With the 18th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Garrett Bradbury, C - NC State

SemperFeist

Bradbury was the third offensive linemen selected in the first round. The others went at picks No. 11 and 14, leaving the Vikings hoping and waiting Bradbury was still there at the 18th spot.

Zimmer: “Well, we were nervous. As it came down in there, we were getting down, and obviously you’ve got a pecking order and some guys that you like, but we were sweating it out there at the end, yeah.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/bradbury-s-athleticism-mobility-perfect-fit-for-vikings-o-line

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Bradbury didn’t allow a single QB pressure last year. Enough said.

Where did you see that?

PFF charged Bradbury with 2 sacks, 1 hit and 10 hurries allowed last year. That’s a good but not great pass block efficiency (though PBE for centers isn’t very useful as their scheme/competition can have a big effect). 

I like the pick and the player but would’ve preferred Dillard at 18 based on positional value. They could’ve added Jenkins, McCoy or a guard in round 2.

Their long term situation at tackle is a concern (Reiff is OK but they need to move on from him next year) and Dillard seems like a great long term fit as a bookend opposite O’Neill. 

Meanwhile drafting Bradbury forces Elflein back to LG. Yes he played there in college but his struggles vs power at C in the NFL don’t bode well for him improving in making a positional change that will force him to pass block DTs 1v1 more often, not less.

I’d rather have drafted a guard on day 2, given Elflein his 3rd year at C to try to turn his career around, and had Dillard waiting in the wings to take over from Reiff as the starting LT in 2020. 

• Like 1

Reactions and analysis...

PFF: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pffs-live-analysis-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

Minnesota Vikings – C Garrett Bradbury, NC State

Our No. 41 overall prospect, Bradbury fits a major need on Minnesota’s offensive line. While we may view him as a reach so early in the draft, the pick is not a huge surprise considering Minnesota’s multiple critical holes along the offensive line.

82.9 overall grade ranked seventh among all offensive linemen in the class.

Earned the eighth-highest pass-blocking grade among draft-eligible centers.

Earned the fifth-highest run-blocking grade among all offensive linemen in the class.

Allowed just 10 total QB hits and sacks on 1,513 total pass-blocking snaps in his career.

Mike Tanier at Bleacher Report: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833151-nfl-draft-2019-round-1-grades-for-every-pick#slide18

Garrett Bradbury, Center, North Carolina State

Strengths: Quickness, experience

Weaknesses: Power

Bradbury began his college career at tight end before he (briefly) moved to the defensive line and finally settled at center for the Wolfpack, with whom he won the Rimington Trophy as the nation’s top center during his senior season. 

Bradbury is quick-footed, moves well laterally and is nimble when readjusting to strike a second-level defender or blitzer. He verified his athleticism with an excellent combine. On the downside, he’s more likely to get rocked back by his defender than rock him, and he lunges and ends up on the ground too often. 

A starter for several seasons at guard and center who has blocked for a variety of NFL players and prospects (quarterback Ryan Finley, running backs Nyheim Hines and Jaylen Samuels), Bradbury is experienced and dependable. He will quickly develop into a capable NFL starter. The crippling ennui of Vikings football aside, this is a fine pick.

Grade: A-

Daniel Jeremiah at NFL.com

Well done. This is the best center in the draft and one of the best to come out in the last few years. He is outstanding with his quickness; the quickness is off the charts. Kirk Cousins has to be very happy with this pick. He'll give a little bit of ground against power; he's not the biggest guy, but he has great ability to recover. He's going to start right away. 

Danny Kelly at The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/4/25/18516426/nfl-draft-first-round-grades-2019-kyler-murray-nick-bosa

18. Minnesota Vikings: C Garrett Bradbury, NC State

Center is a crucial cog for zone blocking offenses, and the Vikings grab my top-rated player at that position here. Bradbury has quick feet and other-worldly balance, and his innate ability to reach and seal play-side defensive tackles on runs could be the spark that Mike Zimmer needs to ignite the team’s disappointing ground game. The first-team All-American and winner of the Rimington Trophy (as the nation’s top center) is strong in pass protection, plays with an edge, and should be a plug-and-play starter at either center or guard. 

