***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Endgame

Deadpulse

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

"McFeely called Natasha's sacrifice for the Soul Stone as an 'everlasting exchange,' seemingly closing the door on the character ever being resurrected. "You bring her back, you lose the stone."

So if Cap returned the Soul Stone (which they implied he did) then she's not dead. Either that or he kept it.

13 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

"McFeely called Natasha's sacrifice for the Soul Stone as an 'everlasting exchange,' seemingly closing the door on the character ever being resurrected. "You bring her back, you lose the stone."

So if Cap returned the Soul Stone (which they implied he did) then she's not dead. Either that or he kept it.

Yes that is what I am wondering too....

but if he returned it, will gamora also be back or since this stone is "different" from the first one she is gone for good?

14 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

but if he returned it, will gamora also be back or since this stone is "different" from the first one she is gone for good?

He would have returned it at the point in time in which Black Widow sacrificed herself since he has to return it at the exact point in time in which it was taken. So that was in 2014 I believe since Hawkeye and Black Widow left for Vormir after they arrived at the planet Quill took the infinity stone in the first Guardians movie with Nebula and War Machine.

Edit: So yeah the 2018 Gamora that died in Infinity War is gone for good

Edited by dtait93
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

46 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

He would have returned it at the point in time in which Black Widow sacrificed herself since he has to return it at the exact point in time in which it was taken. So that was in 2014 I believe since Hawkeye and Black Widow left for Vormir after they arrived at the planet Quill took the infinity stone in the first Guardians movie with Nebula and War Machine.

Edit: So yeah the 2018 Gamora that died in Infinity War is gone for good

That's what I got too - 2018 Gamora is gone, because the stone was retrieved/returned in 2014.   

As for Natasha, no idea what they will do - it could very well be a prequel.  The thing is, if Natasha's future isn't quite known, it probably gives the MCU a better chance for success.  When we know exactly what is happening in the future, it's really hard to capture an audience's imagination - part of why we go is to be surprised.    That's why the X-Men reboot worked so well - time travel gets rightly criticized for being a get-out-of-jail free card, but if having a new future in that case allowed for a new arc of stories (and let's face it, anything is better than what Last Stand did for that franchise).    Leaving out what Cap does with Nat, and whether or not she has any other future other than the sacrifice being permanent, that uncertainty probably is needed for the standalone movie to get traction.  Still, I've learned not to doubt Feige & co., so I'll wait and see what happens next, not like they haven't pulled a rabbit (or raccoon) out of their hat before.

I am looking forward to Far From Home - I really do think it will be an homage to post-Endgame Stark-snap fallout.   I am reallly happy that Gunn is returning for GOTG3 now - it's too bad it's delayed for a while now, understandable given how that played out, but we likely aren't getting Gamora resolution for 3+ years minimum, now that they have to wait for Suicide Squad to finish shooting first.   Thats a minor quibble, though.    Just experiencing that normal post-epic letdown of wondering what next big thing will capture our imagination - I don't see it being a return to the remaining original Avengers' story expanded forward as the core, I expect Phase 4 to go in a different direction, other than the Black Widow standalone. 

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's what I got too - 2018 Gamora is gone, because the stone was retrieved/returned in 2014.   

As for Natasha, no idea what they will do - it could very well be a prequel.  The thing is, if Natasha's future isn't quite known, it probably gives the MCU a better chance for success.  When we know exactly what is happening in the future, it's really hard to capture an audience's imagination - part of why we go is to be surprised.    That's why the X-Men reboot worked so well - time travel gets rightly criticized for being a get-out-of-jail free card, but if having a new future in that case allowed for a new arc of stories (and let's face it, anything is better than what Last Stand did for that franchise).    Leaving out what Cap does with Nat, and whether or not she has any other future other than the sacrifice being permanent, that uncertainty probably is needed for the standalone movie to get traction.  Still, I've learned not to doubt Feige & co., so I'll wait and see what happens next, not like they haven't pulled a rabbit (or raccoon) out of their hat before.

I am looking forward to Far From Home - I really do think it will be an homage to post-Endgame Stark-snap fallout.   I am reallly happy that Gunn is returning for GOTG3 now - it's too bad it's delayed for a while now, understandable given how that played out, but we likely aren't getting Gamora resolution for 3+ years minimum, now that they have to wait for Suicide Squad to finish shooting first.   Thats a minor quibble, though.    Just experiencing that normal post-epic letdown of wondering what next big thing will capture our imagination - I don't see it being a return to the remaining original Avengers' story expanded forward as the core, I expect Phase 4 to go in a different direction, other than the Black Widow standalone. 

"Its a prequel"

Trailer comes out: she's in an alternative time line! Just kidding but yes you never know...

At the end of phase 4, does anyone have a guess at what the big team up movie will be? I'm thinking maybe New Avengers vs Kang? then at the end of phase 5, assuming they introduce the x-men/FF here, maybe we'll get secret invasion?

7 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

"Its a prequel"

Trailer comes out: she's in an alternative time line! Just kidding but yes you never know...

At the end of phase 4, does anyone have a guess at what the big team up movie will be? I'm thinking maybe New Avengers vs Kang? then at the end of phase 5, assuming they introduce the x-men/FF here, maybe we'll get secret invasion?

Kang or Galactus would be my guess.   It's got to be universe-level.   The risk, though - what's made the MCU Phase 1-3 endearing to the public is that while it's fantasy/sci-fi writing - the best stories are ones that humanity identifies with.  Even when it's set in space, making GOTG about Quill finding his identity, banding misfits together who don't belong, Drax's revenge, Gamora's quest for atonement - those are very relatable themes.   Cap & Bucky may have been super soldiers engineered by different means, but their humanity, friendship through all types of adversity, and Cap's optimism despite so much sacrifice and loss, and what made that story sing.  Same with Stark's redemption to then tortured leader where heavy lied the crown.    Even if it's universe-level, can they make the stories for the characters relatable?  I think that's part of the chill Captain Marvel's received, the origin story was OK, but not great.   Then again, I'd say the same with Ant-Man, and he really killed it in this one, same for Nebula.  So it's hard for me to distrust Feige & co. on whatever they have planned for Phase 4.

