2019 NFL Draft V4

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

SImmons likely would have gone in the top half of the first if he wasn't injured imo. I like the idea personally of adding him at #27/#35 if we don't land Q at #4.

Defensive tackle isn't really a need though. Our rotation would likely be fine as it is with Hurst, Hall, Ellis, Hankins, and Vanderdoes plus Simmons will likely miss the majority of next season. I'd only support drafting a DT if it's Q Williams because he has Aaron Donald type of potential. 

38 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

i like sweat more than Gary or Ferrell

I like Sweat as well. Great physical profile, elite athleticism, and a very high level of production during the last two seasons in the SEC (30 TFL, 22.5 sacks). According to PFF, he's the only edge in the class that ranks in the top 10 for both pass rush productivity and run stop % too. 

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The only DT that it would make sense to draft would be Quinnen Williams because he's an elite talent. If you're going to take a guy like Simmons or Tillery they're probably not even going to be better than Hurst/Hall. 

Simmons was considered a top 5 potential pick before injury. Tillery. people are sleeping on. If he goes round 2, he's a steal. Both are better than Hall by a wide margin. Hall did what exactly as a rookie?

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Simmons was considered a top 5 potential pick before injury. Tillery. people are sleeping on. If he goes round 2, he's a steal. Both are better than Hall by a wide margin. Hall did what exactly as a rookie?

Simmons won't even play next season and you're banking on him being able to recover from the knee injury if you take him. I like Tillery but again our group should be fine as is. You have said numerous times that drafting a DT would be a luxury pick for us, I agree. So I think the only way that it makes sense to do it is if you're getting a guy that looks like an elite all-pro level prospect. 

Hall didn't play that well last season but he was a project coming into the league. Not too many guys are going to dominate making the jump from D2 to the NFL especially going to a team in shambles. He's one of the most athletic DT's in the league though and definitely has potential to be a solid player, just have to wait and see. If we start Hurst/Hankins and rotate Hall/Ellis/Vanderdoes, that should be a decent group. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Simmons won't even play next season and you're banking on him being able to recover from the knee injury if you take him. I like Tillery but again our group should be fine as is. You have said numerous times that drafting a DT would be a luxury pick for us, I agree. So I think the only way that it makes sense to do it is if you're getting a guy that looks like an elite all-pro level prospect. 

Hall didn't play that well last season but he was a project coming into the league. Not too many guys are going to dominate making the jump from D2 to the NFL especially going to a team in shambles. He's one of the most athletic DT's in the league though and definitely has potential to be a solid player, just have to wait and see. If we start Hurst/Hankins and rotate Hall/Ellis/Vanderdoes, that should be a decent group. 

At 4 overall, yes it's a luxury. 

Hall and Hurst however have not shown anything to avoid drafting DT. And I wouldn't be upset with Williams or Oliver at 4 because I think they are true impact players. But White is a bigger need spot. Really, you can't go wrong either way

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

At 4 overall, yes it's a luxury. 

Hall and Hurst however have not shown anything to avoid drafting DT. And I wouldn't be upset with Williams or Oliver at 4 because I think they are true impact players. But White is a bigger need spot. Really, you can't go wrong either way

Agreed. We need elite talent in our front 7. I'd be happy with Bosa, Williams, or White. All 3 of those guys look like they'll be in the upper echelon at their positions for the next decade. 

Did another quick mock draft on TDN's predictive tool. 

4. Montez Sweat, Edge, Mississippi State

24. TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa

27. DeAndre Baker, CB, Georgia 

35. AJ Brown, WR, Ole Miss

106. Damien Harris, RB, Alabama

140. Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State

218. Carl Granderson, Edge, Wyoming

240. Donnie Lewis Jr, CB, Tulane

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Defensive tackle isn't really a need though. Our rotation would likely be fine as it is with Hurst, Hall, Ellis, Hankins, and Vanderdoes plus Simmons will likely miss the majority of next season. I'd only support drafting a DT if it's Q Williams because he has Aaron Donald type of potential. 

I’m not even looking at dt’s our dt core is so crowded. Even q as good as he is at “dt” imo wouldn’t be a smart pick at 4. We only have 2 de’s.... just 2

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m not even looking at dt’s our dt core is so crowded. Even q as good as he is at “dt” imo wouldn’t be a smart pick at 4. We only have 2 de’s.... just 2

Williams has Aaron Donald like potential, I doubt he'll be as good as Donald but he has the potential to be a double-digit sack guy. We need to improve our pass rush, whether it comes from the edge or the interior doesn't really matter, IMO. There should be some good edge players around with our other picks, I'd just have a hard time passing up on a bluechip talent like Williams. 

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Williams has Aaron Donald like potential, I doubt he'll be as good as Donald but he has the potential to be a double-digit sack guy. We need to improve our pass rush, whether it comes from the edge or the interior doesn't really matter, IMO. There should be some good edge players around with our other picks, I'd just have a hard time passing up on a bluechip talent like Williams. 

I disagree Donald is one of a kind and played at a high level for 3 years without a talented supporting cast in college. Q only played well for 1 year

Archived