GRADE: A

Andy Benoit at SI.com: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/25/nfl-draft-2019-first-round-grades-analysis-news

18. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: C GARRETT BRADBURY

Mike Zimmer wants to run the ball and last year’s fired offensive coordinator, John DeFilippo, felt they couldn’t because of shoddy guards. Those guards, Mike Remmers and Tom Compton, are gone. But their replacements, Danny Isidora and Josh Kline, are not much better. Bradbury can take over one of their spots or play his college position at center, moving Pat Elflein to guard. However it shakes out, this is case of player and need meeting together perfectly. New offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski wants to employ an outside-zone scheme to fit Kirk Cousins, who is at his best throwing play-action off those outside zone looks. Bradbury is viewed unequivocally as the best outside zone blocking interior lineman in this draft.

GRADE: A+

I'm just so damn happy with this pick.

I think this kid can be the next Matt Birk for us and command center for the next decade. I think Elf will be fine at LG (prefer him MUCH more than Reiff at the position) and I'd be ecstatic if we can get one more guard for the right side.

Reiff, Elf, Bradbury, ???, O'Neill

Now, I know the line isn't going to go from terrible to great right off the bat but we're not far off. I think we'll all be happy with even above-average in 2019.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm just so damn happy with this pick.

I think this kid can be the next Matt Birk for us and command center for the next decade. I think Elf will be fine at LG (prefer him MUCH more than Reiff at the position) and I'd be ecstatic if we can get one more guard for the right side.

Reiff, Elf, Bradbury, ???, O'Neill

Now, I know the line isn't going to go from terrible to great right off the bat but we're not far off. I think we'll all be happy with even above-average in 2019.

Agree it'll be better to move Elflein to LG than Reiff.

Josh Kline's contract means he's going to be on the team for at least 2 years (would cost $4.5M dead cap to release him in 2020, saving only $1.6M). He's the starting RG this year and probably next. 

They could use another depth/developmental guard, but that'll probably be a late round pick. I don't think they'll invest much on a player who'd have to beat out Elflein or Kline to start before 2021. Not entirely confident that Elflein will keep his job as a starter for 2 more years if he ends up moving to guard, but even if he does get replaced, I don't think they'll make an another major investment at IOL until next year. 

I'd like to see them draft a developmental tackle, if someone with upside falls to them on day 3. Edoga is my favorite from what little research I've done. 

OL  depth chart right now probably looks like this:

Starters: Reiff - Elflein - Bradbury - Kline - O'Neill
Depth: Hill (T),  Isidora (G), Jones (C/G)
Bubble / PS: Dozier (G), Norton (T), Collins (G/T),  Edison (C)

They usually keep 9 OL so there's room for one of those bubble guys or a developmental rookie draft pick / UDFA. 

12 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Josh Kline's contract means he's going to be on the team for at least 2 years (would cost $4.5M dead cap to release him in 2020, saving only $1.6M). He's the starting RG this year and probably next. 

Good lord....I already forgot about Josh Kline!

Yes, he's for sure the starter.

Now, I wouldn't mind a couple projects at T & G (tackle with the priority) to groom for when/if Kline/Reiff/Elf need to be replaced (like you said).

Now give me Irv Smith, Parris Campbell, and a DL to go with those depth T & G's and I'll be happy.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
Spelled Parris wrong.

6 hours ago, Krauser said:

Where did you see that?

PFF charged Bradbury with 2 sacks, 1 hit and 10 hurries allowed last year. That’s a good but not great pass block efficiency (though PBE for centers isn’t very useful as their scheme/competition can have a big effect). 

I like the pick and the player but would’ve preferred Dillard at 18 based on positional value. They could’ve added Jenkins, McCoy or a guard in round 2.

Their long term situation at tackle is a concern (Reiff is OK but they need to move on from him next year) and Dillard seems like a great long term fit as a bookend opposite O’Neill. 

Meanwhile drafting Bradbury forces Elflein back to LG. Yes he played there in college but his struggles vs power at C in the NFL don’t bode well for him improving in making a positional change that will force him to pass block DTs 1v1 more often, not less.

I’d rather have drafted a guard on day 2, given Elflein his 3rd year at C to try to turn his career around, and had Dillard waiting in the wings to take over from Reiff as the starting LT in 2020. 

Yeah it is not a wow pick that is for sure, it is an assumed safe pick for a 'zone blocking system'.  Taylor from Florida has way more upside, so does Ford and Dillard for that matter.  Bradbury is safe where these is bust potential for those guys I suppose.  Wish we were not stuck with Reiff and O'Neill at tackle, because the tackles are better players arguably in terms of upside.  

