Free Agency News & Rumors

RamRod

There are several names this offseason that I think we should consider given needs and cap space. A few that I'm a fan of are below and I do not anticipate us signing all of them:

HaHa Clinton-Dix

Jamie Collins

CJ Mosley

Landon Collins

Tevin Coleman

TJ Yeldon

Adrian Peterson

Tyler Eifert

Shaquill Barrett

Preston Smith

Shane Ray

Markus Golden

Sheldon Richarson

Muhammed Wilkerson

Denzel Perrymen

Anthony Barr

Tyrann Mathieu

Possible Trade Options: JaDaveon Clowney or Justin Houston

Anthony Barr or CJ Mosley would be the top of my list. I think Mosley is stronger against the run, so he'd be my preferred choice considering that was a constant weakness for us last season. 

I'm sure we'll pick up a safety, with the amount on the market, but looking at our cap space we need to be sensible. 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think paying big money to an ILB is high on our Offseason Priority List

We're in an awkward position (whether some folks want to accept it or not) where our best bargaining position leg to stand on is that we were just in the Super Bowl last season.  We have a reasonable amount of available cap space (nothing to really brag about), but not nearly enough to be out there offering the kind of contracts that allow you to pay big APY's without having to guarantee a ton (teams that achieve that essentially 2- to 3-year deal even though it says 5 years with the quicker easy-out are generally able to do so by offering high APY salaries and minimal bonus monies that have to be prorated over the lifetime of the contract).  And we can't afford to have that guaranteed money eating up future cap-space with the monies we already have earmarked for the extensions we've given out for when Goff's extension comes due (it's going to be massive; the number being bandied about for Mahomes' extension is 5 years/$200M; Goff's going to get at least $30M/yr).

And while yes, the appeal of going to a contender is real, guys like HaHa, Barr, Mathieu, Collins, and Mosley aren't going to forego their best chance at a megabucks payday for it, figuring they can do that later in their career in need-be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

is there any way I can mute posts with just this phrase in it? haha

In a season where Donald was the most double teamed player in the NFL and Suh commanded the rest of the attention, Brockers mustered 1 sack and 4TFL. Sorry bud, not worth what you're scheduled to be paid. Nothing personal. Loved the guy and hope he catches on with another contender. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

In a season where Donald was the most double teamed player in the NFL and Suh commanded the rest of the attention, Brockers mustered 1 sack and 4TFL. Sorry bud, not worth what you're scheduled to be paid. Nothing personal. Loved the guy and hope he catches on with another contender. 

I was joking, so you dont have to take it personal

But your assessment is way off, which has been detailed out countless times on this fourm at this point. Is he worth the full $11m? no, no one is saying that, but you add in the Comp pick attached when he signs elsewhere next offseason and then his value increases. You arent finding his replacement value out there after cutting him.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I was joking, so you dont have to take it personal

But your assessment is way off, which has been detailed out countless times on this fourm at this point. Is he worth the full $11m? no, no one is saying that, but you add in the Comp pick attached when he signs elsewhere next offseason and then his value increases. You arent finding his replacement value out there after cutting him.

No, no I just did; Malik Jackson. Comp picks are a great consolation prize, but I'm not building an entire offseason strategy based on that concept. Especially with Goff's last year on a rookie deal. Release Brockers, Sign Malik Jackson for 8$mil a year, net $3mil and allocate to another potential starters salary. 

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

No, no I just did; Malik Jackson. Comp picks are a great consolation prize, but I'm not building an entire offseason strategy based on that concept. Especially with Goff's last year on a rookie deal. Release Brockers, Sign Malik Jackson for 8$mil a year, net $3mil and allocate to another potential starters salary. 

No you didnt. Have you seen what Malik Jackson has been for the past few years? Theres a reason he was cut without much thought.

He would be worth perusing, but he is not replacing Brockers.

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

No you didnt. Have you seen what Malik Jackson has been for the past few years? Theres a reason he was cut without much thought.

He would be worth perusing, but he is not replacing Brockers.

He was cut because of his awful deal and they need cap space to sign Foles. They were trying to trade him at first, but couldn't find a suitor because of his deal. So thought was involved (they are also cleaning house in Jax if you're paying attention). He's still only 29 and spent his best years that earned him that awful contract under Wade Phillips. Also, he outperformed Brockers last year with 3.5 sacks and 7 TFL. Before that, he had 8 and 6.5 sacks in the 2 preceding years with 10 and 11 TFL. He's outperformed Brockers the past 3 seasons at roughly the same age and has a better track record under Wade than Brockers has. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Also, he outperformed Brockers last year with 3.5 sacks and 7 TFL. Before that, he had 8 and 6.5 sacks in the 2 preceding years with 10 and 11 TFL. He's outperformed Brockers the past 3 seasons

This is getting repetitive and is now beating a dead horse. You clearly dont understand how our scheme works

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is getting repetitive and is now beating a dead horse. You clearly dont understand how our scheme works

The scheme Malik Jackson started his career in....the one he played under our current DC Wade Phillips....the one that he showed success in and it garnered him the 6yr $85.5Mil dollar deal? lol ya got me man, this must be a square peg in a round hole situation that i'm just not seeing. We'll talk in a few days when Brockers gets released and we sign Malik Jackson :D

• Like 1