#1 Golden St Warriors vs #4 Houston Rockets | 2019 West Semifinals

Texansfan713

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, I don't think that is it. Years from now he will get more and more credit especially when people will bring up he beat LeBron twice and either out played him or was even with him. Durant is also the one taking home the finals MVP which gives him a big boost. He very well could finish top 5 when it is all said and done. But let's say he wins again this year and then goes to the Knicks and wins one? Lawd would he get insane hype. 

Yep. But the key is leaving and going to the Knicks.

Havlicek is an 8x champion, Finals MVP, 11x All-NBA selection, etc. The guy pretty much has it all...but he hasn't approached any conversation about even being a top 15 player in probably 20 years. Durant's resume will be more impressive individually, but he won't get the all-time recognition he deserves because it's much harder for him to get individual accolades while playing for the Warriors.

I don't agree that over time those things will be forgotten about Durant and he'll get more and more credit if he stays with the Warriors. The internet has made sure of that.

In more modern terms he's essentially 1st 3-peat Kobe. Recognized as an elite player, but doesn't get the recognition his individual brilliance deserves because of his teammate(s).

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Yep. But the key is leaving and going to the Knicks.

Havlicek is an 8x champion, Finals MVP, 11x All-NBA selection, etc. The guy pretty much has it all...but he hasn't approached any conversation about even being a top 15 player in probably 20 years. Durant's resume will be more impressive individually, but he won't get the all-time recognition he deserves because it's much harder for him to get individual accolades while playing for the Warriors.

I don't agree that over time those things will be forgotten about Durant and he'll get more and more credit if he stays with the Warriors. The internet has made sure of that.

In more modern terms he's essentially 1st 3-peat Kobe. Recognized as an elite player, but doesn't get the recognition his individual brilliance deserves because of his teammate(s).

Havlicek wasn't seen as the best player of those teams. KD will finish higher in the all time rankings over Curry. 

Difference is that Shaq was viewed as the no-brainer best player in the league and DESTROYED his opponents in the finals. You can't compare that to what's happening with Durant. It is the opposite actually. Kobe was every bit of Shaq's equal in a lot of those series up until the finals when Shaq would take it to another level. In this case, Curry is every bit of Durant's equal up until the finals.

Oh no, time will do him good not the other way around. When he first got to GS, people said his rings won't matter blah blah blah. Look at how much that has changed already. He's getting best player in the world love and getting in a lot of top 15 lists. If the Warriors run off say five consecutive titles with him getting say four finals MVPs? Dude is going to end up finishing VERY high on all time lists. Even after this title he will get on the brink of the top 10.

I'm confident time will do him good and not the other way around. Also, he is by FAR one of the greatest finals performer of all time. And that has to count for something. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Havlicek wasn't seen as the best player of those teams. KD will finish higher in the all time rankings over Curry. 

Difference is that Shaq was viewed as the no-brainer best player in the league and DESTROYED his opponents in the finals. You can't compare that to what's happening with Durant. It is the opposite actually. Kobe was every bit of Shaq's equal in a lot of those series up until the finals when Shaq would take it to another level. In this case, Curry is every bit of Durant's equal up until the finals.

Oh no, time will do him good not the other way around. When he first got to GS, people said his rings won't matter blah blah blah. Look at how much that has changed already. He's getting best player in the world love and getting in a lot of top 15 lists. If the Warriors run off say five consecutive titles with him getting say four finals MVPs? Dude is going to end up finishing VERY high on all time lists. Even after this title he will get on the brink of the top 10.

I'm confident time will do him good and not the other way around. Also, he is by FAR one of the greatest finals performer of all time. And that has to count for something. 

Durant was already a top 3 player before GS and most of this best player love is because of the joke of a season the Lakers had. And in that same season he's watching Giannis take over the league and dominate the talk of the season along with Harden. He has a real chance to go his entire career never being considered the consensus best player in the NBA and that won't change if he sticks on GS while Giannis dominates. And you wanna talk about GOAT? 

