Offseason Phase III - The Finite (Roster Space) War

RpMc

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Landon Jones from Bemidji (my cousin's alma mater) has played football for at least five schools (Emerald Ridge and La Mirada High, Cerritos, and Central Washington before he got here). He played basketball and was on the track team before committing to football, so he likely has decent hands and some speed. Was voted best WR on his team all four years of high school, and last year snagged 35 passes for 710 yards and 9 touchdowns (in only 11 games). He could also torch you returning kicks or punts (had one touchdown doing each).

And he sees the whole field, if that thousand-yard stare is any indication. :P

D5qlqhxX4AEG5OX.jpg

That hair tho...oh my, that's quite, uh, unique.  

The first rookie minicamp practice saw Bradbury lining up at center with Dru Samia next to him. Sounds like it went well. A few tidbits from Zimmer's press conference:

"Samia ... he looked huge to me today, you know? Maybe because he's been on the banquet circuit. I don't know. He looks bigger than he did on tape."

"Coach Dennison mentioned [Oli Udoh] a long time ago; said 'I'd like to take a swing at this guy in the sixth or seventh round,' because he sees the upside in him."

"I think [Jake Browning's] athleticism probably will show above some of these other guys; the scrambling ability. Obviously we haven't seen him throw too much, so he's going to have to be accurate." 

https://www.vikings.com/video/zimmer-offers-early-impressions-of-2019-rookie-class

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

It'd be cool to see Samia become a starter, but then I recall there being some talk about Danny Isidora and he's at best a backup. That might have been the same with Willie Beavers.

I know there was high hopes with David Yankey and Danny Isidora because they fell and had very recognizable names as players that were thought to have been day 2 picks. Hopefully Samia doesn't turn out the same.

• Like 2

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/5/4/18524918/projecting-minnesota-vikings-53-man-roster

This is a roster projection.  I do not believe the Vikings cut Eric Wilson and keep Hercules instead.  That would be crazy I feel, Wilson has actually produced in games and is a fine 3rd down coverage type linebacker with speed and toughness.  Hercules even in college never showed that ability and at best would be a pass rusher off the edge.

Also the safety spot looks very weak, especially if Derron Smith is in the mix as a backup often.  Epps will for sure get time but still wish we picked a different safety and earlier, could be in a mess if Harris or Smith get injured but at least they have Kearse but he was more a hybrid LB or slot corner at times last year in run downs.  Also having Boyd a safety, not sure that is a good play but will see.

The WR group I would not mind cutting Treadwell, but still not totally sold on those two WRs we drafted late in the 7th round.  Will be curious if Treadwell comes back motivated to prove himself or not though, if so others will be cut instead of him. Beebe is a nice player and great slot potential and quickness.  Zylstra would at least give them some size, not sure how Jordan Taylor would play but has good physical testing numbers.  Would love to have him do well and then they could have their big receiver option to go up and get the football.   

I would also be fine with Browning over Mannion but not by much, Sloter is the 2nd anyway.  That OG position looks rough, especially if Elflein is not a starter which I would be shocked if he is not.  My hope is get Kline out of there and cut him and get Samia in there but doubt that will happen.  If Samia out plays Elflein at guard though that will be sad for Pat.  And the backup OT position looks awful, basically no one outside of Hill.  Would like to see Bisnowaty stick around.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That is an interesting take.  It isn't really more likely to be accurate than any of our opinions IMO, but it is another voice to add to the crowd.  Well, it is maybe more likely to be correct than what I posted in this thread because what I posted was more about how I would have them ranked right now than trying to predict where they ultimately will be at the time the cut to 53 happens.

As far as that author's take on what it will be, I really like his take on the offensive line although I feel he is being a bit to bold predicting Samia will be the starter at guard. That could happen, but Samia has a long way to go to get there. Other than that, he generally agrees with me so that means I like his opinion as it relates to the offensive line.

At LB, I agree with you @Ozzy that his take is pretty unlikely.  I have trouble seeing his prediction as even a realistic possibility.  For that reason, I don't like his opinion about the LBers.

At Safety, I suppose his guess is as good as any of ours for how their depth will shake out but I am surprised to see that he has Epps on the cut list. Teams often give draft picks the benefit of the doubt. I don't know that is the best way to do it, but teams generally seem to do it anyway.  On the other hand, all 12 draft picks were never going to make the team and Epps is one of the lower selections.

On the DL, I hope he is right that Jaleel earns the starting job over Shamar.  That would be a great sign for that his development is going well. I do wonder, however, whether Shamar would make the roster if he loses the starting job.  I don't know how much of Shamar's contract is guaranteed.  If it is much, that might keep him on the roster. However, keeping him on the roster cancels out the Nick Easton compensatory pick so it is one more thing counting against Stephen if he doesn't hold onto the starting job.  In the end, coach Zimmer values defensive line depth enough that the compensatory ding isn't likely enough to sway him.  It would probably have to be a cap thing that caused Zimmer to not keep Shamar on as a backup and that depends on contract details that I do not know.  It is just something that I thought about when I saw the prediction of Stephen being a backup.

53 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The Ringer thinks MN should sign Jay Ajayi........which I think is a good idea. 

That'd be okay, but who's being cut to sign him, considering they still don't have enough yet to even sign Bradbury.