***Spoiler FREE*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Acgott

On 5/2/2019 at 2:31 PM, MWil23 said:

Funny, I always thought that Luke's "foresight" was more of a premonition/self fulfilling prophecy. Right after Luke sees the future with the clouds, Yoda says something along the lines of "strange thing, the future is", and with the end result, it makes me wonder/leaves it open for whether or not Luke does more harm than good/fulfills the future in that instant when he acts on impulse. It's not necessarily the gift many of you make it out to be.

JMHO

I'm far from a Star Wars expert.

I do agree on it not being a gift.  In Legends, Jacen Solo's fall to the dark side was caused by a vision he saw of his daughter and his desire to protect her.  I do agree with the rest that Luke has always seen the good in people, so why would he decide at that point to do something outside of his character?

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I do agree on it not being a gift.  In Legends, Jacen Solo's fall to the dark side was caused by a vision he saw of his daughter and his desire to protect her.  I do agree with the rest that Luke has always seen the good in people, so why would he decide at that point to do something outside of his character?

Because of his impulsiveness. Like that time in the Emperor's throne room, that was so impulsive for him to do that.

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Not the biggest fan of Palpatine coming back but this trilogy is already ruined regardless. 

There is one reddit theory I like where Palpatine learned his masters magic (Darth Plagueis) of how to live forever and that he also created Rey just like he created Anakin. It would make sense for Palpatine to be the main villain in all three trilogies, basically coming full circle. The theory is muchhhh more complex than I’m describing here, I’ll see if I can find it. 

The problem with that theory is that there is another one, which is what occurred in Legends, where the creation/birth of Anakin Skywalker was the Force fighting back against the machinations and Dark Side rituals from Plagueis and Sidious.  A defeated Palpatine from ROTJ would not shape to create a being such as Rey at this point, unless he used/took over Snoke for that purpose.  

A theory I've enjoyed is that Plagueis is actually Sidious, and could actually be Snoke.  Just an immensely powerful Dark Side being who runs bodies to the end of usefulness, is then killed by his apprentice and then he takes them over via Essence Transfer.  

Edited by naptownskinsfan

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He's always been a very emotional/impulsive character, especially when it comes to "the greater good" or those close to him. Look at the Emperor's throne room when he tries to strike out of anger (ROTJ), coming back early from his training to rescue his friends (ESB), Fighting/striking Vader out of anger when he says that he'll turn Leia (ROTJ)...the list goes on. He also admits to giving into his impulse for a split second, and then starts to change his mind, but it's too late because Ben wakes up/sees him. 

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's always been a very emotional/impulsive character, especially when it comes to "the greater good" or those close to him. Look at the Emperor's throne room when he tries to strike out of anger (ROTJ), coming back early from his training to rescue his friends (ESB), Fighting/striking Vader out of anger when he says that he'll turn Leia (ROTJ)...the list goes on. He also admits to giving into his impulse for a split second, and then starts to change his mind, but it's too late because Ben wakes up/sees him. 

No matter how many times someone uses this line of reasoning, it still won't convince me of his actions in TLJ being valid. 

16 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

No matter how many times someone uses this line of reasoning, it still won't convince me of his actions in TLJ being valid. 

That's fine, I'm not trying to convince you. That said, you also need to understand that it's not completely out of his character either. He was NEVER one with the force until the ending of TLJ. That's pretty much the point, not just the lone action with Ben Solo. Luke wrestled with this in Episodes 4-8.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

That's fine, I'm not trying to convince you. That said, you also need to understand that it's not completely out of his character either. He was NEVER one with the force until the ending of TLJ. That's pretty much the point, not just the lone action with Ben Solo. Luke wrestled with this in Episodes 4-8.

It defeats the purpose of growth in character. Palpatine and Vader were blowing up rebel ships left and right, with a strong amount of the dark side in that room affecting Luke. Circumstances were incredibly different and there was far more pressure on him then then there was him being in the hut. There was nothing effecting Luke there, there was no Palpatine influencing him, there was no power of the dark side shrouding over him, he wasn't trying to save his friends from being killed, or to protect his sister. All these things played a factor in the throne room, in that hut there was just him (Grand Master of the Jedi Order) and Ben, with him giving into his thoughts after seeing some passing thoughts in Ben's head. The impulsiveness just doesn't make sense there.

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Well, Disney can’t mess up the KotOR trilogy right? Should be rated R too. I’ll take PG13 if it’s extremely well written. 

Didn't they come out before and say the events of Kotor never happened?

And isn't that the same one that D&D are producing?

19 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Didn't they come out before and say the events of Kotor never happened?

pretty sure Kotor and SWTOR are the only things that stayed cannon. Might be wrong, but I vaguely remember thinking it was a weird choice

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

pretty sure Kotor and SWTOR are the only things that stayed cannon. Might be wrong, but I vaguely remember thinking it was a weird choice

I'm not sure either. But I thought I remember them saying the only things that were cannon were the movies, Rebels, and Clone Wars. 

21 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I'm not sure either. But I thought I remember them saying the only things that were cannon were the movies, Rebels, and Clone Wars. 

You are correct. Canon is now the 11 movies released, the TV shows you mentioned, and all books, comics, etc. released starting in April 2014.

However, Disney can make them canon and still use characters and stories from the legends if they want to.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You are correct. Canon is now the 11 movies released, the TV shows you mentioned, and all books, comics, etc. released starting in April 2014.

However, Disney can make them canon and still use characters and stories from the legends if they want to.

They reintroduced Thrawn for instance, both in comic form and on Rebels

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 2:44 PM, Deadpulse said:

They reintroduced Thrawn for instance, both in comic form and on Rebels

Plus two novels (and a third on its way.) . 

Also, one of the guides to The Last Jedi said that Luke has a Jedi Crusader pendant in his hut on Acht-To.  This would mean that Revan is canon.  

However, the SWTOR MMO, KOTOR I and II are all considered Legends right now.  SWTOR is the only active Legends project under the Star Wars umbrella.