I think Bradbury could get pushed around at times, Bradbury could be what a John Sullivan type center and he was a 6th round pick.  I do not see Bradbury as a pro bowler consistently but will see what happens, never was a huge fan of Sullivan either based on size at least Bradbury is a little bigger and more athletic.  Will see if Elflein can even play guard that well but I agree he struggled at center and especially did this past season but yeah the move will make him pass block more not less.

They could have stole Simmons at that point, or Sweat I would not have minded that and they are better prospects arguably.  Filled a need though, did not go crazy with it but hopefully it helps.  2nd round got ton of talent around, I would like Zach Allen to be honest or Ford / Taylor if they fall which I doubt.  Hell Risner could be there and he could be a great get, that is crazy he is falling, that kid can play and is a solid OL talent and has done it for a very long time.  Just because Lindstrom and Bradbury had a burner 40 times they get picked over a guy like Risner, kind of seems that way.  Risner was better at a harder position and could be great at guard and would look just as good as Lindstrom I think if moved to guard potentially.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah it is not a wow pick that is for sure, it is an assumed safe pick for a 'zone blocking system'.  Taylor from Florida has way more upside, so does Ford and Dillard for that matter.  Bradbury is safe where these is bust potential for those guys I suppose.  Wish we were not stuck with Reiff and O'Neill at tackle, because the tackles are better players arguably in terms of upside.  

I think Bradbury could get pushed around at times, Bradbury could be what a John Sullivan type center and he was a 6th round pick.  I do not see Bradbury as a pro bowler consistently but will see what happens, never was a huge fan of Sullivan either based on size at least Bradbury is a little bigger and more athletic.  Will see if Elflein can even play guard that well but I agree he struggled at center and especially did this past season but yeah the move will make him pass block more not less.

They could have stole Simmons at that point, or Sweat I would not have minded that and they are better prospects arguably.  Filled a need though, did not go crazy with it but hopefully it helps.  2nd round got ton of talent around, I would like Zach Allen to be honest or Ford / Taylor if they fall which I doubt.  Hell Risner could be there and he could be a great get, that is crazy he is falling, that kid can play and is a solid OL talent and has done it for a very long time.  Just because Lindstrom and Bradbury had a burner 40 times they get picked over a guy like Risner, kind of seems that way.  Risner was better at a harder position and could be great at guard and would look just as good as Lindstrom I think if moved to guard potentially.  

Taylor has a knee problem, I think he's off a lot of boards.

O'Neill looks like he's going to be very good, it's not a bad thing to be stuck with him. I agree they should upgrade from Reiff. I was hoping they'd take Dillard.

Bradbury's an elite athlete. He has amazing quickness and power on reach blocks. Agree it would've been be nice to find a mobile C later in the draft. But there are worse things than drafting an Alex Mack in the first round, especially for a wide zone team (like Mack on the Falcons under Shanahan). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Bradbury didn’t allow a single QB pressure last year. Enough said.

I seem to recall a certain former Vikings 1st rd LT who had the same distinction. I think this one will pan out much better, though.

ETA: Now that I'm thinking about it, the stat was "sacks," not "pressures."

Edited by Sir Fobos

8 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Taylor has a knee problem, I think he's off a lot of boards.

O'Neill looks like he's going to be very good, it's not a bad thing to be stuck with him. I agree they should upgrade from Reiff. I was hoping they'd take Dillard.

Bradbury's an elite athlete. He has amazing quickness and power on reach blocks. Agree it would've been be nice to find a mobile C later in the draft. But there are worse things than drafting an Alex Mack in the first round, especially for a wide zone team (like Mack on the Falcons under Shanahan). 

O'Neill is ok, I would not call him very good just yet.  Solid for a 2nd rounder but he still has to prove a lot.  To me Alex Mack was a far better player at center and tougher at the point of attack than Bradbury is.  Hopefully it works out though. 

Taylor have health issues?  He started as a FR, SOPH and JR.  He kid is a high level talent, sure a little raw but has a ton of upside and is a giant man.  Clearly does not fit the 'system' they are going for but OL is not all about a good 40 time.  Taylor can move people very similar to Trenton Brown on New England who just go the massive contract.  He has heavy hands and is a damn good athlete in space considering his massive size.  But sure there is bust potential with him a little bit and before all of this I had him more a 2nd rounder anyway but still tons of upside and again to me the tackles there are better prospects than Bradbury at center.