2020 Draft Talk

swede700

According to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, selecting a receiver is not a, “Day 1 priority,” for Minnesota this year. Instead, Miller has heard that the Vikings could wait until the second or third round to add a new pass-catcher and use their first two picks to select defensive and offensive line prospects.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

According to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, selecting a receiver is not a, “Day 1 priority,” for Minnesota this year. Instead, Miller has heard that the Vikings could wait until the second or third round to add a new pass-catcher and use their first two picks to select defensive and offensive line prospects.

Of course, that would make sense, but as @SemperFeist hinted at, that could just be the smokescreen.  I actually don't expect them to take one unless 1 of the top 3 happen to fall.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

so we should be extensively scouting rd1 receivers then.

• Like 1

The Buffalo Bills are doing a fundraiser, and the top prize is a fan will get to listen in on the call as GM Beane makes the Bills’ first pick. I’m guessing many teams will do something along those lines this year. 

But it got me thinking. How much do you think a team could raise if the top prize was the ability to make a pick (day 3) during the draft?

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Buffalo Bills are doing a fundraiser, and the top prize is a fan will get to listen in on the call as GM Beane makes the Bills’ first pick. I’m guessing many teams will do something along those lines this year. 

But it got me thinking. How much do you think a team could raise if the top prize was the ability to make a pick (day 3) during the draft?

I'm sure they could get some wealthy person to donate quite a bit...but even then, I imagine that they would give the person only a couple of options to choose from, considering how important those picks are, because you wouldn't want that fan to pick some local kid solely because he's a local kid and wouldn't fit the team (as you know would happen with Vikings' fans).  

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I buy this. With Thielen, Rudy, Irv Smith and Bisi Johnson, they have some pass catching options. I'd rather see two 2nd-4th round guys, rather than one 1st round guy. 

53 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I buy this. With Thielen, Rudy, Irv Smith and Bisi Johnson, they have some pass catching options. I'd rather see two 2nd-4th round guys, rather than one 1st round guy. 

Depends on what is there in round one. I may be more tempted to go WR in round one if one of the top guys fall like Ruggs, Lamb or Juedy, I’d agree on holding off until round 3. 

Just doesn’t seem to be a position that has been reliable for us in round one as we’ve typically picked later in round one and are either drafting high potential types (Patterson) or the scraps that other teams correctly ignored (Treadwell).

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Depends on what is there in round one. I may be more tempted to go WR in round one if one of the top guys fall like Ruggs, Lamb or Juedy, I’d agree on holding off until round 3. 

Just doesn’t seem to be a position that has been reliable for us in round one as we’ve typically picked later in round one and are either drafting high potential types (Patterson) or the scraps that other teams correctly ignored (Treadwell).

Yeah, if a top prospect falls and it is a BPA situation go for it. Just in terms of pure positional need, I don't think WR ranks as high as CB, S, OL or DL. 

• Like 1

I listened to PA on Saturdays with Sauce and he seemed to be awfully impressed with Wilson.  While he's certainly not an expert, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him go in the first based on that evaluation. 

Edited by swede700