Raiders sign WR Ryan Grant (1 year, $2.5 M)

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

http://pfref.com/tiny/MXemV

Rk Player Year G Att Yds TD Y/A Lng Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Ryan Grant 2018 14 0 0 0   0 35 334 1 9.5 23
2 JJ Nelson 2018 14 4 0 0 .0 8 7 64 0 9.1 17
3 Seth Roberts 2018 15 3 5 0 1.7 11 45 494 2 11.0 44

Not saying he won't be cut but it's not like these guys are a huge upgrade over him no matter how much this board dislikes him. They are cheaper though. We'll see...

Roberts' production resulted from us having no good WRs other than J. Nelson.  JJ Nelson didn't produce due to having a rookie QB.  He's definitely had better stats in the past.  Ryan Grant's stats are decent, but he's also a WR that shouldn't be starting, maybe the #3, but that's about it.  

41 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Roberts' production resulted from us having no good WRs other than J. Nelson.  JJ Nelson didn't produce due to having a rookie QB.  He's definitely had better stats in the past.  Ryan Grant's stats are decent, but he's also a WR that shouldn't be starting, maybe the #3, but that's about it.  

When Ryan Grant played with Kirk Cousins: 45 receptions, 573 yards, 4 TD

When JJ Nelson played with Carson Palmer: 29 receptions, 508 yards, 2 TD 

Neither of these guys are world beaters but they're solid complimentary WR. Grant has the ability to be effective in the slot and Nelson is one of the fastest WR in the league. Brought both guys in to complement Williams and AB, they did a good job of finding cheap vets that can move around the field so that we can also move Williams and AB around too. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Neither of these guys are world beaters but they're solid complimentary WR. Grant has the ability to be effective in the slot and Nelson is one of the fastest WR in the league. Brought both guys in to complement Williams and AB, they did a good job of finding cheap vets that can move around the field so that we can also move Williams and AB around too. 

Grant with Luck though? Lost his job to Inman

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So like I said neither are huge upgrades over Roberts. They can play and have areas they are best at. How makes the team will be decided on the field as it should be imo. I don't think we'll carry 6 WRs, so I see 2 spots open besides AB, Williams and Harris barring injury. We could always grab a rookie as well which I'm sure someone will add comment on next.

52 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

So like I said neither are huge upgrades over Roberts. They can play and have areas they are best at. How makes the team will be decided on the field as it should be imo. I don't think we'll carry 6 WRs, so I see 2 spots open besides AB, Williams and Harris barring injury. We could always grab a rookie as well which I'm sure someone will add comment on next.

Grant has experience operating in the slot, IIRC. Nelson is one of the fastest receivers in the league and a legit deep threat. We needed receivers that can give us different looks than Williams and Brown, complimentary pieces. So now we have a legit #1/#2, a speedster, and a decent slot guy. Would still like to see us add someone like AJ Brown or Hollywood Brown in the draft though. 

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Where do you get this stuff? You're pulling stats of Grant playing with Cousins and I'm asking what happened with Luck.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Grant has experience operating in the slot, IIRC. Nelson is one of the fastest receivers in the league and a legit deep threat. We needed receivers that can give us different looks than Williams and Brown, complimentary pieces. So now we have a legit #1/#2, a speedster, and a decent slot guy. Would still like to see us add someone like AJ Brown or Hollywood Brown in the draft though. 

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Where do you get this stuff? You're pulling stats of Grant playing with Cousins and I'm asking what happened with Luck.

You criticize Grant and Warren like they're supposed to be stars to make the team, they're both going to be 3rd-4th options. 

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You criticize Grant and Warren like they're supposed to be stars to make the team, they're both going to be 3rd-4th options. 

I've literally said nothing on Grant except I like the move.

Warren... yeah, I don't drink the preseason koolaid on him, sorry.  

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've literally said nothing on Grant except I like the move.

Warren... yeah, I don't drink the preseason koolaid on him, sorry.  

I'm drinking the Warren koolaid. He probably won't become anything though.  Probably our next Elijah Hood.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I'm drinking the Warren koolaid. He probably won't become anything though.  Probably our next Elijah Hood.

Lol... Hood was hilarious. Sucked so bad he didn't carries in preseason and fans here were spinning it as they were keeping him under wraps to stash on the practice squad. 

At least Warren ran the ball well. Just needs to show it against first team defenses and lower his dang pads. 

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Lol... Hood was hilarious. Sucked so bad he didn't carries in preseason and fans here were spinning it as they were keeping him under wraps to stash on the practice squad. 

At least Warren ran the ball well. Just needs to show it against first team defenses and lower his dang pads. 

I just liked his character.  E. Hood is a good guy, you root for the good guys.  I still like Warren.  I hope he does learn how to lower his pads.  I would love to watch a monster just beat up LBs and DBs all day.  I hope it happens.  It'll be fun to watch this preseason too.

He's an upgrade over Roberts IMO simply because he will be reliable and he seems to have decent hands from what I know. On a per game basis, he was about as productive as roberts, but from all the clips I've seen, he has a little better ability to run routes. Chris reed I think it is on twitter did a short breakdown on him.

Hopefully he comes in motivated and one of him/Nelson break out, but I'm optimistic that we'll get a nice rookie in here, who'll produce big time for us.

Archived