2019 NFL Draft Day 2 Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

12 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

I think the pick is going to be Irv Smith if he is there or a DB they are surprised is still on the board. I believe they will look to trade down and get a 4th back eventually.

Two guys that I heard a lot about early on in the College season and just didnt see the "special" in were Irv Smith and Mack Wilson. I guess I would be fine with them after all Im at work getting paid to do a job that has nothing to do with football or any sport for that matter. For Wilson I was kind of thinking he was a plus player but in the clemson game he looked slow all day. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

we don't need OL that much IMO. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see it undrafted. 

Definitely not a big 2019 need. I'm fine waiting until Day 3 to take a flier on a prospect. Use these higher rounds to get some skilled players. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Definitely not a big 2019 need. I'm fine waiting until Day 3 to take a flier on a prospect. Use these higher rounds to get some skilled players. 

It might not be a big need, but in terms of value if it's there you take it.  Right now, we've got Dalton Risner, Greg Little, Max Scharping, and Erik McCoy as potential Day 2 picks that fit for the Packers.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Looking at who is left today, I really like Parris Campbell's speed out of the slot position, but I doubt he lasts to #12. Question for the board: What would it cost to move up to get him, and do you think it would be worth it, i.e., are there others who could provide that kind of speed out of the slot position? Or am I wrong about him not lasting to #12?

Packers have made their big move up. Close to zero chance they go up again in round 2. Much more likely is that they go down there, to regain a 4th rounder. I wouldn't be getting that excited over Parris anyway, his hands aren't great and neither are his routes. He is a typical speed freak WR. Hakeem Butler has the great height, enough weight and decent speed (4.48) for his size, hands are similar to Parris's. Arcega-Whiteside is slower, wins with power and has better hands. D.K.Metcalf is another bully, but with good speed to go with it, good luck trying to press him - limited route tree in college -  I wonder if he could be similar to Sterling Sharpe (was not meant to be a comment on the neck injury, but realised it might be taken that way after typing). I'd prefer the slower, but more polished Deebo, or Metcalf if the neck checks out ok, over Parris, but there are some guys (besides yourself) who like Parris a lot.

OT prospects look like J.Taylor (knee would have to pass inspection), Cody Ford (not a great fit for the Packers, imo) or Little in round 2. I'm not convinced guys like Scharping and Cajuste fit what the Packers do, but Dave Edwards might be there in the 3rd, and he does. 

TE Irv Smith fits a need and the value at #44 is about right, and you could wait until #75 for one of Sternberger/Oliver, or the green but talented Knox (who I like). I'd also be good with Foster Moreau as a TE2, if he was there in the 5th (Packers have lost their 4ths), he fits the outside zone blocking mold.

I don't see an edge type like Nelson, Banogu, Winovich, Miller, not once Gary was taken, it isn't impossible but it's about as likely as the Packers taking another safety like Adderley, CGJ, Thornhill.

RB will be addressed at some time. I'm guessing it will be round 5 onwards.

6 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Two guys that I heard a lot about early on in the College season and just didnt see the "special" in were Irv Smith and Mack Wilson. I guess I would be fine with them after all Im at work getting paid to do a job that has nothing to do with football or any sport for that matter. For Wilson I was kind of thinking he was a plus player but in the clemson game he looked slow all day. 

I do not think Smith is special - which is why he was not a first round pick. What Smith is, IMO, is a tough, gritty player that has shown he knows how to run routes and has NFL bloodlines. That is why I think he might be a strong consideration for the Pack at 44 unless someone they have rated much higher is surprisingly still available for them.

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

Packers have made their big move up. Close to zero chance they go up again in round 2. Much more likely is that they go down there, to regain a 4th rounder. I wouldn't be getting that excited over Parris anyway, his hands aren't great and neither are his routes. He is a typical speed freak WR. Hakeem Butler has the great height, enough weight and decent speed (4.48) for his size, hands are similar to Parris's. Arcega-Whiteside is slower, wins with power and has better hands. D.K.Metcalf is another bully, but with good speed to go with it, good luck trying to press him - limited route tree in college -  I wonder if he could be another Sterling Sharpe (was not meant to be a comment on the neck injury, but realised it might be taken that way after typing). I'd prefer the slower, but more polished Deebo, or Metcalf if the neck checks out ok, over Parris, but there are some guys (besides yourself) who like him a lot.

Definitely feel Terry McLaurin is the more likely Buckeye selection if we're going WR.  Part of me wants to have a who gives an F pick and take Metcalf if he's there.  Worst case, he busts out and we're out a WR in a few years.  Best case, you're getting a poor man's Calvin Johnson.  Guys like Deebo Samuel probably have a higher floor, but not nearly the upside there.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

OT prospects look like J.Taylor (knee would have to pass inspection), Cody Ford (not a great fit for the Packers, imo) or Little in round 2. I'm not convinced guys like Scharping and Cajuste fit what the Packers do, but Dave Edwards might be there in the 3rd, and he does. 

Don't forget Risner.  If he's there at 44, I'd be surprised if they passed on him.  But then again, I thought they were trading up for Dillard.  Scharping in the 3rd round would be the bees knees.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

TE Irv Smith fits a need and the value at #44 is about right, and you could wait until #75 for one of Sternberger/Oliver, or the green but talented Knox (who I like). I'd also be good with Foster Moreau as a TE2, if he was there in the 5th (Packers have lost their 4ths), he fits the outside zone blocking mold.

Not a huge fan of Irv Smith.  Seems to be one of those good, but not great FB/TE hybrids.  I'd rather throw multiple picks at the TE position on guys like Sternberger/Warring/Knox/Moreau than take Irv Smith at 44.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

It might not be a big need, but in terms of value if it's there you take it.  Right now, we've got Dalton Risner, Greg Little, Max Scharping, and Erik McCoy as potential Day 2 picks that fit for the Packers.

Sure, OL wouldn't disappoint me. I do want a WR on Day 2 though. Biggest priority for me even though I know some don't see it that way. 

55 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

“Defense is loaded with young talent!”  Been a long time since I heard a remark like that.

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A ton of that you've talent is on 2nd contracts though

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A ton of that you've talent is on 2nd contracts though

Actually only Daniels, the Smiths and Amos are on their 2nd contracts, many are coming up to their 2nd contracts

Just now, packfanfb said:

Sure, OL wouldn't disappoint me. I do want a WR on Day 2 though. Biggest priority for me even though I know some don't see it that way. 

Do we need a WR?  No.  I don't see any particular position and say I need to address that.  You've got WR, TE, and OL that are probably in that next tier.  I think you could argue DL, ILB, or CB could be on a similar tier.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't forget Risner.  If he's there at 44, I'd be surprised if they passed on him.  But then again, I thought they were trading up for Dillard.  Scharping in the 3rd round would be the bees knees.

I realised I'd left him out and added him in, before realising you had commented on it.

Archived