So who's the next domino to fall? Take your pick

Tony7188

3 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Also, why would Zeke take a team friendly deal? He's done so much for this offense. 

Idk if this refers to anything I said or if it’s just a general query, but yeah, I agree, Zeke’s not giving us any sort of discount. He’s the one guy we “have to” pay at this point that will assuredly only take a deal that makes him the highest paid payer at his position.

Edited by matt79511

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Interesting, I vaguely remembered hearing that the Cowboys had done something like activating him near the end of his rookie year so he could accrue a season. And pro-Jerry people were like, “See, for all his faults, this is why players love playing for his team.”

Then Stephen Jones himself said that Jaylon only has one more year on his contract then he’s an FA.

A quick google shows me that this is not a universally accepted position, and some poeple have questioned that SJ knows what he’s talking about. But I haven’t seen anything definitive either way.

OTC and Spotrac both have him as an RFA and outlets like ESPN have parroted that. It would be a pretty egregious thing for Stephen to be wrong about, but I don’t see how that’s not the case. I don’t think he was ever activated off NFI as a rookie.

8 hours ago, matt79511 said:

OTC and Spotrac both have him as an RFA and outlets like ESPN have parroted that. It would be a pretty egregious thing for Stephen to be wrong about, but I don’t see how that’s not the case. I don’t think he was ever activated off NFI as a rookie.

Interesting, I dug on this a bit and it was widely reported that we were activating him off NFI in November of 2016 along with Darren McFadden. 

I think the Cowboys did him a solid and let his contract toll. Or at least intended for that to happen.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The reason everyone gives is that he spent an entire season on NFI. But if you search “Jaylon Smith activated” on Twitter, that doesn’t seem to be true. 

8 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Interesting, I dug on this a bit and it was widely reported that we were activating him off NFI in November of 2016 along with Darren McFadden. 

I think the Cowboys did him a solid and let his contract toll. Or at least intended for that to happen.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The reason everyone gives is that he spent an entire season on NFI. But if you search “Jaylon Smith activated” on Twitter, that doesn’t seem to be true. 

So it looks like you’re right, that he was activated off NFI before being moved to IR, but does that count as an accrued season? Was he actually on the 53-man roster for that three-week practice window or in some separate void? And even if he was, I know in the case of drug suspensions, Gordon or Gregory or whoever can play a couple of games in a year and not have it count if they missed the vast majority. Guess we’ll see.

If we did actively forfeit a year of cost control for Jaylon out of sheer kindness, after drafting him a full round or two higher than anyone else would have, one would hope they already have a tacit agreement in place with his agent, because otherwise that’s terrible business.

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

So it looks like you’re right, that he was activated off NFI before being moved to IR, but does that count as an accrued season? Was he actually on the 53-man roster for that three-week practice window or in some separate void? And even if he was, I know in the case of drug suspensions, Gordon or Gregory or whoever can play a couple of games in a year and not have it count if they missed the vast majority. Guess we’ll see.

If we did actively forfeit a year of cost control for Jaylon out of sheer kindness, after drafting him a full round or two higher than anyone else would have, one would hope they already have a tacit agreement in place with his agent, because otherwise that’s terrible business.

I guess I don’t understand why they would activate him from NFI just to put him on IR unless something resulted from that. 

I guess that depends on your definition of terrible business. Employees who feel supported and know that their bosses have their best interest at heart generally perform better than ones who feel held hostage and hate their bosses. Creating a great culture is not bad business.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I guess I don’t understand why they would activate him from NFI just to put him on IR unless something resulted from that. 

I guess that depends on your definition of terrible business. Employees who feel supported and know that their bosses have their best interest at heart generally perform better than ones who feel held hostage and hate their bosses. Creating a great culture is not bad business.

The team absolutely has to keep Jaylon. Drafting him high and putting as much time as they did into helping him come along is the reason I had him as getting paid before Dak. If he's accrued a season (thanks to the F.O.) that would mean he's a UFA next year, along with Dak. I think Dak's contract is going to be one of the trickiest contracts to get done, I could see the team needing to use the franchise tag as he could be seeking top dollar. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Dak

Amari

Jaylon

Zeke

Jones

Only reason Zeke is so low is I worry about his usage/position. Paying for future production, not past. 

I think things will get ugly fast if this happens. Zeke will probably hold out.

18 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I think things will get ugly fast if this happens. Zeke will probably hold out.

If that happens we trade him. Just like the Steelers should have done. 

But you also have to remember that Zeke has been a top 5 paid RB since the moment he was drafted.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I see what you’re saying. In this particular case, it just seems like we’ve already been accommodating towards him and his prolonged rehabilitation process, so one would hope he “pays it back” a bit and doesn’t drain us for every last dollar.

I was also starting to doubt that cultivating morale was more of a priority for this franchise than hardlining, but signing D-Law eases that.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I see what you’re saying. In this particular case, it just seems like we’ve already been accommodating towards him and his prolonged rehabilitation process, so one would hope he “pays it back” a bit and doesn’t drain us for every last dollar.

I was also starting to doubt that cultivating morale was more of a priority for this franchise than hardlining, but signing D-Law eases that.

I expect that the goodwill we have built with Jaylon will result in a contract that both sides are happy with, certainly.

Here's the way I see it.   Amari will be the next one to receive a deal.  He'll only be 25 this year, and we didn't trade a 1st for a 1/5 year rental.   Plus,  I believe they are committed to at a minimum franchising Dak in 2020.   I mean you don't sign Amari and not keep your qb.    I think at least one if not both of Byron Jones and La'el Collins could be traded or allowed to walk. 

13 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Here's the way I see it.   Amari will be the next one to receive a deal.  He'll only be 25 this year, and we didn't trade a 1st for a 1/5 year rental.   Plus,  I believe they are committed to at a minimum franchising Dak in 2020.   I mean you don't sign Amari and not keep your qb.    I think at least one if not both of Byron Jones and La'el Collins could be traded or allowed to walk. 

I don’t see the franchise tag for Dak I agree Coop is probably next followed closely by Dak and Smith  also the amount we pay for these three determines just what we offer for Jones we may let him walk as the past has shown drafting young secondary seems to have worked well past few but in thinking that you might see CB this draft then 

This is also the year to decide between Fredrick and Loony if Fredrick struggles then we will have problems as Looney is also a FA soon and he may be allowed to walk as well. Which is why it is never a bad idea to keep adding depth.    

Edited by quiller
So ck

I'm really hoping we can afford to keep them all. I mean that's why we don't sign outside free agents, right? We can't ignore free agency for like 7 years straight and also ignore our drafted home grown talent. Part of building through the draft is retaining your picks that did well.

I would rather keep Dak on his rookie deal this year. We still have two tags we could use on him after that. By then he'd be going into his 7th season at age 29, and hopefully we know exactly who he is. We can either let him loose or sign him big; the Redskins didn't seem to suffer much of a drop off from Cousins to Smith.

• Like 3