Draft Prospect RB's Who Fit Physical Profile For Bears Offense

soulman

16 hours ago, soulman said:

If he's anything like Miller ya' gotta love the chip on the shoulder and will to succeed attitude those Memphis kids acquire and I'm sure he's love to join Miller in Chicago having a former teammate to help with his rookie transition.

His explosiveness and big play ability are undeniable but he's not all that elusive or nifty and IMHO he's not gonna handle the job as an every down back if Davis was lost to an injury so we'd need a fourth back more like Davis to fill that role. 

The other obvious question are is he what Nagy and Pace are looking for and where's he most likely to go in the draft?  He's not a perfect all around back so would it be worth it to spend picks to trade up for him if necessary?

Those are questions only Pace and Nagy can answer.

Thank God it’s finally draft week. This question is SO ready to be answered... 🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Thank God it’s finally draft week. This question is SO ready to be answered... 🤦‍♂️

Yep, it is and only because as even Jonathan Woods said in that Podcast there may be a dozen backs out of the top 20 who fit including Mike Weber.

Just to satisfy myself I went back and watched as many RB highlight vids of our "suspect" list as I could trying somehow to rank who I'd rate as mid 3rd to mid 4th picks and then who I rate as late 4th to late 5th picks trying to cover all contingencies from either moving up in round three for Nagy's perfect guy, to staying put at #87 or trading back for an early 4th and 5th or 6th. 

It wasn't easy but what I think could happen is this feeling the top three; Jacobs, Montgomery, and Sander are off the board.

1) Harris and Henderson are backs we'd have to move up from #87 for and only one of the two is still available but even moving up to say Cleveland's spot at #80 would cost us our 5th and our 7th or maybe a 2020 4th and a 2019 7th.  The latter might be worth it but not so much the former.

2) If we stay put at #87 or trade back to early round four I put Singletary in that spot and T Will with our pick at #119 if Singletary is gone or Ozigbo may sneak in here as well if we want to risk it based on just one years production but very good upside or he may join the 5th rounders.

3) All of the rest I rated as 5th round picks either early or late or an earlier 6th and/or UDFA depending on trades.

So I rank them Harris, Henderson, Singletary, T Will just as a wild guess really but also how I see them on Pace's board.  Of those left for rounds five, six or UDFA  Mattison, Weber, and B. Anderson, in that order stand out a bit more to me

Now watch our first pick in the third round be like, Andy Isabella-WR xD

EDIT (For the record, I'd be thrilled with that pickup, I think he ends up being the best WR of the class, just that it would seem to be out of left field)

22 minutes ago, Epyon said:

EDIT (For the record, I'd be thrilled with that pickup, I think he ends up being the best WR of the class, just that it would seem to be out of left field)

I for one would be 100% on board with taking a WR higher in this draft. Gabriel has just $2M in guarantees in the last 2 years of his deal after 2019 and ideally will be our #3 WR this year with Miller ascending. I don’t see Gabriel as a core player, and if/when we are looking to free up some $ as needed to keep as much of our core roster together as we can he could well be a name who is let go. Also, I’m not nearly as high on Wims as some of you guys. I like him as a potential #4 but I don’t know that I ever see more than that for him, and with my choice I’d rather see a burner in that role. Isabella fits in that regard, but I also think he’s overrated in round 3. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I for one would be 100% on board with taking a WR higher in this draft. Gabriel has just $2M in guarantees in the last 2 years of his deal after 2019 and ideally will be our #3 WR this year with Miller ascending. I don’t see Gabriel as a core player, and if/when we are looking to free up some $ as needed to keep as much of our core roster together as we can he could well be a name who is let go. Also, I’m not nearly as high on Wims as some of you guys. I like him as a potential #4 but I don’t know that I ever see more than that for him, and with my choice I’d rather see a burner in that role. Isabella fits in that regard, but I also think he’s overrated in round 3. 

