Draft Scenario Discussion

WindyCity

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am torn. What if the difference between decent and dynamic is what the 2019 season comes down to?

I like more RBs in this draft then others here, but I reject the trade because I want with 2 2nds next year to have the opportunity to use that to get back into the late 1st if we love a guy. I like Henderson but not more than the other guys in that tier to the extent where he’s worth a 2 AND a 3 to me, and really it’s not like we’re the only team looking for an explosive potential big play RB on the cheap - if consensus is that he’s that good then someone else will just take him and this is all moot. 

Honestly once we get past Jacobs and Sanders the next 7 or so guys are pretty close for me each with different things where they excel, and because of that I’m more inclined to trade down from 87 than up. If I can move from 87 to like 97 and add another 4 this year then I’m all about that. There are a lot of guys I like in that 3/4 range this year. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Does anyone subscribe to the Athletic? Dane Brugler, who IMO is the most underrated draft analyst out there, posted his 7 round mock today.

Dane is one of my favorite twitter scouts. Him and Josh Norris

Chicago Bears
3 87 CB David Long
4 126 RB Ryquell Armstead
5 162 DS Will Harris
7 222 OG Beau Benzschawel
7 238 LB Sutton Smith

30 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Chicago Bears
3 87 CB David Long
5 162 DS Will Harris
7 238 LB Sutton Smith

I could live with it. 

If they do not go RB in round 3 I think CB is the most likely pick.

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Don't, and don't know who that is. Is a subscription required to view his stuff? 

He used to be the head draftnik for CBS but then left for the Athletic. He's right on a ton of stuff and IIRC he was the guy who said the Bears were taking Trubisky and stuck with it for the month leading up to the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Chicago Bears
3 87 CB David Long
5 162 DS Will Harris
7 238 LB Sutton Smith

I appreciate you posting this.

Benzschawel would be a good pick that late. Not sure I love Long and Armstead.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

He used to be the head draftnik for CBS but then left for the Athletic. He's right on a ton of stuff and IIRC he was the guy who said the Bears were taking Trubisky and stuck with it for the month leading up to the draft.

He did crush the Trubisky thing that draft.

He is solid and does not go to extremes like guys like Matt Miller and Silva.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

He did crush the Trubisky thing that draft.

He is solid and does not go to extremes like guys like Matt Miller and Silva.

I used to like Miller, but as time went on, I realized how he's wrong often and how little I care about his beloved state of citizenship (Missouri) and Natty Light beer.

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Chicago Bears
3 87 CB David Long
5 162 DS Will Harris
7 238 LB Sutton Smith

That haul would surprise me.   Armstead seems a lot like Howard.  Lot's of power but not nifty and not a great receiver.  I don't think it's a bad pick as much as I do a head scratcher.

Long = Slot CB?  Seems to lack what we look for in an edge CB.

Harris = more of a "banger" than a coverage guy but who knows what Pagano values just yet.

17 minutes ago, soulman said:

That haul would surprise me.   Armstead seems a lot like Howard.  Lot's of power but not nifty and not a great receiver.  I don't think it's a bad pick as much as I do a head scratcher.

Long = Slot CB?  Seems to lack what we look for in an edge CB.

Harris = more of a "banger" than a coverage guy but who knows what Pagano values just yet.

Armstead resets back to rookie scale though even if he is comparable to Howard.  So its a net gain.  

Still why go for mediocre?   Seems anti-Paceian.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Armstead resets back to rookie scale though even if he is comparable to Howard.  So its a net gain.  

Still why go for mediocre?   Seems anti-Paceian.

Money wise yes but it still seems odd that if fans and media want to claim that Howard was not a fit just how Armstead would be.  I don't see it.

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Armstead, despite a nice 40 time did not test well in the explosive tests. His vertical, while better than Montgomery, was very OLish.

And his scouting report confirms this.  Seems like more of a power/gap between the tackles back than Howard so right now I don't see a fit.