Lions Select LB Jahlani Tavai #43 Overall

davisblack

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

San Jose State AND San Diego State both had big TE's that were drafted guys in Oliver and Warring. I'm not saying that this is the SEC but there are some good players that come out of the Mountain West. Usually the roster has less talent and so the more talented guys have to do a lot more of the heavy lifting.

The Lions saw what they wanted to see on tape and it sounds like they weren't the only ones who were ready to take him in round 2. This is the same reaction I would say 95% had when it came to the Golladay pick. Neither guy had these incredible athletic numbers that popped off the chart. They fit the profile of what they wanted and they knew that some other teams were very interested in the player and he wouldn't be available when they had their next pick.

Are you answering anything...

This is not about knowing the guy....for the 5th time... I know him. And again I knew golladay too...go back and look at that. Thread..

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

You're suggesting that we reached for him. The media sources have said that he wouldn't have been there in round 3. Miami is looking to run a similar defense with Flores there. The Patriots were picking two spots after us (took Joejuan Williams there). Patriots and Dolphins both had picks before us in round 3. So there were at least 3 opportunities between 2 other teams to take "their guy". So far, I can't find another guy that fits the profile in 2020. Some guys are close but not quite there yet.

I don't give a rat's *** if he woulda been there or not... plenty of talent was there.. this is not someone I'm concerned about missing out on enough to reach

And there's nothing to his game that warrants it.. 

• Like 1

We coulda got a potential 1000yd wr

A cb of the future

Or an actually passrusher...

An upgrade to what was a pretty bad ol that hasn't changed....

Yet we take a thumping lb with a busted shoulder.. 

I mean this guy better play everywhere and he better show the stats and I'm not just talking tackles...

This imo is a wasted pick alone just on position..

Then you see other lbs taken way later that could do the same.. value is not there oooor he sees something really special so I'm expecting dbl digit sacks and handful of ints

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Are you answering anything...

This is not about knowing the guy....for the 5th time... I know him. And again I knew golladay too...go back and look at that. Thread..

Well the Lions and Patriots and Dolphins all liked him. So we'll see how it plays out when he's on the field.

I saw some of the things they were discussing about him on tape (multiple positions, rushing passer, dropping into coverage, etc.). I'm not a professional scout by any means but he was lined up all over the place in the tape that I watched.

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Well the Lions and Patriots and Dolphins all liked him. So we'll see how it plays out when he's on the field.

I saw some of the things they were discussing about him on tape (multiple positions, rushing passer, dropping into coverage, etc.). I'm not a professional scout by any means but he was lined up all over the place in the tape that I watched.

You can link literary anyone... with another team... idc to hear that bs

I'm not seeing the reason to reach are you?

Two teams with bigger needs...

I sure am expecting big stats tho......

5 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

We coulda got a potential 1000yd wr

A cb of the future

Or an actually passrusher...

An upgrade to what was a pretty bad ol that hasn't changed....

Yet we take a thumping lb with a busted shoulder.. 

I mean this guy better play everywhere and he better show the stats and I'm not just talking tackles...

This imo is a wasted pick alone just on position..

Then you see other lbs taken way later that could do the same.. value is not there oooor he sees something really special so I'm expecting dbl digit sacks and handful of ints

CB - They didn't like Greedy Williams, otherwise he would have been the pick there. He's a bit on the leaner side and doesn't like to tackle.

OL - The best OL available in that spot were two OC's (and we already have Glasgow at the position and Ragnow, who might be a better fit there than OG) and a RT. Like it or not but it seems like we're stuck with Wagner for at least another season.

WR - I really liked AJ Brown. I guess the argument could be made that there wasn't going to be a spot for someone like him, especially that high. They want to run more 12 personnel formations and run the ball more than in years past. So we'll see less of a third WR on the field compared to a second TE. They obviously like Golladay and would like to see a healthy Marvin Jones bounce back. They added Amendola into the mix. From a personnel perspective, they seem to be ok with this grouping and with the addition of Fulgham.

It's possible that they're going to move Tavai to the middle more and then put Davis outside. It might not be Tavai that puts up the numbers but he has that impact on Davis and/or Kennard.

2 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

You can link literary anyone... with another team... idc to hear that bs

I'm not seeing the reason to reach are you?

Two teams with bigger needs...

I sure am expecting big stats tho...…

The Raiders picked Clelin Ferrell. A couple of the guys that I really like to listen to, like Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks, were talking about how he was one of a few pure 4-3 DE's in the draft. That's the type of player they wanted and they took a guy who was a high floor, solid character player that fit their scheme. Josh Allen could go on and have a HOF career with the Jags or he could wind up as a bust. Sometimes teams don't take the best players because they aren't the fits for their scheme.

