Packers Signing Preston Smith

Fl0nkerton

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Houston's 4 years older (30) and has played (approx) a seasons worth of games less than Z (15 games) and a season+ games less than Smith (21 games).

We should really be viewing this free agent class as a direct response to the 2015 draft. Every player we took was coming off of their 4th year in the league. In an ideal world these would all be players who had contributed to us for four years and either earned a second paycheck or given us a comp pick for signing elsewhere. Because our 2015 draft was abysmal, we had to resort to free agency to replace that lost core of players. It's the main reason, IMO, we didn't target players like Houston, Thomas, etc.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Just seems like a really implausible situation. Like when are you going to have 2 teams bidding and they both cap out at the same dollar amount? 99 times out of a hundred one team will just offer more than the other team to secure the player.

WHO ******* CARES. Lol. That's not the point.

I should have phrased last line with the word possible  differently. I'm using it as a hypothetical. I'm not eloquent enough I guess to get across what I mean it everyone is just too hard headed to attempt to understand my point

Let me put this another way. NOW OPEN YOUR MIND FOR ONE SECOND AND PRETEND WITH ME, OKAY? The NFL starts Max contracts like the NBA. That would hurt us, IMO. When we couldn't offer more than anyone else we still might get guys but IMO we would NOT be high on the list. Now I know we'll side track and say we don't want Max players or whatever instead of attempting to understand what I'm saying but there it is

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

You saying that UFA players will come to GB if there is more $$ in the offer?   Shocking development

I know right.

The notion trotted out by some that the reason the Packers previously signed so few UFAs was because it's just too hard to get guys to come to Green Bay compared to other spots around the NFL was always ludicrous.

Where there is will (and available $) to spend on free agents, FAs will inevitably follow.

For those who remained skeptical of this irrefutable truism, in just two years as GM, Gute has eviscerated the tired excuse that free agents won't sign with Green Bay.

13 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

For those who remained skeptical of this irrefutable truism, in just two years as GM, Gute has eviscerated the tired excuse that free agents won't sign with Green Bay.

I thought that last year, free agency was a learning experience for Gute.  He was "in" on a number of free agents, only landing Graham.  Granted, some of the best free agent deals are the ones you didn't do.  But I think he learned a lot last year.

So...when this year came around, he knew what he had to do, from a contract perspective, to get free agents to come to GB.  So he hit free agency hard.  I believe his "success" in signing guys this year was a byproduct if his "failure" last year in free agency.  Success and failure only defined by signing guys as opposed to missing on them.  

• Like 2

Again, it was never that they "won't" sign with us....

But it's getting old repeating the same thing

I'm tempted to just swing the other way and pretend everyone else is saying y'all think gb is everyone's top destination.

The fact we didn't sign every fa shows Gute sucks. EVERY fa wanted to sign here. Stupid gute

Edited by Norm
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I thought that last year, free agency was a learning experience for Gute.  He was "in" on a number of free agents, only landing Graham.  Granted, some of the best free agent deals are the ones you didn't do.  But I think he learned a lot last year.

So...when this year came around, he knew what he had to do, from a contract perspective, to get free agents to come to GB.  So he hit free agency hard.  I believe his "success" in signing guys this year was a byproduct if his "failure" last year in free agency.  Success and failure only defined by signing guys as opposed to missing on them.  

The Athletic had a very good article about Gute's process last year and this year. He spoke specifically about how last year he had to make it abundantly clear to agents that they were serious about interest. That's one of the reasons why they were in on so many free agents. It's one of the reasons why we haven't released Graham or Williams, to show that we will see contracts through. Gute is working to build up our relationship with agents and players throughout the league. It's not that he 'failed' last year. It's a process, with success being determined by building relationships, not signing contracts.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, deathstar said:

The Athletic had a very good article about Gute's process last year and this year. He spoke specifically about how last year he had to make it abundantly clear to agents that they were serious about interest. That's one of the reasons why they were in on so many free agents. It's one of the reasons why we haven't released Graham or Williams, to show that we will see contracts through. Gute is working to build up our relationship with agents and players throughout the league. It's not that he 'failed' last year. It's a process, with success being determined by building relationships, not signing contracts.

I find it hard to believe that any agent would be scared off if Gute released a 36 year old Tramon Williams. 

19 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I find it hard to believe that any agent would be scared off if Gute released a 36 year old Tramon Williams. 

Hey we’re the Packers. We cut guys who spend most of their careers with us before their contract is up. Sign with us.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, deathstar said:

Great post, thank you for sharing.

Yes, Gute needed to let agents know that GB is open for free agent business.  I have no doubt that what he did last year helped him this year.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 6:37 PM, deathstar said:

Top ten most neglected and disregarded thing on this site.  Cut him, cut him, cut him... People here don't seem to understand that if you keep cutting players you sign, other players are less-likely to sign.  People always think that the Patriots get so many people to sign because they want to win a ring, but it's not just that.  They sign there because, if New England signs you, they're most likely keeping up their end of the contract. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 6:57 PM, deathstar said:

Hey we’re the Packers. We cut guys who spend most of their careers with us before their contract is up. Sign with us.

Maybe that would stop old washed up players from signing with us though haha. Sounds like a win to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Top ten most neglected and disregarded thing on this site.  Cut him, cut him, cut him... People here don't seem to understand that if you keep cutting players you sign, other players are less-likely to sign.  People always think that the Patriots get so many people to sign because they want to win a ring, but it's not just that.  They sign there because, if New England signs you, they're most likely keeping up their end of the contract. 

Wut?

53 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Wut?

We are Green Bay.  Usually "closed" during the first wave or two of free agency.  We tend to pay our own and honor those contracts, even if things don't go as well as we would have hoped.  When we do dip into free agency, we tend to hang onto those players and they see the entire contract.  Hopefully that is a "plus" for us as now we are/were open in free agency and guys hopefully see that they can get the entire contract here.  Sure we have "outs" in the contracts, but we have a history of letting guys finish their bigger deals.

Our GM is kind of re-making the image of Green Bay as it relates to free agency.

It will be interesting to see if this remains the case next year with Jimmy Graham and that contract.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

We are Green Bay.  Usually "closed" during the first wave or two of free agency.  We tend to pay our own and honor those contracts, even if things don't go as well as we would have hoped.  When we do dip into free agency, we tend to hang onto those players and they see the entire contract.  Hopefully that is a "plus" for us as now we are/were open in free agency and guys hopefully see that they can get the entire contract here.  Sure we have "outs" in the contracts, but we have a history of letting guys finish their bigger deals.

Our GM is kind of re-making the image of Green Bay as it relates to free agency.

It will be interesting to see if this remains the case next year with Jimmy Graham and that contract.

My comment was sarcasm directed at comment that NE doesn't move or release players before contract is fully realized.  Kind of what they are known for.

Every team does it, but Patriots famously do it to big name guys. They are ruthless.  

Drew Bledsoe, Garropollo, Seymour, Cooks, Ty Law, Vrabel, Branch, Mankins, Collins, Jones, Randy Moss, Lawyer Milloy ...