AFC East QB & DT Tandem

Activated10

Now we all know AFC East has 3 of 5 QBs selected in 2018 draft, should make for an interesting division. But not only that but the division also took 3 of best DTs in the draft 

New York Jets = QB Sam Darnold (#3, 18) & DT Quinnen Williams (#3, 19)

Buffalo Bills = QB Josh Allen (#7, 18)& DT Ed Oliver (#9, 19)

Miami Dolphins = QB Josh Rosen (#10, 18) & DT Christian Wilkins (#13, 19)

Best way to beat Brady is pressure through the middle, all 3 competitors did that with their 1st round picks. 

Interesting pattern you see here is also teams selected both players at similar draft positions. Miami didn't draft Rosen but you know what I mean. 

What do you like and not like about each tandem and how do you see the tandem progress the next few years 

On 2019-05-01 at 11:06 PM, DingoLadd said:

I mean all 3 of them are screwed until they find a QB/coach to rival bellicheck and even then.... screwed. 

None of them can rival Bellichek but I do like the other HCs on the team and Brady will retire soon so one other 3 QBs will be the best QB in the division 

I feel like all 3 of them have been trying for years now to draft Brady-beaters. Some have gotten close - Miami with Wake at his best gave us fits at times, but ultimately, you've got to actually overcome BB who will see what you're doing, and just change it up. 

The current trend of smaller and more mobile linebackers, for example, looks like being countered by BB via a return to the heavy run game (we used 21 personnel the most - the FB formations, last season).

Williams and Oliver, I've no doubt, will be great players - but as long as BB and Brady are there - will it matter enough to knock NE down?

Well if any team is set up to beat Brady this year it's the Jets.  Still highly unlikely unless Sam makes a huge jump (not totally out of the question with his play the last quarter of the season).

I mean if NE is pounding the rock these days the Jets are about as stout up the middle as anyone.  White and Edelman are still major issues for them though.

If Sam makes the jump into a top 10-15 QB this year they could make NE work but I don't see NE falling off quite yet.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Well if any team is set up to beat Brady this year it's the Jets.  Still highly unlikely unless Sam makes a huge jump (not totally out of the question with his play the last quarter of the season).

I mean if NE is pounding the rock these days the Jets are about as stout up the middle as anyone.  White and Edelman are still major issues for them though.

If Sam makes the jump into a top 10-15 QB this year they could make NE work but I don't see NE falling off quite yet.

Problem with the Jets is Darnold has no one to throw to. Robby Anderson is a #3 at best.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Problem with the Jets is Darnold has no one to throw to. Robby Anderson is a #3 at best.

They have Anderson, Enunwa and Crowder all very solid options.  No stud in the pack but all really solid players Anderson should have been a 1k WR if he just had decent QB play and Q and Crowdera are both capable of being 800+ yards WR's.  Their rookie TE Herndon was great last year as far as rookie TE's go and Bell/Montgomery are high end pass catching weapons.  Weapons are not an issue for Sam.  It's OL play and his personal development. 

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

They have Anderson, Enunwa and Crowder all very solid options.  No stud in the pack but all really solid players Anderson should have been a 1k WR if he just had decent QB play and Q and Crowdera are both capable of being 800+ yards WR's.  Their rookie TE Herndon was great last year as far as rookie TE's go and Bell/Montgomery are high end pass catching weapons.  Weapons are not an issue for Sam.  It's OL play and his personal development. 

Not doubting Bell, it's just everyone else is super underwhelming. Each and every one of them are just guys. Nothing defensive coordinators need to gameplan around whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Just now, Danger said:

Not doubting Bell, it's just everyone else is super underwhelming. Each and every one of them are just guys. Nothing defensive coordinators need to gameplan around whatsoever. 

I disagree because you do need to game plan for Anderson.  He is one of the best deep threats in the NFL.  That alone opens things up for matchups with Q, Crowder and Herndon 1 on 1.

Jets have more then enough weapons it's the least of my concerns.  Far more concerns with edge rusher, CB, OL.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

50/50 type passing/rushing offense, maybe slightly more towards the run. 

I believe most teams will have issues stopping the run against NE this year but NYJ should be one of the toughest outs.

After the Pats beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl next year, that will probably be the last of Tom Brady. Then again, maybe he works out an extension to play an additional two years into 2022. Either way, the Patriots aren't going anywhere in 2019 and with Belichick and the draft they just had, I think we'll see the Pats remain a contender in the East with or without Brady in 2020.

4 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

This isn't news.

But people are talking like the next decade is about Brady and belichick. 

Brady will be 42, showed decline in his arm last season. They won the SB because of  Belichick being smarter than everyone else. 

Declines hit hard for 40+ yr old athlete's. 

But anyways obviously I like my teams combo the best. I think Darnold will be the nest qb of the bunch. Quinnen Williams should be a dominant player for years to come. Jets defense could be sneaky good this year.  

And i say Robby anderson is a #2 wr, hes a great deep threat. Once he got chemistry with darnold he was balling. We lack a #1 but you dont need a dominant wr to win. The wrs are good enough if they stay healthy. 

I hope Darnold makes that Wentz/trubisky jump, but we shall see.

1 minute ago, NYJets4716 said:

But people are talking like the next decade is about Brady and belichick. 

Brady will be 42, showed decline in his arm last season. They won the SB because of  Belichick being smarter than everyone else. 

Declines hit hard for 40+ yr old athlete's. 

But anyways obviously I like my teams combo the best. I think Darnold will be the nest qb of the bunch. Quinnen Williams should be a dominant player for years to come. Jets defense could be sneaky good this year.  

And i say Robby anderson is a #2 wr, hes a great deep threat. Once he got chemistry with darnold he was balling. We lack a #1 but you dont need a dominant wr to win. The wrs are good enough if they stay healthy. 

I hope Darnold makes that Wentz/trubisky jump, but we shall see.

No, they will be there for 2 more years probably. Belichick will probably trade up for a QB in 2020, and hand over the roster to McDaniels in 2021 with an (hopefully) emerging sophomore QB and tons of capspace.

But this has no effect on this year and possibly not even next year. 

As far as Brady goes, the guy was very elite last season but several factors hurt his production. If he had Gordon and Edelman for 16 games each instead of 12 and 11 you can likely tack on another 4-5 TDs on his total. Gronk couldn't run anymore and Cooks got traded. I think he would have been in the MVP conversation if he had KCs weapons. 

NE won the Super Bowl not only because BB is a great coach but more so because they had a top 3 OL and a top 2 secondary in football.