Rumor: Raiders Considering drafting Haskins or Murray

bucksavage1

http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Raiders-Considering-Drafting-Kyler-Murray-or-Dwayne-Haskins

Raiders general manager Mike Mayock and head coach Jon Gruden both have expressed confidence in Oakland quarterback Derek Carr at the NFL Scouting Combine. After making the playoffs a couple of years ago, the Raiders have been thrust into rebuilding mode with the trades of Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper, landing Oakland three first-round picks to help jump start the rebuilding process. While Carr is only turning 28 this year, trading Carr and drafting a quarterback is something the Raiders are considering as part of their rebuilding process, according to sources.  

Per sources, the Oakland brass likes Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray and Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Taking one of them and trading Carr would give the Raiders a young quarterback to build around while having that signal-caller on a cheap 5-year contract. Sources say they could consider trading Carr for a first-round pick or for talented young players. The team likes Carr, but they are looking at every avenue possible to get the team better in building for the long term.  

Salary cap issues are significant in Oakland. As we discussed in our combine preview, the contracts that former general manager Reggie McKenzie gave out forced the Raiders to trade Khalil Mack. Sources with the team were dumbfounded that the team did not extend Mack and instead locked an insane amount of money, around $30 million per year, to signing their two guards and center. Adding in Carr making over $20 million on his extension, the Raiders were unable to extend Mack and build up the rest of the roster. No team in the NFL can have over $70 million dollars locked up in just five players. Carr and guard Gabe Jackson came from the same draft class as Mack (2014), and for an inexplicable reason, those players were extended before Mack. Thus, when Mark Davis claimed responsibility for the Mack trade, that was accurate, as the contracts that Gruden and now Mayock inherited forced that trade. <br> <br> 

The Raiders are weighing their options with building around Carr, or trading Carr to start over and build around a new quarterback. All options are on the table, including drafting Murray or Haskins and trading Carr for draft picks and/or players. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Raiders-Considering-Drafting-Kyler-Murray-or-Dwayne-Haskins#ixzz5h1taZQjL

Seems like all options are open to improve the team. There is no guarantee we draft a QB or no guarantee Carr is the opening kickoff starter

Whether you believe it or not we are considering a new QB no matter what is said in public

There's a split on this board and raider nation about Derek Carr. Personally I think he is an  average to above average NFL starter who is a complete different QB when he gets pressured.

New GMs and coaches tend to want to draft their own QB instead of carry overs from the previous regime

Lololololol

This does make me happy. That gruden and mayock have the power to put any narrative out there in the media they want since they have so many connections. The only reason we are linked to QBs is because Gruden and Mayock want people to think they are interested so anyone after them knows if they want the QB of the choice they need to trade up to 1, 2 or 3. Leaving a better player at a position of need available. 

8 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Article doesnt make sense. The contracts reggie handed out hurt our cap? He saved us from cap hell and we have 80 mill in room

Isn’t Walter football something to take with a grain of salt. Also I could be wrong haven’t they always had an anti Reggie spin ?

8 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Article doesnt make sense. The contracts reggie handed out hurt our cap? He saved us from cap hell and we have 80 mill in room

LG ($11.7 M) - C ($8.9 M) - RG ($11 M)

QB ($25 M)

RB ($4.5 M)

That is $61.1 Million right up the middle of our O.  That is a third of the teams total cap right there.  This handcuffed us with signing Mack.  The author is correct that when looking at signing Carr, Mack, and Jackson we should have looked to Mack first.  Mack is a Hall of Famer and we will be lucky to get Jackson or Carr back to Pro Bowl status.  If we signed Mack and Cooper that is $100 million tied up in 7 players.  We had to make a decision and RM choose wrong.  It is hurting us but what RM did correctly is that we could have cut all of them earlier in the year without much dead money.  Next year we could cut $55 million in cap space with only $6 million in dead cap.  We could still get rid of these over priced players in a trade but can not just cut them now that most of their guarantees have kicked.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

LG ($11.7 M) - C ($8.9 M) - RG ($11 M)

QB ($25 M)

RB ($4.5 M)

That is $61.1 Million right up the middle of our O.  That is a third of the teams total cap right there.  This handcuffed us with signing Mack.  The author is correct that when looking at signing Carr, Mack, and Jackson we should have looked to Mack first.  Mack is a Hall of Famer and we will be lucky to get Jackson or Carr back to Pro Bowl status.  If we signed Mack and Cooper that is $100 million tied up in 7 players.  We had to make a decision and RM choose wrong.  It is hurting us but what RM did correctly is that we could have cut all of them earlier in the year without much dead money.  Next year we could cut $55 million in cap space with only $6 million in dead cap.  We could still get rid of these over priced players in a trade but can not just cut them now that most of their guarantees have kicked.

8.9 mill for best center in league is bad deal? Hardly. Also 11 mill for osmele everyone was jumping for joy for. Those three made up a top line a few years ago no one complained about. We had money to sign mack if need be. I would hardly say we are in cap hell. Our oline combined now makes as much as two guys on others line. 

Seth Roberts on the other hand terrible deal haha. No matter how much we gave him. 

Just now, roi34 said:

8.9 mill for best center in league is bad deal? Hardly. Also 11 mill for osmele everyone was jumping for joy for. Those three made up a top line a few years ago no one complained about. We had money to sign mack if need be. I would hardly say we are in cap hell. Our oline combined now makes as much as two guys on others line. 

Seth Roberts on the other hand terrible deal haha. No matter how much we gave him. 

It is not one individual contract but the cumulative amount concentrated in one area of the team.  I could have the best O-line in the history of football and pay them as the best but that would leave very little money to spend in other areas.  If I did not hit on my draft picks I would have a bad team.  Just having 2 players making $20-25 a year is very difficult.  When teams are too top heavy they are generally not very good.  Combined with not drafting well and the team sucks.

27 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It is not one individual contract but the cumulative amount concentrated in one area of the team.  I could have the best O-line in the history of football and pay them as the best but that would leave very little money to spend in other areas.  If I did not hit on my draft picks I would have a bad team.  Just having 2 players making $20-25 a year is very difficult.  When teams are too top heavy they are generally not very good.  Combined with not drafting well and the team sucks.

Wasn’t Mack made an offer in 2017 he turned it down ( according to Tommy boy). 

I do not remember the rumors or the details but it does not change my belief that it was not handled the right way.  Our coaching hires where horrible and combined with drafting one way and then changing schemes blew what could have been a good team.  This team has been dysfunctional for 2 decades almost.and giving that contract to Gruden straight out of the booth is a huge gamble.  If Gruden can make it work Davis will look like a genius but if Gruden is not it will set us back way worse than any blown pick.  Bryant plus how and when Mack was traded gives me little hope for the future.  I am putting my hopes on a TV analyst with no front office experience now.  Not because he is great but because he is the only aspect of this team that has not disappointed me in the past couple years.

1 hour ago, OG_C2X said:

Lololololol

This does make me happy. That gruden and mayock have the power to put any narrative out there in the media they want since they have so many connections. The only reason we are linked to QBs is because Gruden and Mayock want people to think they are interested so anyone after them knows if they want the QB of the choice they need to trade up to 1, 2 or 3. Leaving a better player at a position of need available. 

Potentially. However equally We are also linked to QBs because we have an opportunity to get better and cheaper at the QB position

2 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

Lololololol

AZ: Murray

SF: Bosa

NYG/JAX: Haskins

OAK: :D

Archived