Offseason Phase III - The Finite (Roster Space) War

RpMc

39 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Ajayi is redundant with Mattison in the fold now. 

Agreed, if they can get any money, it needs to go to the WR position. The quality of depth behind the top 2 might be near the bottom of the league right now

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Agreed, if they can get any money, it needs to go to the WR position. The quality of depth behind the top 2 might be near the bottom of the league right now

I kinda agree here but I think they could still see what they got in the group they have now with some healthy competition and then if you need to call an audible, there should be veteran options available in the middle of training camp.  

Just now, battle2heaven said:

I kinda agree here but I think they could still see what they got in the group they have now with some healthy competition and then if you need to call an audible, there should be veteran options available in the middle of training camp.  

Any FA brought in now will have little guaranteed money if the unproven players emerge. I'd think there would be plenty of reps to go around. Given the financial issues the team has, maybe a trade becomes more likely to get a player on their first contract.

This might be a hot take (or maybe not) but I think Khari Blasingame takes the fullback gig from cj ham. 

Blasingame is the most athletic player we drafted or signed for this rookie class. His sparq score is 96.6. His RAS score is 9.73. He used to be a linebacker and was the hammer in the backfield at Vanderbilt. He’ll have to show aptitude as a lead blocker but he could be another dynamic weapon that can help out in the screen game and short yardage situations.  

55 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

This might be a hot take (or maybe not) but I think Khari Blasingame takes the fullback gig from cj ham. 

Blasingame is the most athletic player we drafted or signed for this rookie class. His sparq score is 96.6. His RAS score is 9.73. He used to be a linebacker and was the hammer in the backfield at Vanderbilt. He’ll have to show aptitude as a lead blocker but he could be another dynamic weapon that can help out in the screen game and short yardage situations.  

I've never been impressed with Ham, especially as a lead blocker.

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

He'll have to show he can thrive on the special teams as that seems where C.J Ham has most thrived to be on the roster.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I've never been impressed with Ham, especially as a lead blocker.

Ham is a cool story being a local Minnesota boy,  but he’s definitely upgradable. If the Vikings think they can sneak Blasingame on the practice squad then Ham might be safe for another year. But Blasingame’s athletic profile is something they probably want to keep in the organization. 

13 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I wonder if they might decide not to have a FB entirely. From what I remember of the Kubiak run game with the Broncos, they were basically always in single back formations.

Their H-back TEs (Smith, Morgan) can be lead blockers, either from the offset wing back position or lining up in the backfield. If you watch Smith's game film, he did that a lot at Alabama and he was really good. 

Ham has been mediocre as a lead blocker and hasn't really contributed anything as a pass target on screens / checkdowns. I'd much rather have Smith or Morgan flaring out for a swing pass than Ham. 

Edited by Krauser

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

I wonder if they might decide not to have a FB entirely. From what I remember of the Kubiak run game with the Broncos, they were basically always in single back formations.

You don't remember Howard Griffith?

FBs are used a fair amount in Kubiak's system.  From what I can tell, the FB can expect to catch more passes out of the backfield in this offense.  Ham is just okay at that.  The FB in the system needs to be more of an athlete than we are used to, not just a big back that can block.  The FB will need to be more versatile.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the team replace Ham.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see a guy that plays both FB and TE in Kubiak's offense.  He seems to like using multiple position players ( FB/TE, RB/WR, TE/WR, Outside/Slot WR ).  I am not sure how Kyle Rudolph will fit in the system. He isn't a good enough blocker to be a FB/TE type nor does he move well enough to be a TE/WR type.

15 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

FBs are used a fair amount in Kubiak's system.  From what I can tell, the FB can expect to catch more passes out of the backfield in this offense.  Ham is just okay at that.  The FB in the system needs to be more of an athlete than we are used to, not just a big back that can block.  The FB will need to be more versatile.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the team replace Ham.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see a guy that plays both FB and TE in Kubiak's offense.  He seems to like using multiple position players ( FB/TE, RB/WR, TE/WR, Outside/Slot WR ).  I am not sure how Kyle Rudolph will fit in the system. He isn't a good enough blocker to be a FB/TE type nor does he move well enough to be a TE/WR type.

Ideally, we would have a FB that is similar to kyle juszczyk in a Kubiak/Shanahan type offense. Kyle Juszczyk has a 9.82 RAS score coming out. Can Blassingame become that for us? Who knows, but he fits the athletic profile.