Clowney gets Franchise Tag

mse326

Right decision for me. Runs hot and cold rushing the passer but is still all we have other than Watt. And he has been great vs the run. I still think he's a better DE than OLB and wish we'd make that move, but he is still someone we needed to keep.

I'm fine if the get a long term deal done depending on the money/structure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He can still sign an offer with another team and if we don’t match the. The owe us two 1sts

Yeah, nobody is signing him with that cost involved. I think you can negotiate to something such as a 1st and 2nd, but that's stretching it.

• 1 month later...

We should trade him for a 1st while the value is there. This gets him paid by a new team (good for him) and nets better value than hoping for a compensatory 3rd if he signs elsewhere next year (good for us). It also protects both sides from an injury derailing that value.

Personally, I've never really liked Clownshoe so it won't break my heart to see him soak up a big chunk of cap space elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Texans02 said:

We should trade him for a 1st while the value is there. This gets him paid by a new team (good for him) and nets better value than hoping for a compensatory 3rd if he signs elsewhere next year (good for us). It also protects both sides from an injury derailing that value.

Personally, I've never really liked Clownshoe so it won't break my heart to see him soak up a big chunk of cap space elsewhere.

I'm indifferent. If we can get good value for the pick (1st + 3rd or 4th) move him. If not, keep him and keep negotiating. If you lose him next season, it's because he wasn't good - if he has a contract year, I'm positive he'll get tagged again with the intent of signing him to a deal he wants. (And by then, it's justified...)

Clowney wont get traded. He can get the franchise tag again next season, so hes gonna be a Texan for two more years. 

I've been vocal in my dislike for Clowney, but honestly we cant replace him right now. 

Hes gonna hold out and show up the last week of the pre season and start week 1. 

17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Clowney wont get traded. He can get the franchise tag again next season, so hes gonna be a Texan for two more years. 

I've been vocal in my dislike for Clowney, but honestly we cant replace him right now. 

Hes gonna hold out and show up the last week of the pre season and start week 1. 

I saw somewhere (that I can't find now) that there is supposedly a deal in place with Detroit that involves the 8th pick and Clowney, where if the Lions top 3 pass rushers are gone, they will trade for him. The source was a Detroit media guy, but I can't remember who.

As far as replacing Clowney goes, if you do a side by side stats comparison, Clowney's stats per season look very much like Ezekiel Ansah, who is a FA and isn't looking to be the top paid at his position. I like Clowney, and I know that his value is more than just stats, but he's more replaceable than a lot of people think.

2 hours ago, shep0507 said:

I saw somewhere (that I can't find now) that there is supposedly a deal in place with Detroit that involves the 8th pick and Clowney, where if the Lions top 3 pass rushers are gone, they will trade for him. The source was a Detroit media guy, but I can't remember who.

As far as replacing Clowney goes, if you do a side by side stats comparison, Clowney's stats per season look very much like Ezekiel Ansah, who is a FA and isn't looking to be the top paid at his position. I like Clowney, and I know that his value is more than just stats, but he's more replaceable than a lot of people think.

Peak Clowney is a DPOY

weak Clowney is an average starter

the problem is that you don’t know which one is going to show up. You get peak Clowney about 4 games a season. 

Id trade Clowney for the 8th pick in a hurry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Peak Clowney is a DPOY

weak Clowney is an average starter

the problem is that you don’t know which one is going to show up. You get peak Clowney about 4 games a season. 

Id trade Clowney for the 8th pick in a hurry. 

The question is: I don't know what the rest of the trade is. I find it hard to believe that Detroit would give up the 8th overall for Clowney. Maybe they would, and if so I'd be all over that, but if not, then I worry what the full compensation would be.

As for Clowney as a player, you're right. He CAN be a great player, but he doesn't have the motor to go hard every play, which is exactly what I worried about when drafting him. (Full disclosure: I wanted Mack at one, so we'd be in a similar situation had I gotten my way, but at least Mack earned his money.) I'm not saying he and Ansah are the same type player, but their stats are very similar.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:21 PM, shep0507 said:

The question is: I don't know what the rest of the trade is. I find it hard to believe that Detroit would give up the 8th overall for Clowney. Maybe they would, and if so I'd be all over that, but if not, then I worry what the full compensation would be.

As for Clowney as a player, you're right. He CAN be a great player, but he doesn't have the motor to go hard every play, which is exactly what I worried about when drafting him. (Full disclosure: I wanted Mack at one, so we'd be in a similar situation had I gotten my way, but at least Mack earned his money.) I'm not saying he and Ansah are the same type player, but their stats are very similar.

Would you trade Clowney, swap firsts with Det and get an extra 3rd in return? Because I could see something like that.