Bears trade Howard to the Eagles

beardown3231

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

I based that on a 2020 3rd having the value of a 2019 4th and at best a 2020 5th has the value of a 2019 6th which we lacked.  But in the end I prefer more picks in 2020 anyway so I'm not losing sleep over it.  Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I'm also a professional investment analyst/advisor and I understand the wisdom of cutting your losses short and letting your winners ride.

Many gamblers would do well to follow that same path as well but the few I know personally rarely do. ;) LOL

Ain’t that the truth... My 12-teamer was for a $5 investment. Complete Hail Mary. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ain’t that the truth... My 12-teamer was for a $5 investment. Complete Hail Mary. 

Next time just give me the $5.00.  It will go to a good cause.  Me.  I'll likely spend it on lunch (partially, fricken fast food is like $9 now) or tipping my hair cut lady.  But I do give to charity and church so the $5.00 would indirectly help the poor.

I'll start a patreon.

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Next time just give me the $5.00.  It will go to a good cause.  Me.  I'll likely spend it on lunch (partially, fricken fast food is like $9 now) or tipping my hair cut lady.  But I do give to charity and church so the $5.00 would indirectly help the poor.

I'll start a patreon.

It was $5 I took off of a $100 winner and I bet 12 heavy favorites money line. Golden State was a 13 point favorite and lost by 40. 🤷‍♂️

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

NFL knew for sure as soon as Pace said he was on market at combine, they could all guess late in 2018 season just like all of Chicago media and this board did repeatedly.

It doesn't raise or lower his value, if he didn't offer him up nobody would have called.  His value was what someone was willing to offer, no more no less.  Possibly if you wait and a team gets ravaged with injury at the position during pre season or camp his value goes up, but that is hard on the player.  Better to build a good rep with players IMO than maybe get 1 round up by waiting on something that may or may not even happen.    It was good move of Pace to be upfront with Howard on their plans to move him.  Players appreciate that honesty.  You don't want to be hanging with the guys, working out, planning your season and get blindsided with a move.

Even good players get low ball trade offers on last year of their contract because you are only potentially getting guy for 1 year.  Washington spent a 4th on Dix for part of a season which was probably too much.  Only great players like Mack get big trade deals and that is only if they resign.

They spent a 5th, got 3 good years and got probably a 5th or 6th back.  That is pretty good.  A 5th was probably always best case scenario given that he is entering 4th year and he played poorly last year.

I was leaning more into the release part than the trade part since Nagy stated he could and would use him if he wasn't traded and not all of us here believed he was of no use to us if he could not be traded.  As fans go in general more seem opposed than in favor so it was by no means universal no matter what the media may have said or written. 

More than anything most felt we should have gotten more and I'm one of them.  Case in point.  Philly gave us a 7th last summer for Deiondre Hall a sub CB who wasn't gonna make our roster.  For Howard we got a 2020 6th which has the same value as the 2019 7th we got for Hall.  Whose been the far more productive player?  Do you see my logic?  But in the end market value is only what a buyer will pay and a seller accept so taken in that way we received current market value for him and I'll live with that.

IMHO as much as anything getting Howard into a better situation via trade or releasing him early so he could catch on and keep his career on track had a lot to do with why this happened now.  As I posted before.  It was an honorable thing to do for a vet RB who has done well for his team and I credit Pace with taking that into consideration vs holding out for more later or releasing him later this year when another back was consistently outplaying him or more useful in our offense.  It's a contract year for Howard and he deserves a better shot at success than we could give him.

It is what it is and time to move on.

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Gotta good friend, almost a brother really, who loves to bet college football and college hoops.

He just got back from Vegas having not done quite so well this past trip but he's headed back hoping to catch the semi's and final if not sooner.  A man has got to have his hobbies. xD

Me, I handicap stocks, bonds, and market indicies instead of sports teams.  That's thrilling or disappointing enough for me.  LOL

Glad donit's done, wish it would have been more.  Clearly not in the team plans moving forward anyway, and when his salary doubled you knew it was bound to happen.  Wish him the best.  His 40 yard run against the Vikes this year is maybe the slowest 40 yard run I've ever seen.

9 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Glad donit's done, wish it would have been more.  Clearly not in the team plans moving forward anyway, and when his salary doubled you knew it was bound to happen.  Wish him the best.  His 40 yard run against the Vikes this year is maybe the slowest 40 yard run I've ever seen.

Totally. I was looking over all the NFL backs for a skill set and production comp for Howard. There aren’t many backs with his skill set in primary roles for multiple years any more so it took a bit, but I think I found one:

Jordan Howard 6’0” 224lb

2016-2018: 778/3370/24 (4.33 ypc), 72/568/1 receiving, 0 games missed to injury 

Rookie year: 5.2 ypc, 6 TD

Years 2-3: 3.9 ypc, 18 TD

Jeremy Hill 6’1” 230lb

2014-2016: 667/2757/29 (4.13 ypc), 63/468/1 receiving, 1 game missed to injury

Rookie year: 5.1 ypc, 9 TD

Years 2-3: 3.7 ypc, 20 TD

Would anyone have expected anything of consequence in trade for Jeremy Hill in March 2017? I sure don’t think so.

31 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Wonder if we could flip this pick right away to Cleveland for Duke Johnson if Pace & Nagy don't rate the guys in the draft he would be a clear fit.

I like Johnson but I don’t know that they’d be looking to move him until Hunt is ready to come back. Wouldn’t hurt to ask. They don’t have any pressure to move him now for anything less than their asking price though which will surely be more than the conditional pick we just picked up. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like Johnson but I don’t know that they’d be looking to move him until Hunt is ready to come back. Wouldn’t hurt to ask. They don’t have any pressure to move him now for anything less than their asking price though which will surely be more than the conditional pick we just picked up. 

I don't think there was much pressure on us to move Howard but if a player wants a out then it can make sense to move him when you can.

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think there was much pressure on us to move Howard but if a player wants a out then it can make sense to move him when you can.

And that was a point I was making.  If you have a vet on your roster you don't have a spot for typically that guy is traded or released as early as possible so he can catch on elsewhere.  I respect Pace for getting something done now so Howard could move on in what will be a contract year.

20 minutes ago, soulman said:

And that was a point I was making.  If you have a vet on your roster you don't have a spot for typically that guy is traded or released as early as possible so he can catch on elsewhere.  I respect Pace for getting something done now so Howard could move on in what will be a contract year.

If the Eagles are looking for a significant upgrade over their RBBC from last year in Howard as a feature back I think they’re going to be disappointed. Collectively from  Adams, Smallwood, Clement and Ajayi last year they got 320/1318/11. That’s a 4.2 ypc rate. Those four also totaled 62 catches. Ajayi is gone but the other three remain plus Sproles may return, and they may still draft a guy too.

Howard is a low cost look see but just because they traded for him doesn’t mean he’s a lock to make the squad over any of those guys. Objectively, what does he offer skill set wise that Josh Adams or Corey Clement don’t? It wouldn’t shock me if he doesn’t clearly outplay someone in TC and the preseason that Howard finds himself on the outside there too come late August.  

Archived