I don't agree at all about him threatening as a top 10 player even after they win the title.

You're taking my comparison too far. I'm simply trying to say that if he sticks around and only adds team accomplishments to his resume, then his ceiling is capped just like Havlicek. He's only made 1st Team All-NBA 1x in 3 years (I'm assuming he'll be 2nd again this season behind Giannis and George) and hasn't come close to an MVP. If he wants to keep up with LeBron, he's gonna have to do more than ride along for championships.

30 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Durant was already a top 3 player before GS and most of this best player love is because of the joke of a season the Lakers had. And in that same season he's watching Giannis take over the league and dominate the talk of the season along with Harden. He has a real chance to go his entire career never being considered the consensus best player in the NBA and that won't change if he sticks on GS while Giannis dominates. And you wanna talk about GOAT? 

I don't agree at all about him threatening as a top 10 player even after they win the title.

You're taking my comparison too far. I'm simply trying to say that if he sticks around and only adds team accomplishments to his resume, then his ceiling is capped just like Havlicek. He's only made 1st Team All-NBA 1x in 3 years (I'm assuming he'll be 2nd again this season behind Giannis and George) and hasn't come close to an MVP. If he wants to keep up with LeBron, he's gonna have to do more than ride along for championships.

I didn't say GOAT or 2nd best, just he will finish high in the all time rankings. It's okay not being the consensus best player of all time when you played in LeBron's era. Giannis is a monster, but if they match up with the Dubs, I suspect KD will out shine him like he did LeBron. In individual series like that, KD seems to always play his best and takes it personal. Even a baby KD was giving LeBron the business in the finals in 2012.

So if KD wins a ring this season and presumably a finals MVP, he won't be threatening a top 10 ranking of all time? He would absolutely be in that conversation. More likely top 15 than top 10, but in the conversation at least. In terms of perimeter players, MJ and LeBron are on another level and will be extremely difficult to ever catch, but KD can certainly finish with the rest. His numbers are also pretty insane and he's not going to be slowing down anytime soon. 

Winning five consecutive titles with four finals MVPs is going to put him very very high on all time rankings. Will have a chance to be seen as a better player than both Bird and Kobe if he does that. Either way, him going to GS isn't going to be seen as a detriment to his career as it was when he made the decision. When he retires people will talk about how many titles, finals MVPs, MVPs, scoring titles he won, and just his all around stats. His resume is going to be sick and I'd venture to guess he ends up being looked upon as a top 6-9 player of all time. 

Kevin Durant in Golden State is literally LeBron in Miami.  Both of those guys were the best players on their respective teams, but it's neither one of their teams.  Golden State is Curry's team.  Miami was Wade's team.  That's just how it is.  LeBron and Durant were renting.

Miami surely appreciates everything LeBron did for them, but D. Wade is the Heat.

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

To me Havlicek's ceiling is limited somewhat by the era he played in as well, as are guys like Russell and Wilt, and his stats weren't quite as gaudy as most in that discussion. I think being the best player/leader of a dynasty team would have probably pushed him into the top 10-15 discussion, the way it has for Russell, but he was not.

The difference between Lebron and Durant is that Durant is living up to the hype on his super team. 

Miami was suppose to win 3 or 4 straight. Instead they barely got two. 

Individually durant isn’t going to have the MVPs but he’s got things like scoring titles going for him. 

Legacy wise, he just needs to stay in Golden State and take home 4 or 5 rings. 

I hope he leaves though. I feel like the rockets will have a 1 year window if the warriors break up. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know why you would say that. The team has been competing hard and have been competitive. Let's see what happens in Houston. 

Here you go again. You have 4 all stars but you give the rocket fans false hope with statements like this. "Yeah, we have 4 all stars but you guys have Harden, CP3, and Tucker!!!"

Archived