Rumours of Peppers replacement...

Aztec Hammer

29 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

are we sure we know what wilks scheme is? He was a DC for one year. 

Still the same scheme he ran with Zona and Panthers and it’s the same scheme he coached in with the Panthers. I don’t see Wilks drastically changing his schemes that he ran and learned under

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

are we sure we know what wilks scheme is? He was a DC for one year. 

He could change, but here’s what we know:

1. He’s from the Ron Rivera tree. Rivera is known for heavily using a 4-3 base and zone defense, even when he had Josh Norman. The scheme protects less talented CBs, it’s why Carolina could let Norman go.

2. Wilks ran that system his last year in Carolina and first year in Arizona.

He may do something completely different, but I’d speculate his scheme on what Carolina has done.

19 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It will be interesting to see how they use Ward who will be a waste as a zone corner. 

Yea but he can play more combo coverages mixing zones and man coverages depending on formations and personal groups. Also could use Ward as a great neutralizer, make him man up the #1 WR and zone everything else. 

I just got to say that this thread existing at all brings a smile to Tayne's cynical young heart. The other fact, that this is talking about Peppers in hindsight, is even better. Nobody wanted the guy in the first round. It wasn't right that he went to Michigan. He was supposed to be an explosive returner and ended up not even being good. His coverage ability had been forgettable. His comments irked me a bit.

I am super happy that he was one of the bargaining chips that Dorsey maximized value from. I honestly see him as being worth about a mid third-rounder. If Dorsey traded the equivalent of a mid third-rounder and basically a fourth-rounder with pick 17 for possibly the best wide receiver in the entire league (who happens to be just entering his prime), it's just really beautiful. I honestly think we could replace Peppers with any of a bunch of dudes, that Peppers is just a dude at strong safety.

Zeitler was the other guy that I could just see it was time to trade. His play was good but not great until Baker took over. I assume Baker was why his perception was high enough to get an edge rusher in his prime for an older quality guard with a big contract.

This trade was pure Madden. Now for Ogbah to the Raiders.

I think Peppers pushes foe the pro bowl next year. His first season was a train wreck because of Greg William's. His second season was good, and his coverage improved. 

He is a plus athlete at strong safety, he should only get better. I agree his ceiling is limited, and generally I think strong safetys like running backs shouldn't be taken in round 1. They are relatively easy to find and unless they can cover, are becoming less important, and with the tackling rules, they are becoming less viable if they are enforcers.

That said we have a huge gap at strong safety, I dont rate kindred.

From what I have read I don't like the Wilks hire. Hope it was a good hire or at least the pass rush and offense make up for his flaws but I'm pessimistic on him. Don't like that he ran a nickel goalline defense last year. Don't like that he had the worst run defense last year (bottom 3 in ypa) and even though the pass defense didn't give up many yards they were bottom 10 in passer rating against. They were just always behind and couldn't stop the run. Arizona did get a lot of sacks last year, only Minnesota had more sacks per snap so maybe that will get us off of the field enough to be an effective defense.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

From what I have read I don't like the Wilks hire. Hope it was a good hire or at least the pass rush and offense make up for his flaws but I'm pessimistic on him. Don't like that he ran a nickel goalline defense last year. Don't like that he had the worst run defense last year (bottom 3 in ypa) and even though the pass defense didn't give up many yards they were bottom 10 in passer rating against. They were just always behind and couldn't stop the run. Arizona did get a lot of sacks last year, only Minnesota had more sacks per snap so maybe that will get us off of the field enough to be an effective defense.

Well our front 7 is substantially much greater than the front 7 in Arizona

8 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Well our front 7 is substantially much greater than the front 7 in Arizona

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Their run defense was awful. Historically bad. Their offense was also terrible, which doesnt help. 

He 2017 panthers were a pretty solid defense especially against the run. Reasonable chance that the Arizona year was a blip on the radar.

18 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Honestly, with how the league is, that’s not terrible. Kansas City has a awful defense but led the league in sacks. If you have confidence in your QB to win in shootouts, it makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Their run defense was awful. Historically bad. Their offense was also terrible, which doesnt help. 

He 2017 panthers were a pretty solid defense especially against the run. Reasonable chance that the Arizona year was a blip on the radar.

Was it his defense or Rivera's though? They were also bottom 10 in passer rating against in 2017 but were good against the run and top 3 in sacks.

Archived