Star Wars episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Breesus mode

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

I hate when I see reminders that this is coming out soon.  Whenever you're reminded about a release date, it's like looking at the clock at work and the clock never moves when you're looking at it. 

Right? I'm soooooo excited for this, I love Star Wars, and I can't wait to see what they do with Luke

Just now, Breesus mode said:

Right? I'm soooooo excited for this, I love Star Wars, and I can't wait to see what they do with Luke

I feel like it's an obvious choice to kill Luke, but I hope they don't.  Mark Hamill has carried on the heart and soul of Star Wars for three decades.  He's never once shown animosity towards how the first trilogy shaped his life, and he's a very cool human.  After 30 years, they made him wait another two before Luke even got to speak again.  I want him to make it to the end.  At the very least have him be highly featured in ghost form. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I feel like it's an obvious choice to kill Luke, but I hope they don't.  Mark Hamill has carried on the heart and soul of Star Wars for three decades.  He's never once shown animosity towards how the first trilogy shaped his life, and he's a very cool human.  After 30 years, they made him wait another two before Luke even got to speak again.  I want him to make it to the end.  At the very least have him be highly featured in ghost form. 

There's no doubt he'll get significant screen time, but I have no idea if they will kill him or not. Also wonder what they'll do with Jedi and Ray going forward. Gahh I'm so excited!

With how heavy handed Disney has become in the Star Wars films, I'm not holding my breath for this to be much. The amount of control they tried to hold over Gareth Edwards was ridiculous and showed in how flawed/nonsensical the movie(Rogue One, that is) was at times, and now they've already ran off the directors of the Han Solo film because they refused to let them have control over the film.

As it was, 7 made little sense in several areas, but was saved by some really nice acting and just the overall nostalgia of having a Star Wars film that wasn't complete junk. Here's hoping a return from Luke does something to help the film, but again, I'm not hoping for much.

10 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Curious to see what happens with Finn.

I loved this casting as soon as it was made based on Boyega in Attack the Block.  He's one of the most underrated actors out there right now.  He was, in my opinion, the best new character from The Force Awakens.  The part where he asked Rey if she had a boyfriend "You have a boyfriend, cute boyfriend?"  the part where he was begging BB-8 for a hand, and the part where he yelled at Han for nodding his head were among the funniest parts in the new Star Wars. 

I feel like Rey was too much of a Mary Sue, and Poe Dameron really didn't have much character to him at all. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I loved this casting as soon as it was made based on Boyega in Attack the Block.  He's one of the most underrated actors out there right now.  He was, in my opinion, the best new character from The Force Awakens.  The part where he asked Rey if she had a boyfriend "You have a boyfriend, cute boyfriend?"  the part where he was begging BB-8 for a hand, and the part where he yelled at Han for nodding his head were among the funniest parts in the new Star Wars. 

I feel like Rey was too much of a Mary Sue, and Poe Dameron really didn't have much character to him at all. 

Honestly, all of the new cast were great

Just now, Breesus mode said:

Honestly, all of the new cast were great

I agree, but Finn was the best.  I think Poe is going to be a great character, and Rey is certainly likable, but Finn, to me, was the best and Boyega played the character best of all the new characters. 

I am a huge SW fan, but I actually didn't like Force Awakens much.  The storyline contained too many elements of the original trilogy and it just felt stale to me.  

Rogue One, however, I enjoyed.  There were problems with that as well, but I did like how they explained how the flaw in the death star wasn't a flaw at all, but a sabotage.  It always bugged me that the almighty Empire, with all the money and resources at its disposal, would overlook something like an exhaust port that would cause complete combustion.

Just now, hrubes20 said:

I am a huge SW fan, but I actually didn't like Force Awakens much.  The storyline contained too many elements of the original trilogy and it just felt stale to me.

No!  No!  No, no, no! 

This is The Force we're talking about here.  You have to look at The Force as this story's god.  In this galaxy, a long, long time ago, The Force is like most gods ever in that it's very cyclical.  It uses things in similar ways and it literally is a tangible force that exists and operates.  Look at all of the coincidences in the original trilogy.  R2 and C-3PO, by no person's design, end up in the hands of Luke Skywalker.  The Force did that.  The Force brought Luke Skywalker to his sister.  The Force brought Rey to Han Solo, The Force brought Han Solo in and used Han Solo in the original trilogy, and did it again in this trilogy.  The Force and the strength of The Force in a person is hereditary. 

