Chris Russell: Coaches want to move on from Norman, Front Office wants to keep him

turtle28

On 106.7 The Fan Chris Russell just said that the coaches want to move on from Norman, Front Office wants to keep him. I'm assuming its Dan Snyder & Bruce Allen who don't want to trade or cut Norman.

So, just another example of the disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff and the fact that the business people are still running the football operations.

I trust Gruden more to make the right evaluations and moves in terms of football players than Allen but it seems that Allen is the one who calls all the shots.

I don't believe any of this stuff. I swear sometimes I think the media goes out of their way to rile up the fans. Its almost impossible for every little thing to leak out of the building.

Even if true, its not like we're the only franchise that would have different opinions on players 

3 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

I don't believe any of this stuff. I swear sometimes I think the media goes out of their way to rile up the fans. Its almost impossible for every little thing to leak out of the building.

Even if true, its not like we're the only franchise that would have different opinions on players 

You’re one of the few...

4 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

Even if this is fake, Bo, there's been enough of these shenanigans over the years that you end up doing something like this:

giphy.gif

At this point, I can only believe that the rampant leaks coming from Redskins Park are either the result of extremely frustrated coaches, or Snyder encourages this stuff to get out.  It's all ridiculous at this point that this organization functions the way it does.  We're the laughingstock of the NFL, and probably the laughingstock of the business world.  

On the topic at hand, I completely understand moving on from Norman, but who is going to replace him?  His skills are declining, but corners are worth a lot of money.  We cut him, and get some back, but any replacement now isn't going to be on a declining Norman level.  That would also essentially force our hand to draft a corner early.   Of course, this also wouldn't be a problem if Andy Reid didn't rip off Bruce Allen again for a QB.  

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

At this point, I can only believe that the rampant leaks coming from Redskins Park are either the result of extremely frustrated coaches, or Snyder encourages this stuff to get out.  It's all ridiculous at this point that this organization functions the way it does.  We're the laughingstock of the NFL, and probably the laughingstock of the business world.  

On the topic at hand, I completely understand moving on from Norman, but who is going to replace him?  His skills are declining, but corners are worth a lot of money.  We cut him, and get some back, but any replacement now isn't going to be on a declining Norman level.  That would also essentially force our hand to draft a corner early.   Of course, this also wouldn't be a problem if Andy Reid didn't rip off Bruce Allen again for a QB.  

The new starter would be Fabian Moreau, a FA like Darquez Denard or a rookie we draft in round 1 or 2 would replace Norman if, IF you want to continue the youth movement and rebuilding process. If continuing the youth movement is your goal, then you have no need for a 30 year old overpaid corner. 

Its better to see what Moreau has as a starter or Greedy, Baker, Murphy etc 

34 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I dislike Russell, but this seems very plausible to me.

He rambles way, way too much. His thoughts are often so incoherent that he has to keep trying to explain them over and over while on air. I do believe that he’s right a lot of times though even if I don’t like his delivery.

For example, he and JP Finlay were in for Chad Dukes yesterday and with 1 minute left in the show, that is when Russell brought this up! Lol 😂 

Huh, but why?

JP was like why in the hell did you wait until the show was over and the closing song was playing to bring this up? It should’ve been an entire segment on their show!

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Of course, this also wouldn't be a problem if Andy Reid didn't rip off Bruce Allen again for a QB.  

Can't agree with this. Not the "ripped off" part as much as the "this wouldn't be a problem" part.

Cutting Norman leaves us without a starting outside CB. Kendall Fuller has never played well as an outside CB in the NFL. Never did it here, didn't do it for KC when given the opportunity there. He struggled enough on the outside that they moved him back inside (where he was very good again, evidently) for the most part and went with Orlando Scandrick at the outside CB position. We're three years into his career and we still haven't seen him perform as anything more than an excellent slot CB. 

Moreover, we're now in the last year of Fuller's contract. At best, keeping Kendall Fuller would have given us a solution to the "who's our CB1 if we cut/trade Norman?" problem for one season. After this season, the problem would again be rearing its head, just in a different form.

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Moreover, we're now in the last year of Fuller's contract. At best, keeping Kendall Fuller would have given us a solution to the "who's our CB1 if we cut/trade Norman?" problem for one season. After this season, the problem would again be rearing its head, just in a different form.

There would also have been an extra third round pick last year, which could have been used on a corner or guard. Said pick could have been packaged with something else to move up (or down) to handle those positions.

The short version is we traded two cheap players for one okay expensive player and then made that okay expensive player really expensive. Then he played okay for us in 10 games. Then he suffered a potentially career ending injury.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

There would also have been an extra third round pick last year, which could have been used on a corner or guard. Said pick could have been packaged with something else to move up (or down) to handle those positions.

The short version is we traded two cheap players for one okay expensive player and then made that okay expensive player really expensive. Then he played okay for us in 10 games. Then he suffered a potentially career ending injury.

You forgot the part where we could have just kept the very expensive player we had in house instead of trading a 3rd and slot CB.  Oh and giving said player up for nothing but a 3rd round comp pick.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

You forgot the part where we could have just kept the very expensive player we had in house instead of trading a 3rd and slot CB.  Oh and giving said player up for nothing but a 3rd round comp pick.  

True, but that ship sailed two years earlier.

Archived