Lions Select LB Jahlani Tavai #43 Overall

davisblack

On 4/27/2019 at 11:32 AM, Nazgul said:

You're all debbie downers.
Let's give these players a chance before we run them out of Detroit like we do every single year.

Maybe the Lions just take ****ty players... often...

Idk if this kid will or won't be, I hope he's not. But I've got my feelings and just because the LIONS took him doesn't change what I think. When have the Lions been right on guys like this anyways? Ever time in my life time we do something like this.... ikaika alama-francis/ Jordan Dizon ish... if you ask me. (Not that anyone is).

Edited by SimbaWho

Just now, SimbaWho said:

Or maybe you're a pessimist and only dislike the pick because you have no ******* idea who Tavai is.
Which in turns makes your "****ty pick" prognosis more of a "****ty armchair quarterback" assessment. 

1 minute ago, Nazgul said:

Or maybe you're a pessimist and only dislike the pick because you have no ******* idea who Tavai is.
Which in turns makes your "****ty pick" prognosis more of a "****ty armchair quarterback" assessment. 

Lol no, I'm calling it out before he even plays a down, and I can call out the player i'd of selected instead. 

On 4/27/2019 at 9:53 AM, detroitroar said:

Well, after watching him some, he can really get off blocks with those long arms. 

He's an effective blitzer.

Play speed is good enough.

Seems to struggle some in zone coverage....then again his teammates didnt help much.

He is absolutely a high motor guy who is focused and gives his all on every play.

Heres hoping for the best

An, well I agree with you, hoping for the best.

Do you ever wonder if he looks good because he's the best player among the bunch of just... College players. Barely any linemen, etc, are going to the NFL that he plays against. His level of competition isn't even practice squad material... idk. I mean I get guys come out of no where all the time, I've been watching drafts/football for ever like most here. I'm just really warry when it's the Lions that pick a guy like this and seem or attempt to look like the smartest guys in the room. I don't really ever remember a guy that was considered a "reach" at the time of draft working out really well for the Lions. 

I smh. All's I hope is that he's something like IDOG suggests. I don't think he's that great, and to pass up the DB's we did, IDK, more than just Coleman in the FA's we signed has to work out for me to be ok with passing on Greedy Williams/Rapp. I think it's a big deal passing on those two guys. If you have to ask me I'd of taken Oliver/Williams/Lane in rounds 1/2/3. Given my defensive coach some of the best tools to work with, and looked later in the draft to develop/get offensive help/weapons. 

I don't think Oliver is Donald 2.0 but idk... something like Tommie Harris, which I think would of been fine next to Flowers/Harrison

Edited by SimbaWho

12 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Idk if this kid will or won't be, I hope he's not. But I've got my feelings and just because the LIONS took him doesn't change what I think. When have the Lions been right on guys like this anyways? Ever time in my life time we do something like this.... ikaika alama-francis/ Jordan Dizon ish... if you ask me. (Not that anyone is).

If it was the same people making those selections then I'd say you could be onto something. The bulk of the organization is very different from that time, which was a part of the major step back last year. Quinn and Patricia are trying to rebuild the entire organization's culture from the ground up. Only time will tell if it's going to work but they are trying to bring a different way of doings things than what we've done before in the past. Hock and Oliver will be getting the same Ebron/Donald comparisons.... maybe it'll work out for us this time, maybe it'll be a repeat. Hock and Ebron are different players and the team is looking for something different from the position.

They also have something in particular that they want from the LB position. They aren't just competing with the Patriots for those types of guys. They took him when they felt that they had to and addressed a need on the team.

On 2019-05-03 at 7:57 PM, SimbaWho said:

Given the teams record the past 50 years that’s a safe bet.

4 hours ago, GetDownandDirty said:

Shannon Sharpe, Bo Jackson, Terrell Davis, Adalius Thomas, Robert Mathis Brent Celek, Kam Chancellor, Trent Cole, Richard Sherman, Antonio Brown. Just a small group of 5th round or  later talent over looked in the 1st four rounds. Don’t judge until they play!

Bo Jackson was originally the first pick in the 1986 draft buddy. He wasn’t overlooked. 

On 5/4/2019 at 8:54 AM, Karnage84 said:

If it was the same people making those selections then I'd say you could be onto something. The bulk of the organization is very different from that time, which was a part of the major step back last year. Quinn and Patricia are trying to rebuild the entire organization's culture from the ground up. Only time will tell if it's going to work but they are trying to bring a different way of doings things than what we've done before in the past. Hock and Oliver will be getting the same Ebron/Donald comparisons.... maybe it'll work out for us this time, maybe it'll be a repeat. Hock and Ebron are different players and the team is looking for something different from the position.

They also have something in particular that they want from the LB position. They aren't just competing with the Patriots for those types of guys. They took him when they felt that they had to and addressed a need on the team.

What's the particular

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

What's the particular

240-250 lbs, thick bodied, long arms, position versatile, experience in coverage and rushing the passer. Quinn has discussed this a couple times when discussing Tavai as the pick.