> 2020 Draft Prospect Thread <

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I missed the outside part, I thought it just said separation. 

slot wr's almost never deal with press, and are usually defended by a 5'9 cb or a tight hipped safety. Even Agholor can get open with those advantages.

7 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

It's hard to find any cutups or compilations of drops. 

You say he drops the ball occasionally, I say he can't catch - we're really saying the same thing. 

You can make all the crazy catches you want but dropping the ball 15% of the time is too much. 

They aren’t the same thing though. One means you at least have the skill to have great hands and make low percentile catches, and can work on ironing out things. The underlying skill, catching the ball, is apparent. (Mims)

The other is despite working on things you will never really make any plays with consistency that aren’t in a high percentage window for you. Because you simply lack the skill to really catch. (Agholor) 

What made Nelly worse was he was so in his head he would often have drops with those high percentage windows (ie Hitting he damn hands near his center of mass)

Doesn't Mims halving his drop% last year prove that? That it’s fixable? Isn’t it worth taking that risk on an outside guy who made so many great catches away from his body? Because the proof of skill is on any tape you watch of him?

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

They aren’t the same thing though. One means you at least have the skill to have great hands and make low percentile catches, and can work on ironing out things. The underlying skill, catching the ball, is apparent. (Mims)

The other is despite working on things you will never really make any plays with consistency that aren’t in a high percentage window for you. Because you simply lack the skill to really catch. (Agholor)

It's the same thing to me - if you have a drop issue you can call it whatever you want.

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Doesn't Mims halving his drop% last year prove that? That it’s fixable? Isn’t it worth taking that risk on an outside guy who made so many great catches away from his body? Because the proof of skill is on any tape you watch of him?

Are we going to pretend like Agholor didn't have a season where he reduced his drop numbers? Only to regress back to step one. 

40 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Love me some Van.

If we got Mims or Reagor rd 1 (staying pat or a slight trade back) and paired them with Van in the 3rd....I’d be pretty happy. Bonus points for a good Safety in rd 2 or CB that fell.

Reagor 

Chinn

Van

That would be all the sexy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

It's the same thing to me - if you have a drop issue you can call it whatever you want.

Are we going to pretend like Agholor didn't have a season where he reduced his drop numbers? Only to regress back to step one. 

Don’t get how when you’re talking about college prospects. 5 year vets sure. But these are kids that largely are in bad schemes and don’t get asked or even taught a lot of what they will get in the NFL. Surely you allow for a certain level of growth from college and into the pros? The dream is to get a polish ready to go guy, but they are few and far between and get drafted early for a reason.

Yeah it happens. But Nelly was a headcase too, who dropped absolute dimes that hit his hands near his body. (See that last drop in the Pats game) 

Watching 20 plays...10 are fantastic snagging catches, 9 are fine catches and 1 is a drop of some kind. Why does that 1 drop totally erase the 10 fantastic catches that a lot of guys (especially in this class) can’t make. There is no stat for it, but are those types of catches that change an incompletion into a reception not worth something? At the bare minimum not getting thrown in arbitrarily with people who just don’t have good hands at all, who struggle with even the simplest catches?

7 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Don’t get how when you’re talking about college prospects. 5 year vets sure. But these are kids that largely are in bad schemes and don’t get asked or even taught a lot of what they will get in the NFL. Surely you allow for a certain level of growth from college and into the pros? The dream is to get a polish ready to go guy, but they are few and far between and get drafted early for a reason.

Yeah it happens. But Nelly was a headcase too, who dropped absolute dimes that hit his hands near his body. (See that last drop in the Pats game) 

Watching 20 plays...10 are fantastic snagging catches, 9 are fine catches and 1 is a drop of some kind. Why does that 1 drop totally erase the 10 fantastic catches that a lot of guys (especially in this class) can’t make. There is no stat for it, but are those types of catches that change an incompletion into a reception not worth something? At the bare minimum not getting thrown in arbitrarily with people who just don’t have good hands at all, who struggle with even the simplest catches?

Yeah sounds like he is devalued for his drops, yet not given value for his great catches.

So in other words, he's only focused on the negatives.

1 minute ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

Yeah sounds like he is devalued for his drops, yet not given value for his great catches.

So in other words, he's only focused on the negatives.

Not at all - look back through the thread. I've acknowledged that Hamler is electric, his fast in open space, he's shifty. I've acknowledged the same about Reagor. I haven't really talked about Mims - but I acknowledge he's a great athlete with a great catch radius.

However - given what this team went through last year, I simply can not look past the drops.