ve made moves in the past that helped us win it all but also set us up for this recent lack of young bright talent.

I'd do it all again for the World Series win.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

True but the Soto deal brings back a lot of young talent. Plus, the Nats have several young guys in the pipeline that frankly should be playing in the big leagues now that Soto & Bell are gone & they're going to have the #1 pick this year and likely a top 5 or 10 pick next year too.

They’re reloading with a lot of young talent. They’re basically the anti-Commanders & Wizards. Instead of probably staying mediocre or slightly above for a few years if they keep their best player, they did a fire-sale to rebuild. 

Now, there’s no guarantee that the players they traded for and the prospects they already have in minors will turn out good or their high draft picks the next few years but it’s a good plan for the future.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True but the Soto deal brings back a lot of young talent. Plus, the Nats have several young guys in the pipeline that frankly should be playing in the big leagues now that Soto & Bell are gone & they're going to have the #1 pick this year and likely a top 5 or 10 pick next year too.

Not to be too much of a spoilsport, but the draft lottery goes into effect next year, so what they’ll have is a 16.5% chance of getting the top pick. I continue to hold out hope that the Orioles will miss the playoffs by a game and then win the lottery to pick #1 yet again 😂

That said, the Soto/Bell deal is the best the Nats possibly could have done once Soto turned down their best offer. Yes, they absolutely low-balled him — but if that’s the best they could swing, what else can you do? Go get an absolute raft of talent for him, which they certainly did. If even just Abrams, one of the CFs, and one of the SPs turn into good starters or better, that’s an all-time great trade package. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, e16bball said:

Not to be too much of a spoilsport, but the draft lottery goes into effect next year, so what they’ll have is a 16.5% chance of getting the top pick. I continue to hold out hope that the Orioles will miss the playoffs by a game and then win the lottery to pick #1 yet again 😂

That said, the Soto/Bell deal is the best the Nats possibly could have done once Soto turned down their best offer. Yes, they absolutely low-balled him — but if that’s the best they could swing, what else can you do? Go get an absolute raft of talent for him, which they certainly did. If even just Abrams, one of the CFs, and one of the SPs turn into good starters or better, that’s an all-time great trade package. 

He was still here for another 2 years after this season correct? If this is the best they could get in general than fine, but I just would like to know should they have waited a little longer before trading him with him still under contract until 2025 I believe. 

I had to sign back in for this. Basically the Lerners and their cheap ways have sucked the life out of the organization I love. The fact they couldn’t come to terms on a contract extension with four of the best players in baseball, not even one of them is embarrassing and absurd. They can’t be gone soon enough. Trading Soto is not just dumb and inexcusable it’s soul crushing as a fan. Especially when the package is surrounded around another elbow injury riddled pitcher. 

This would be like the Bulls deciding they couldn’t pay Michael Jordan or the Chiefs trading Pat Mahomes instead of paying him after their super bowl win. I don’t care about the “he wasn’t going to sign” crap. You wait 2.5 years whilst building around him and you pay him more than anyone else is offering and when it’s all done he’s got a statue outside of your stadium. This is the type of talent they just dealt away. And I don’t want to hear about $440M when again there was a Lerner caveat (AAV). There’s always a caveat with these clowns. 

Look at all these prospects we just got guys! Yeah they’ll fit in great next to Robles, Fedde and Keiboom. Another group of highly touted prospects we couldn’t develop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I had to sign back in for this. Basically the Lerners and their cheap ways have sucked the life out of the organization I love. The fact they couldn’t come to terms on a contract extension with four of the best players in baseball, not even one of them is embarrassing and absurd. They can’t be gone soon enough. Trading Soto is not just dumb and inexcusable it’s soul crushing as a fan. Especially when the package is surrounded around another elbow injury riddled pitcher. 

This would be like the Bulls deciding they couldn’t pay Michael Jordan or the Chiefs trading Pat Mahomes instead of paying him after their super bowl win. I don’t care about the “he wasn’t going to sign” crap. You wait 2.5 years whilst building around him and you pay him more than anyone else is offering and when it’s all done he’s got a statue outside of your stadium. This is the type of talent they just dealt away. And I don’t want to hear about $440M when again there was a Lerner caveat (AAV). There’s always a caveat with these clowns. 

Look at all these prospects we just got guys! Yeah they’ll fit in great next to Robles, Fedde and Keiboom. Another group of highly touted prospects we couldn’t develop. 

I agree but I would point out that in 1999 the Bulls’s front office of the Jerry’s did decide that they no longer wanted to pay for Michael Jordan & Scottie Pippen but, they didn’t do so when Jordan & Pippen were in their early to mid 20s, they made the decision to move on an rebuild when Jordan & Pippen were in their 30s.

Totally agree with the rest though. I sure hope many of these prospects as well as the ones they already have & will acquire over the next few years of suckage but they will probably never have a Soto type player again in their history which is complete sad and stabs the fans in the back.

21 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I agree with all of your points, but the main one missing was that Soto would never have signed until FA at the earliest. Boras wouldn't have allowed it.