Bears sign Mike Davis

beardown3231

28 minutes ago, soulman said:

About as good overall as any back we're like to get in the middle rounds of this draft.  North/South guy with some power and quickness and I like how he finishes his runs always moving forward.  Not a guy who'll have many runs for negative yardage.  Soft hands, looks natural catching the ball.

I'd say this is what you want in a supplemental back.  He may be borderline as a # 1 back as far as carry the ball 20-25 times a game but used with Cohen and another back we may want to develop as a #1 back he looks OK to be.  Kind of a shorter quicker version of Howard in some ways but with more elusiveness and a better receiver.  In this offense I'd call him an upgrade.  How much we won't know 'til this fall.

I also think it's incorrect to say we're overpaying and should have gotten a back for a vet minimum.  RBs in his tier are getting what he got (Carlos Hyde $2.8 mil, Frank Gore $2 mil at age 35). Top backs are gonna get 2 to 3 x that much.  Davis gives us option on how we choose to deal with Howard.

If Pace can get a fair deal for him he can move ahead now or wait until the right deal can be had.  I believe he'll be traded but in another scenario Howard, Davis, and Cohen are an upgrade over 2018 and we all agree Pace will also draft a RB so we're moving ahead IMHO.

Davis athletically profiles really closely with Hunt. 

Hunt:

5’10” 216 lb

4.62 40

18 bench reps

4.53 short shuttle 

36.5 vertical

9’11” broad

7.22 3-cone

Davis:

5’9” 217 lb

4.61 40

17 bench reps

4.18 short shuttle

34.0 vertical 

9’8” broad

7.00 3-cone 

So a little quicker and slightly less explosive. If Nagy has a type, then Davis fits that. He’s the expert here and he’s 100% earned the right to make this call (with Pace). If he sees Davis as a guy who can excel in what he wants to do then who am I to say otherwise. This is Pace getting Nagy what HE wants. 

Also, something everyone will like about Davis whether you buy him as a valuable add or not: In 293 career touches he has just 1 fumble. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Hunt:

5’10” 216 lb

4.62 40

18 bench reps

4.53 short shuttle 

36.5 vertical

9’11” broad

7.22 3-cone

Davis:

5’9” 217 lb

4.61 40

17 bench reps

4.18 short shuttle

34.0 vertical 

9’8” broad

7.00 3-cone 

So a little quicker and slightly less explosive. If Nagy has a type, then Davis fits that. He’s the expert here and he’s 100% earned the right to make this call (with Pace). If he sees Davis as a guy who can excel in what he wants to do then who am I to say otherwise. This is Pace getting Nagy what HE wants. 

Also, something everyone will like about Davis whether you buy him as a valuable add or not: In 293 career touches he has just 1 fumble. 

I like the deal.  At worst he's a good supplemental back with a real opportunity to break out as a lead back.  He put up decent numbers running behind a poor Seattle OL so he should be thrilled with what's waiting for him in Chicago.

Like I posted a few days ago before Pace could make a move with Howard he had to secure a back who was at least his equal as a runner and more of a fit for what Nagy expects and in Davis he's done that.  Now he has some maneuvering room as far as how he deal with Howard.

I'd be surprised if anything happened until this first wave of FA shakes out.  When that dust settles Howard may look like one of the better deals for a team whose willing to extend him and now would probably be the time to do that and save some money.

I still believe has has more value than you do so we'll see.  Signing Davis doesn't force Pace to trade him so it may be tough for a team who likes him to sit around waiting for that.  I still like the idea of packaging Howard and a later pick for another 3rd.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Hunt:

5’10” 216 lb

4.62 40

18 bench reps

4.53 short shuttle 

36.5 vertical

9’11” broad

7.22 3-cone

Davis:

5’9” 217 lb

4.61 40

17 bench reps

4.18 short shuttle

34.0 vertical 

9’8” broad

7.00 3-cone 

Davis also ran 4.52 and had a 35.5" vertical at his pro day.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is a really good scheme fit for backup money and he may end up starting for the Bears.

