Here's my mock:

4. Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

5. Foster Moreau, TE, LSU

6a. Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State

6b. Cole Tracy, K, LSU

6c. Shareef Miller, EDGE, PSU

7. Olisaemeka Udoh, OL, Elon University

I liked Love more than Layne but meh...

Cbs from Mich St tend to be grabby.  I think it is how they are taught.  But all college CBs are grabby because of the rules.  Layne is loooonnnngg.  Those arms are very long.  It is good talent for a 3rd round Cb.

NFL network had a good analysis on the CBs in the draft.  There were no #1 CB and a lot of #2 CB.  There are still a bunch of CBs on the board.

32 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I liked Love more than Layne but meh...

Cbs from Mich St tend to be grabby.  I think it is how they are taught.  But all college CBs are grabby because of the rules.  Layne is loooonnnngg.  Those arms are very long.  It is good talent for a 3rd round Cb.

NFL network had a good analysis on the CBs in the draft.  There were no #1 CB and a lot of #2 CB.  There are still a bunch of CBs on the board.

Thing about Layne is, I think he could get some immediate snaps at slot in 'breather opportunities' for Mike Hilton.  I think Julian Love could have too.  I don't think a guy like Baker or Williams would've gotten those opportunities.   I think Layne has the ability to play in the slot.  He has some good skills for sure, the grabby aspect is why I'm never a big fan of MSU DBs.  But that doesn't make him a bad pick.  It was very good value at this point.  Colbert has done a good job so far.

17 hours ago, muncher said:

colbert needs to shut up. he continues to say stupid stuff

unfortunately some fans fell for this gibberish also

well geez, colbeert . why dont you just trade your late seconds and late thirds straight up for early 3rd and early 4ths  because they are basically the same...........

I think that's a little harsh, tbh, and you are only looking at it from one angle...

Consider this... what's the larger dichotomy in value...66 to 62...or 62 to 34, for instance. The first two are separated as 3rd and 2nd Rds, while the 2nd set of picks are both 2nd Rd picks. Would you rather trade down from 34 to 62, or 62 to 66, if you were trading? 

We as fans get hung up on rounds, rather than picks values, specifically. I guarantee that if the media highlighted the pick numbers...66 and 141, in the trade, instead of 3rd and 5th, the reaction would have likely been more subdued, because those numbers do appear, at first glance, to be closer to a 2nd and 4th.

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Same. They kept showing it FYI. Also a lot of tackling. Not much coverage. I'm ok with the pick. He's not my type of CB. If the Steelers wanna move to a more aggressive Press Man I'm Ok with it but don't draft these types of CBs and have them 8-10 yards off the LOS. 

i thought colbert made it clear that they would re-evaluate the way they look at dbs going forward. 

i was expecting ball hawking/turnover types. 

layne looks like all our other cb draftees.............what am i missing?

29 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If the Steelers are looking for an AB-like player late...look at Toledo WR Diontae Johnson...

LATE being the optimal word in that statement...

And yes, there was better talent available at that point, but c'mon, if people don't recognize the symbolism there?? The fact we took an AB clone, with one of the picks we got back in trade for him? In the 3rd Rd?? Basically, letting AB know that he is easily replaced, by spending no more than a 3rd ?Rd pick?

I am not saying that it will actually come to fruition, but it was a clear message sent to AB...YOU ARE NOT IRREPLACEABLE!!

Colbert / Tomlin likely had this planned weeks ago... knowing that no GM would likely pick Deionte until Day 3.

Oh, and I am 'calling my shot'...

Colbert trades 141, 192, and 207, for a mid-4th, leaving us with:

2 x 4ths (if they can get one...from 114-to-117, great, but what I'm guessing is more likely is 120-121 to go back to back with our 122)

And our early 6th (175) and 7th (219).

Leaving us with one heck of a Day 3...

4 picks like most other teams... but instead of our normal haul of one late pick in each round, we have 2 x Mid-4ths, and early Rd 6th and 7th.

Thoughts??

4 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Oh, and I am 'calling my shot'...

Colbert trades 141, 192, and 207, for a mid-4th, leaving us with:

2 x 4ths (if they can get one...from 114-to-117, great, but what I'm guessing is more likely is 120-121 to go back to back with our 122)

And our early 6th (175) and 7th (219).

Leaving us with one heck of a Day 3...

4 picks like most other teams... but instead of our normal haul of one late pick in each round, we have 2 x Mid-4ths, and early Rd 6th and 7th.

Thoughts??

All for it.

Massive depth issues at S and TE, plus them wanting to try to upgrade STs.,.

These 4th and 5rg rd guys are still important...just look at jaylen Samuels.

Archived