nextsuperstar1

25 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Tony Gonzalez 

touchdowns per game: 0.41

average yards per reception: 11.4

Rob Gronkowski

touchdowns per game: 0.69

average yards per reception: 15.1

QBs Gonzalez worked with: Trent Green, Brodie Croyle, Matt Cassell, Matt Ryan.

QBs Gronk worked with: The Greatest QB to ever live.

Think that factors into the discrepancy?

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

So Jerry rice isn’t the GOAT either by this standard?

Answer my question first - would working with Tom Brady for the duration of your career lead itself to nominal differences in TDs per game and a higher career YPC?  

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

So Jerry rice isn’t the GOAT either by this standard?

And for the record - Rice was the GOAT because he made good QBs elite. Look at Joe Montana pre and post Rice. Look at Steve Young pre Rice. Look at the entirety of Rich Gannon's career without Rice. Look at individual performances from the likes of Steve Bono or Elvis Grbac, performances that led others to believe these guys could be franchise QBs (further review showed Grbac and Bono were not franchise QBs).

Bad comparison is bad, try again.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Answer my question first - would working with Tom Brady for the duration of your career lead itself to nominal differences in TDs per game and a higher career YPC?  

You’re talking hypotheticals when the in game averages speak for themselves. 

I’ll play though. I think Gonzo’s numbers would increase, and Gronks would decrease.

However, i don’t think Tony Gonzalez would have put up Gronk numbers (per game basis). I concede longevity.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And for the record - Rice was the GOAT because he made good QBs elite. Look at Joe Montana pre and post Rice. Look at Steve Young pre Rice. Look at the entirety of Rich Gannon's career without Rice. Look at individual performances from the likes of Steve Bono or Elvis Grbac, performances that led others to believe these guys could be franchise QBs (further review showed Grbac and Bono were not franchise QBs).

Bad comparison is bad, try again.

Joe Montana was 20 games over .500 before Rice...and also had the same amount of 3500 yard seasons without rice as he did with...

Edit 3/6 of Montana’s best comp percentage (if you’re into that) are without Jerry. 

Bad comparison is bad.

6 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

You’re talking hypotheticals when the in game averages speak for themselves. 

It might be a hypothetical, but I don't think you need to "show your work" to establish Brady > Brodie. 

The guy throwing you the ball is going to directly correlate to your numbers as a receiver. Gronk had the opportunity to work with the best. Gonzo had patchwork at the spot, with Ryan being the best (and Julio drawing the majority of targets during that time, Gonzo working as a 2 at most). It's not a knock on Gonzo to be the 2, that was when Julio was at the peak of his ability.

6 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

However, i don’t think Tony Gonzalez would have put up Gronk numbers (per game basis). I concede longevity

That's fair.

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

QBs Gonzalez worked with: Trent Green, Brodie Croyle, Matt Cassell, Matt Ryan.

QBs Gronk worked with: The Greatest QB to ever live.

Think that factors into the discrepancy?

Faulty logic. Brady has played with many TEs besides Gronk and the majority of them were mediocre at best.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Joe Montana was 20 games over .500 before Rice...and also had the same amount of 3500 yard seasons without rice as he did with...

Edit 3/6 of Montana’s best comp percentage (if you’re into that) are without Jerry. 

Bad comparison is bad.

Gannon? Young? Bono? Grbac?

Montana is an anomaly, I'll concede.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is especially relevant with the TDs. Brady has averaged 33 passing TDs per season over the course of Gronk's career. In Gonzalez's 12 years in Kansas City, we only had 25 or more passing TDs three times. There was a 4 year stretch in there where we averaged like 18 passing TDs.

Just now, Elky said:

Hate this logic. Why didn't Ben Watson or Daniel Graham become elite?

Because they weren't as good as Gronk. You take a great player and pair them with a great player, you're gonna put up great numbers. 

Nobody is saying the gap is wide when defending Gonzo over Gronk. The difference is nominal at best. When you're splitting hairs like this, supporting cast matters.

2 minutes ago, Elky said:

Faulty logic. Brady has played with many TEs besides Gronk and the majority of them were mediocre at best.

I don't think ET's point is that Brady made Gronk. Just that he enabled him statistically. While Gonzalez's QBs were not capable of the same. The Pats getting one and a half or two times as many passing TDs during Gronk's career compared to the Chiefs during Gonzalez's career is going to enable more TDs per game.

Archived