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

CB - They didn't like Greedy Williams, otherwise he would have been the pick there. He's a bit on the leaner side and doesn't like to tackle.

OL - The best OL available in that spot were two OC's (and we already have Glasgow at the position and Ragnow, who might be a better fit there than OG) and a RT. Like it or not but it seems like we're stuck with Wagner for at least another season.

WR - I really liked AJ Brown. I guess the argument could be made that there wasn't going to be a spot for someone like him, especially that high. They want to run more 12 personnel formations and run the ball more than in years past. So we'll see less of a third WR on the field compared to a second TE. They obviously like Golladay and would like to see a healthy Marvin Jones bounce back. They added Amendola into the mix. From a personnel perspective, they seem to be ok with this grouping and with the addition of Fulgham.

It's possible that they're going to move Tavai to the middle more and then put Davis outside. It might not be Tavai that puts up the numbers but he has that impact on Davis and/or Kennard.

No room for brown...i bet Jones isn't even on the team next yr

Idk what ol your thinking I'd rather go that route than lb.. ol looks like the biggest weakness.. Imo if your gonna reach it's here..million dollars qb and often injured rb

A lot of cbs great cbs come out of college not great tackers... dion sanders is king imo...

All better picks at bigger position of importance and need

2 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

No room for brown...i bet Jones isn't even on the team next yr

Idk what ol your thinking I'd rather go that route than lb.. ol looks like the biggest weakness.. Imo if your gonna reach it's here..million dollars qb and often injured rb

A lot of cbs great cbs come out of college not great tackers... dion sanders is king imo...

All better picks at bigger position of importance and need

Amendola likely won't be. Jones is a 50/50 chance.

If you look at the OL guys drafted behind Tavai: Elgton Jenkins, Eric McCoy and Max Scharping. Jenkins and McCoy are OC's while Scharping is a RT.

You could be right about the CB's but this is what the team wants.... they want a guy that will tackle. It is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 11:37 AM, Karnage84 said:

Amendola likely won't be. Jones is a 50/50 chance.

If you look at the OL guys drafted behind Tavai: Elgton Jenkins, Eric McCoy and Max Scharping. Jenkins and McCoy are OC's while Scharping is a RT.

You could be right about the CB's but this is what the team wants.... they want a guy that will tackle. It is what it is.

All that being true, That doesn't mean you couldn't kick, Scharping especially, inside. I would of been pretty cool with Max Scharping on the inside next to Wagner.

Like you say though it is what it is at this point. 

Edited by SimbaWho

12 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Does ne move their lbs around??

Not sure why I read for three pages of you two back and forth... However one thing is abundantly clear, you two got to just agree to disagree. One chooses the glass half full and the other half glass empty. Both thought processes have merits. 

I tend to be a glass half full guy myself, manifest destiny. The more of us that think positively about the Lions (in all aspects) the more likely we are to see them succeed. We always get back from the Universe based on our initial thoughts. If we constantly think negatively, negative things happen. Law of attraction.  

That said, we all have seen a ton of losing and bone head decisions. So much so that seeing the glass half empty is all we got until they prove otherwise. If the kid ends up sucking, I will be right here with ya :)

For what it is worth Gil "freaking" Brandt has us rated #4 off season in all the NFL. That is a strong vote of confidence I would say. 

Edited by BarryTheBest

12 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

Not sure why I read for three pages of you two back and forth... However one thing is abundantly clear, you two got to just agree to disagree. One chooses the glass half full and the other half glass empty. Both thought processes have merits. 

I tend to be a glass half full guy myself, manifest destiny. The more of us that think positively about the Lions (in all aspects) the more likely we are to see them succeed. We always get back from the Universe based on our initial thoughts. If we constantly think negatively, negative things happen. Law of attraction.  

That said, we all have seen a ton of losing and bone head decisions. So much so that seeing the glass half empty is all we got until they prove otherwise. If the kid ends up sucking, I will be right here with ya :)

For what it is worth Gil "freaking" Brandt has us rated #4 off season in all the NFL. That is a strong vote of confidence I would say. 

Negative ya we don't have the right? We can't debate prospects without being negative? I think my glass overflows...

What is gil brandt credited for?? What's his claim to fame...

28 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Negative ya we don't have the right? We can't debate prospects without being negative? I think my glass overflows...

What is gil brandt credited for?? What's his claim to fame...

You mean 2 x SB Winner and Pro Football HOF member Gil Brandt? That nobody?