Overwatch

cddolphin

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

I actually dislike tanks in general.  I'm glad they're adding more DPS characters.  Tanks slow the pace of the game down and make certain characters nonviable depending on how much shield tanks are used.

how do I dislike this? 

There are so many DPS that it's not at all possible for them to all be relevant all the time. A lot of DPS weren't viable during dive Meta (still my favorite meta even as a tank player)

Just now, Danger said:

how do I dislike this? 

There are so many DPS that it's not at all possible for them to all be relevant all the time. A lot of DPS weren't viable during dive Meta (still my favorite meta even as a tank player)

I don't care about this game in a competitive sense anymore.  I've been in Masters most of the seasons I've played and it's meaningless.  I just play the game for fun now.  I'm a support main (mostly Ana), but I don't play her anymore.  I spend a lot of time playing McCree and it's so annoying to play against an Orisa who is constantly spamming her shield.  Double shield metas with a Brigitte.  Makes the game so much less fun. 

I agree that dive was a fun time because there were less Reins and no Orisa

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't care about this game in a competitive sense anymore.  I've been in Masters most of the seasons I've played and it's meaningless.  I just play the game for fun now.  I'm a support main (mostly Ana), but I don't play her anymore.  I spend a lot of time playing McCree and it's so annoying to play against an Orisa who is constantly spamming her shield.  Double shield metas with a Brigitte.  Makes the game so much less fun. 

I agree that dive was a fun time because there were less Reins and no Orisa

nobody plays Orisa.

Here's something I posted in a different thread.  Maybe posting it here will get more of a response.  Mossburg said he liked the idea a lot.  What do you all think?

This game is based heavily off of Team Fortress 2.  You can tell by how the game plays and how the characters are designed, but also because the developers have openly said it.  Because of this, I would really enjoy if they took an aspect of TF2 and implemented into Overwatch - change the way characters play.  In TF2, there are only 9 classes and the game has stayed fresh for over a decade because new weapons are constantly introduced into the game that completely alter the way a character plays.

An example of this in Overwatch would be Mercy.  Give her a healing beam that is totally different than the one she has now.  Introduce a new healing beam that can overheal character (if a characters max health is 200, Mercy can buff them to 250 if her beam is on them while they're at max health.  Let her ultimate be 8 seconds of 100% invulnerability for Mercy and the character she is healing.  The downsides to this healing beam would be that it has a slower healing rate and that it does not have the option to buff damage.  She also would not be able to fly around the map.

This would be a great healing beam in certain situations with certain comps, but a bad healing beam in a different situation.  They could literally do the same thing with every characters weapons in the game.  Give Widow different types of sniper rifles that have different advantages and disadvantages.  This change would be huge for the game and would not require them to constantly release a brand new character to heavily change the game.

They could also offer different abilities for each character.  In Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch characters are in that game and they all have two ultimate abilities to choose from.  For example, Lucio has his normal ultimate, but he also has the option to choose a different ultimate.  His other ultimate is the same area of effect concept as his normal ult, but instead of giving teammates a shield, it damages enemies in an area every second while it is active.  That completely changes the way Lucio plays - it makes him more of an offensive character instead of a defensive one.  He's still a support because he is a healer/speed boost, but it gives him a new way to play.

All of them can be selected by the user at the beginning of the match.  Allow weapons to be switched out during the game, at the cost of losing all of your ultimate charge.  Let ultimate's be selected before each round depending on how the person wants to play with the character.

These changes would make the game feel fresh and brand new.

It's not too radical an idea though the proposed Mercy seems kinda broken.

I once thought of something as different abilities that have to be 'Slot' in place like Perks in other shooters. Or even two version of the characters to flip between with slight adjustments to make gameplay different. 

When it comes to balance, it really comes down to number breakpoints. Whether it hits or misses those breakpoints are usually what determines what is strong or not and playstyle does not matter. For example, if a Widowmaker full charged headshot only did 199 damage. She would be TERRIBLE. But you bump that damage up 1 to 200 and all of a sudden she is more playable. So with the Mercy example, the new Mercy would be used if the new Ult is OP or if the healing beam is still fast enough that the old mercy would be obsolete. In the end, competitive players will look for what's optimal and learn how to play that, even if their style is different. Now for casual, this would probably be more fun, but the competitive scene dictates ALOT of what happens in casual play even if individual skill matters more than meta at the lower levels. League of Legends tried to implement a system to encourage playstyle differences in the form of "keystones and runes", but in the end, most champions just worked the best with one of them. I'm not caught up in how HotS does, but if I had to guess, the only time where choices are equal is when both choices are just minor changes. 

So in my opinion, there will be a few outlying successes, but a majority of styles will just favor one over the other. You just would NEVER see one team run one mercy and the other team run the other mercy unless it is some kind of pocket strategy. So it would add a bunch of new dynamics, but it probably won't create the type of situations you are thinking of. If you play Lucio with a damaging ult, you are doing it because it is the stronger choice or you are playing suboptimally to play the style you want. Theoretically, it doesn't really hurt anything, but that is basically doubling the number of heroes in the game and it might not make as big of an impact as you may think. So would Blizzard be willing to do it? I doubt it, I think they'd rather just make new heroes which will accomplish a similar goal anyways. One could argue Brig is like a tankier Lucio with the ult being the aura heal/move.

• 2 weeks later...