Even if it's not isabella (who I'm apparently WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher on than you), it's a pretty damn loaded draft in general for WRs.  A good-great talent could easily slide to our 3rd rounder, or even our 4th... and that might prove to be too good an opportunity to really pass up on, particularly if Pace actually really likes one of the later round RBs

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Even if it's not isabella (who I'm apparently WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher on than you), it's a pretty damn loaded draft in general for WRs.  A good-great talent could easily slide to our 3rd rounder, or even our 4th... and that might prove to be too good an opportunity to really pass up on, particularly if Pace actually really likes one of the later round RBs

See to me this is why we did so much work on the RBs - it keeps our options far more open by knowing ALL the RB prospects well in what I think is a more likely than not scenario where we take a non-RB at 87. For me I wouldn’t take any RB at 87 except Jacobs, Sanders, Montgomery, Harris or Henderson. I think they’re all gone by then, and I have pretty similar grades on the next several guys. 

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

Pace and Nagy love speed and if they're thinking ahead about a Tyreek Hill type kid to replace Gabriel he's it.

He seems more like a Belicheat kinda pick and I don't think we'd spend a 3rd on him but if Pace can trade back and stack two 4th round picks I could see him taking Isabella.  Like Miller he'll need some coaching to get his college game more in line with an NFL offense but he gives Nagy another guy who has to be accounted for when he's on the field and he loves players like that.

The bigger problem as always is finding a trading partner.  One possibility would be TB and our 3rd for their 4th (100), 5th (134) and 7th (191).  We end up with a top ten pick in rounds 4, 5, and 7 in addition to our own 4 picks in those rounds.  Lots of possibilities to cover some spots with some young competition with two picks each in rounds 4 and 5 and three picks in 7.

The points nearly balance but they'd have to want someone badly enough at #87 to make that swap.

I too am cool with taking a WR at 87.

I would like one that can flat out run, which made the visit with Emmanuel Hall so interesting.

Give me Hall, 6'2" and 4.3 speed would add an element to the offense and allow the Bears to move on from an expensive option in 2020.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/video/chicago-bears-draft-clock-rodney-anderson

I know this dude has major injury concerns but when he is healthy he is a legit talent.  Given what we have already done this off-season and the fact that some people were willing to roll the dice on Love AND Pace has shown that he likes to swing for the fences this guy kinda makes sense.  He is possible the most versatile back in the class.  Maybe not in the 3rd but if he falls to the 4th then why not.

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm an Isabella fan but I don't think he actually makes it to 87. If he is there at our pick though I'm happily taking him though. He could stretch the field for Robinson, Miller, and Burton in a way Gabriel has yet to do. 

No more midgets.

Lets get a big dude who can run.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No more midgets.

Lets get a big dude who can run.

We tried that already.  He could run like wind but didn't know to where.

Far too much emphasis is given to speed alone.  No matter how fast they are they still have to be where the football comes back to earth when it comes back to earth and catch it.  Neither AJ or ARob are particularly fast but both can threaten downfield and high point throws.

Speed in the form of being quick and sharp in and out of cuts in the 10-15 yard zones is still the meat and potatoes of an NFL passing game and you know that as well.

Trubisky is getting quite good at hitting on shorter and intermediate routes and less so with his long ball.  That may improve but I don't see him as a Patrick Mahomes type.  I see him more as a Tom Brady type and NE makes hay with smaller quick WRs.

Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, soulman said:

We tried that already.  He could run like wind but didn't know to where.

Far too much emphasis is given to speed alone.  No matter how fast they are they still have to be where the football comes back to earth when it comes back to earth and catch it.  Neither AJ or ARob are particularly fast but both can threaten downfield and high point throws.

Speed in the form of being quick and sharp in and out of cuts in the 10-15 yard zones is still the meat and potatoes of an NFL passing game and you know that as well.

Trubisky is getting quite good at hitting on shorter and intermediate routes and less so with his long ball.  That may improve but I don't see him as a Patrick Mahomes type.  I see him more as a Tom Brady type and NE makes hay with smaller quick WRs.

Just a thought.

We have a ton of guys who can work the shorter to intermediate area in Robinson, Burton, Cohen, Miller.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We have a ton of guys who can work the shorter to intermediate area in Robinson, Burton, Cohen, Miller.

But your point was a "big dude who can run".

My response is does that really matter more than fast with hands and can run a route accurately when needed?

Whether a guy is 6'2" or 5'10" or even shorter if his primary job is as a deep threat all he has do is beat his man and be able to adjust to and catch the deep ball.  I saw Gabriel at just 5'8" do just that on a deep throw last year and we've all seen a 6'3" Kevin White be completely useless as a deep threat.

Archived