Bears trade Howard to the Eagles

beardown3231

Unhappy with the value for the Bears, but actually think the trade compensation was in line for what they could get right now.  I would have rather they keep him into the season,  so they could at least make sure Davis or RBRookie were going to fit and be healthy. If they'd done that the 6th would have been fine.  

I console myself by recalling that Pace has done something similar each offseason in which it seems like he's opened and unnecessary roster hole, but he always seems to take care of it. 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Will be very interesting to see if we do sign Ware after this.

Seems to me he'd be a nice fit with Davis and Cohen at any rate.

Nagy talked a lot about the varied skill sets of backs at the Combine and reinforced his plan to use a RBBC approach so it seems to me he's looking for pieces who fit as opposed to the whole pie.

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

His rookie and sophomore year he was literally the only player I cared about on the bears offense but for the last entire year I’ve just been hoping we unload him somewhere because I knew he’d struggle and be inadequately used in our new offense and wanted him excel elsewhere. Wish him the best and I’m glad we let him off the hook so he can be used in a better fit. Kinda bummed my former favorite player is gone but glad he is somewhere else now. 

Kinda sums it up for me as well and though no one "owes" anyone anything in the business of the NFL I do admire Pace for getting him over to a team where he'll have a better shot at either an extension with Philly or a new deal elsewhere.  IMHO that showed some respect for him on Paces part.

We were losing trade value keeping him and he was losing even more monetary value if his stats kept declining in our offense because of limited snaps.

40 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I have to admit I was one of these people arguing in the past how you don't get rid of a guy of Howard's caliber for peanuts, but I was just blinded by homerism.  I now see the light and realize that it's not a good fit.  That doesn't mean Howard isn't a fine player, but the team obviously feels a conditional 5th round pick in 2020 is worth more to them than what Howard would have been to them in 2019.  This is a good trade for all parties.

This. If they weren’t going to use him in 2019 then getting literally anything for him is a plus. 

https://670thescore.radio.com/emma-why-chicago-bears-traded-running-back-jordan-howard

Says here that per source Howard was told earlier in the offseason that he’d either be traded or released.

Teams soon realized the Bears would trade Howard, and their leverage was blown. Given the writing was on the wall, the team informed Howard that he would be either traded or released this offseason, a source said.

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

This forum cracks me up sometimes.  90% of the reactions on here to pretty much anything are rational, measured and 99% courteous.  Don't you people know you're on the internet?

Hey, what are you saying? You want this place to turn into CCS? 🤔🤔🤔😁😁😁

Just now, RunningVaccs said:

This forum cracks me up sometimes.  90% of the reactions on here to pretty much anything are rational, measured and 99% courteous.  Don't you people know you're on the internet?

That’s why I’ve been a member of this forum for like 13 years - less meatballism than Twitter. Maybe @Webmaster should add that slogan to the masthead. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This. If they weren’t going to use him in 2019 then getting literally anything for him is a plus. 

https://670thescore.radio.com/emma-why-chicago-bears-traded-running-back-jordan-howard

Says here that per source Howard was told earlier in the offseason that he’d either be traded or released.

Well if Howard knew that you can bet the entire NFL knew it as well ergo the reason for his low trade value.

I would have liked to have gotten at least a 2020 3rd for him but if we end up with a 5th or 6th so be it.  Pace has been able to find good players that late before and we'll need as many picks next year as we can accumulate.

And I'm pleased Jordan ends up on a decent team with a shot at keeping his career on track.  He deserved that.

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well if Howard knew that you can bet the entire NFL knew it as well ergo the reason for his low trade value.

I would have liked to have gotten at least a 2020 3rd for him but if we end up with a 5th or 6th so be it.  Pace has been able to find good players that late before and we'll need as many picks next year as we can accumulate.

And I'm pleased Jordan ends up on a decent team with a shot at keeping his career on track.  He deserved that.

I would have liked to hit my 12-team parlay in Vegas last weekend too. Both of us are disappointed. 😒

Sucks to see him go but it needed to be done. If Nagy feels he is holding the offense back then  why play him? At least this way we got some compensation rather than using him sparingly so he walked for nothing next year if he turned into a bench warmer. 

I would have rather kept him for a year and banked on him being in top shape for his do tract year, but I'm not in the stadium of course. He might not be a star but he is quality depth IMO at bare minimum. 

Just wait for the first injured RB that was slated to start for some other team. This will be brought up and people with think we could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd for him if we had just held onto him for a bit longer. Lol

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I would have liked to hit my 12-team parlay in Vegas last weekend too. Both of us are disappointed. 😒

I based that on a 2020 3rd having the value of a 2019 4th and at best a 2020 5th has the value of a 2019 6th which we lacked.  But in the end I prefer more picks in 2020 anyway so I'm not losing sleep over it.  Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I'm also a professional investment analyst/advisor and I understand the wisdom of cutting your losses short and letting your winners ride.

Many gamblers would do well to follow that same path as well but the few I know personally rarely do. ;) LOL

I think it's important to realize who we traded with too. Hall was going to be cut during the final cuts and we traded him to philly for a conditional pick we didn't think was going to convey, and it did and now we have another pick this year, albeit a 7th. i'm very curious to know the conditions to get it to a 5th, i think they should be reasonable to convey 

14 minutes ago, soulman said:

NFL knew for sure as soon as Pace said he was on market at combine, they could all guess late in 2018 season just like all of Chicago media and this board did repeatedly.

It doesn't raise or lower his value, if he didn't offer him up nobody would have called.  His value was what someone was willing to offer, no more no less.  Possibly if you wait and a team gets ravaged with injury at the position during pre season or camp his value goes up, but that is hard on the player.  Better to build a good rep with players IMO than maybe get 1 round up by waiting on something that may or may not even happen.    It was good move of Pace to be upfront with Howard on their plans to move him.  Players appreciate that honesty.  You don't want to be hanging with the guys, working out, planning your season and get blindsided with a move.

Even good players get low ball trade offers on last year of their contract because you are only potentially getting guy for 1 year.  Washington spent a 4th on Dix for part of a season which was probably too much.  Only great players like Mack get big trade deals and that is only if they resign.

They spent a 5th, got 3 good years and got probably a 5th or 6th back.  That is pretty good.  A 5th was probably always best case scenario given that he is entering 4th year and he played poorly last year.

Archived