It's going to take a while to build up the X-men / FF verse to make it compelling - their predecessors have done a lot to nerf the baddies in that arc (Doom should be a really strong villain, but no chance that happens without serious repair to his rep after the horror shows FF has given us).  It's kinda sad, I don't even think Doom would get a lot of excitement as a standalone move Big Bad because of how poorly his character has been translated on-screen in prior non-MCU movies.   That's criminal.

Edited by Broncofan

Yeah, Secret Invasion has to happen sometime. You wouldn't introduce the Skrull in Captain Marvel if they aren't going to show up and be a long term bad guy. I am thinking we'll get more build towards that in GotG 3. I could definitely see Thor ending up being a Skrull, would give more impact and make sense since he's in space. Watch for his eyes to change slightly again.

Kang would be an interesting option, though I feel like a larger villain who would need more of an arc, I'm not sure who I'd want the Loki level villain in the new arc....

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

It's going to take a while to build up the X-men / FF verse to make it compelling - their predecessors have done a lot to nerf the baddies in that arc (Doom should be a really strong villain, but no chance that happens without serious repair to his rep after the horror shows FF has given us).  It's kinda sad, I don't even think Doom would get a lot of excitement as a standalone move Big Bad because of how poorly his character has been translated on-screen in prior non-MCU movies.   That's criminal.

I mean, it's going to take a while to build just to get the characters woven in, how do you introduce mutants, though now with time travel that's easier, screwed up the timeline, mutants exist now. But building up bad guys, I think Marvel can just say, ignore the previous movies, and you've done enough right there to have Doom be a big bad guy again easily. 

5 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I mean, it's going to take a while to build just to get the characters woven in, how do you introduce mutants, though now with time travel that's easier, screwed up the timeline, mutants exist now. But building up bad guys, I think Marvel can just say, ignore the previous movies, and you've done enough right there to have Doom be a big bad guy again easily. 

I tend to agree over time, the excitement and trust into MCU will no doubt overcome past expectations.  I was referring more to the fact that if you were to list the potential Black Hats, I bet you'd get a ton of interest in Kang, Galactus, or the Negative Zone, or Celestials.   Doom is close to that level from comic canon, but his public perception will be far more lukewarm from the "casual" MCU fan. 

I count myself as one of them FWIW, at least when I was in high school / college - I didn't read X-men other than Phoenix Saga and Infinity Wars / Secret Wars / etc. until my teenage daughter read them all.   I've caught up more with the comic canon now, but even then I pale in comparison to most avid MCU comic fans. 

But yeah, the X-men arc seems more Phase 5, regardless.   There's enough time to build that up and use Phase 4 to send out foundation-building teasers, too.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I tend to agree over time, the excitement and trust into MCU will no doubt overcome past expectations.  I was referring more to the fact that if you were to list the potential Black Hats, I bet you'd get a ton of interest in Kang, Galactus, or the Negative Zone, or Celestials.   Doom is close to that level from comic canon, but his public perception will be far more lukewarm from the "casual" MCU fan. 

I count myself as one of them FWIW, at least when I was in high school / college - I didn't read X-men other than Phoenix Saga and Infinity Wars / Secret Wars / etc. until my teenage daughter read them all.   I've caught up more with the comic canon now, but even then I pale in comparison to most avid MCU comic fans. 

But yeah, the X-men arc seems more Phase 5, regardless.   There's enough time to build that up and use Phase 4 to send out foundation-building teasers, too.  

Probably 75% of the people that went to Endgame so far haven't read any of the comics.  If you've read any comics related to what's going on in the movies, you're more than casual.

As far as Doom goes, again, probably 75% or more of the people watching these movies haven't seen the latest FF.  I know i didn't.  So he has no rep to me.  Bring him on.  If done well, no one will care about other flopped franchises and what they did with the characters previously.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Probably 75% of the people that went to Endgame so far haven't read any of the comics.  If you've read any comics related to what's going on in the movies, you're more than casual.

As far as Doom goes, again, probably 75% or more of the people watching these movies haven't seen the latest FF.  I know i didn't.  So he has no rep to me.  Bring him on.  If done well, no one will care about other flopped franchises and what they did with the characters previously.

That's fair - just that when Phase 1 & 2 happened, I was definitely in that 75%.   My daughter's interest has changed my comics knowledge (plus, great that spending all that $ actually gets more value lol).

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's fair - just that when Phase 1 & 2 happened, I was definitely in that 75%.   My daughter's interest has changed my comics knowledge (plus, great that spending all that $ actually gets more value lol).

yeah i think overall this next phase is big for Marvel. For hardcore fans, we'll probably have a better understanding of the new characters that will appear but can they keep the casual fans interested without the original 6? I think they will but it will be interesting to see.

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

yeah i think overall this next phase is big for Marvel. For hardcore fans, we'll probably have a better understanding of the new characters that will appear but can they keep the casual fans interested without the original 6? I think they will but it will be interesting to see.

That's why it was vitally important for them to integrate Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spiderman, etc as more "minor" characters to provide some continuity. 

Their next challenge will be to weave those characters together in some team ups to create the drama we've come to expect on a larger scale.

• Like 1

I don't think the F4 movies will hurt Doom's rep. He's the biggest villain Marvel has. The MCU having a chance to do him right would create as much hype as all the other bad guys out there except maybe Galactus or Magneto.

Edited by Bullet Club