My guess is Davis out produces his contract number pretty easily if healthy.

I agree. I think it’s a good fit. I liked him when I watched him last year. I like this signing.

Meh, not sure I really care for this signing much, unless Davis is just a part of the rotation and is not expected to be a bell cow back for us.  I'm hoping this is just to replace Cunningham, who is a FA.

If I'm Pace though I'm still looking for an impact RB1.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Meh, not sure I really care for this signing much, unless Davis is just a part of the rotation and is not expected to be a bell cow back for us.  I'm hoping this is just to replace Cunningham, who is a FA.

If I'm Pace though I'm still looking for an impact RB1.

I don’t think there’s been any assertion by anyone that they’re expecting him to be a bell cow back. Certainly his price tag doesn’t suggest that. My expectation is that they see him filling a role similar to his 2018 role in Seattle with maybe a slight uptick in touches. 

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think there’s been any assertion by anyone that they’re expecting him to be a bell cow back. Certainly his price tag doesn’t suggest that. My expectation is that they see him filling a role similar to his 2018 role in Seattle with maybe a slight uptick in touches. 

I'm waiting for another shoe to drop on top of either Ingram or Coleman.  Makes sense.

Pace rebuilt the receiver core last spring so why not the backfield this year?

I'm kinda liking the idea of Davis paired with Coleman or Ingram.  Half the price of Bell or less and along with Cohen that's a crazy bunch of skills and depth and money left over for other needs.  For example;

What would it take to get Justin on a 2-3 deal out in two?   What kind of a deal is Gostkowski looking for?  Can Eric Berry still play and take a highly incentivized deal to become vet depth and help mentor Bush?

Are there any younger OLBs, DBs, or OL we could look to pick up for depth and development?

26 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm kinda liking the idea of Davis paired with Coleman or Ingram.  Half the price of Bell or less and along with Cohen that's a crazy bunch of skills and depth and money left over for other needs.  For example;

What would it take to get Justin on a 2-3 deal out in two?   What kind of a deal is Gostkowski looking for?  Can Eric Berry still play and take a highly incentivized deal to become vet depth and help mentor Bush?

Are there any younger OLBs, DBs, or OL we could look to pick up for depth and development?

Coleman and Davis would be a home run to me. It would blow the idea of comp pick(s) out of the water but to add an established playmaker at a skill position I’m fine with that, and as you suggested it opens up the remainder of the cap space we created with the Mack restructure for filling other holes with 1-year type fixes. 

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Coleman and Davis would be a home run to me. It would blow the idea of comp pick(s) out of the water but to add an established playmaker at a skill position I’m fine with that, and as you suggested it opens up the remainder of the cap space we created with the Mack restructure for filling other holes with 1-year type fixes. 

Well if the rumor about Ingram to Balt. is confirmed Coleman is practically the default guy and can come in as part of a shared backfield just as he's been in Atlanta.  Philly was into him at $5 mil AAV but now they feel closer to $7 mil is where his price is going.  I question whether Pace would go that high either unless it was through incentives.

But were hearing that Bell top offers are in the $11-$12 mil range and we got Davis for $6 mil total/2 yrs.  It's pretty clear the RB deals are as huge as some backs expected especially if Bells is the benchmark.  Nobody's jumping fast and Bell seems to be fretting over his decision so clearly no one made him an offer he can't refuse and frankly I almost hope we don't.

With the $13 mil or so freed up by Mack and Goldman re-do's I'd spend it wisely on improving the run game and adding another edge guy because once again we're a bit thin at OLB.  If we can't find value then extend Whitehair this summer so all we have to deal with in 2020 is Jackson.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

The only thing I would question is what backs has Nagy or even Andy Reid properly paid? Westbrook got a good deal but other than that I don't remember big money ever being spent on backs.

Damian Williams’ meteoric rise last year only further underscored for me that Reid’s RBs are all about traits, not pedigree or draft status. I’ve been assuming Nagy sees it the same way, and the Davis signing only further underscores that. That’s why I’m smitten with Coleman - he has all the stuff Nagy and Reid look for. 

Archived