Everybody who complains about The Force Awakens being too similar to the original trilogy is complaining for the sake of complaining and not taking the time to realize that The Force is behind all of these coincidences. 

It works, and it works because it had to be one way or the other.  Disney buys Star Wars and they make it unfamiliar, foreign and different and everybody complains it's not Star Wars.  They make it too similar and they say it's stealing from the original.  It had to be this way because this way has an explanation, and that explanation is The Force.

The Force Awakens was, hands down, the very best Star Wars main story movie since at LEAST Return of the Jedi.  It had the charm, the heart, the spirit, the humor, the wit, the banter, the characters, the practical effects, and nearly everything else about the Star Wars trilogy that diehard Star Wars fans like myself had, and complaining that it was too similar to that is like complaining a tangerine is too close to an orange.  If you like oranges, you should like tangerines and vice versa. 

For people who want proof that people complain for the sake of complaining, look at Jurassic Park versus Jurassic World.  People complained that Jurassic World didn't have a good story.  Now... Really?

Jurassic Park - Paleontologists are invited to look over a new park that's right up their alley.  Two siblings, with parents going through marriage problems, go to the island, where their grandfather is a major element to the park.  The male lead and female lead, with the help/advice of the kids, survive.  A paleontologist and his love interest, throughout the events of the film, narrow the gap on their relationship differences.  At the end, a T-Rex saves the day by fighting off the main dinosaur threats.  The operator of the park battles scientists playing God and the dangers inherent in messing with science, then learns that lesson when science bites back.

Jurassic World - Two siblings, with parents going through marriage problems, go to the island where their aunt is a major element to the park.  The male lead and female lead, with the help/advice of the kids, survive.  An animal expert and his love interest, through the events of the film, narrow the gap on their relationship differences.  At the end, the exact same T-Rex saves the day by fighting off the main dinosaur threats.  The operator of the park battles scientists playing God and the dangers inherent in messing with science, then learns that lesson when science bites back.

They're literally the exact same story with Mad Lib style changes, and yet people complained that the story wasn't good at all and that the first one had a better story. 

People want to complain for the sake of complaining instead of sitting down, shutting their mouths and enjoying the spectacle of film.  If either Star Wars or Jurassic World were as formulaic eye candy as Transformers, people would have a point, but neither is. 

54 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Rogue One, however, I enjoyed.  There were problems with that as well, but I did like how they explained how the flaw in the death star wasn't a flaw at all, but a sabotage.  It always bugged me that the almighty Empire, with all the money and resources at its disposal, would overlook something like an exhaust port that would cause complete combustion.

I can understand not really liking the plot for 7, but the characters make the movie, especially the new ones. They were all fantastic.

Agreed on Rogue One though.

15 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Force Awakens was, hands down, the very best Star Wars main story movie since at LEAST Return of the Jedi.  It had the charm, the heart, the spirit, the humor, the wit, the banter, the characters, the practical effects, and nearly everything else about the Star Wars trilogy that diehard Star Wars fans like myself had, and complaining that it was too similar to that is like complaining a tangerine is too close to an orange.  If you like oranges, you should like tangerines and vice versa. 

People want to complain for the sake of complaining instead of sitting down, shutting their mouths and enjoying the spectacle of film.  If either Star Wars or Jurassic World were as formulaic eye candy as Transformers, people would have a point, but neither is. 

First bolded: Well of course. 1, 2, and 3 were utter trash.  I try to pretend I've never seen them.

Second bolded: Trust me, this is exactly what I wanted to do, and did to an extent.  It was still great to get any kind of SW film that wasn't 1, 2, or 3.  But I wanted something at least remotely fresh.  Instead we got the one evil, one good father/son dynamic again; we got the bad guys with another planet-killing machine that gets taken out by the plucky resistance; we have another droid carrying important information without any kind of entourage; there's the lonely youth who wants more than what their current life holds; etc.  I loved all of this in the originals.  I merely liked it in Force Awakens, as we had already seen it before.

Archived