Ross C*ckrell and the secondary

DingoLadd

Can someone explain to me why Ross C*ckrell is on the roster bubble? I remember him being the steelers best CB the past 2 seasons and now he's probably gonna get cut. Is that the steelers being stupid or has he always just sucked?

I am asking because why not, it was very smart on the steelers to sign Joe Haden to be a mentor for their young CBs/be their no.2 CB/Nickel DB.

5 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Can someone explain to me why Ross C*ckrell is on the roster bubble? I remember him being the steelers best CB the past 2 seasons and now he's probably gonna get cut. Is that the steelers being stupid or has he always just sucked?

I am asking because why not, it was very smart on the steelers to sign Joe Haden to be a mentor for their young CBs/be their no.2 CB/Nickel DB.

We haven't heard that Cockrell is on the bubble from anyone within the organization. I think he is on most fans bubble to be cut. Cockrell is limited in what he can do. We know what we have in Cockrell. Our pass defense is porous PERIOD!  Cockrell is not the sole reason for that, but he has not stepped up his game as a starter either.  Our defense has not demonstrated the ability to get off the field on third downs consistently. This plagued us early last year, certainly in the Championship game against the Patriots and even in the pre-season this year.  I am not so sure he gets cut. While he is not a good #2 or #3, he may be more than functional as a #4 or #5.  We have a bunch of slot type guys with Gay, Sensabaugh, Sutton and Hilton.  Haden and Burns give us some ability to play man outside and Cockrell could still fit as a fill - in outside. He is never going to be great, that doesn't mean that he can't find a role as a back-up. I think William Gay is probably more on the bubble because of all of the youth and depth at the slot.  No one within the organization has said this, but I believe that could be the case. We will find out by tomorrow at the latest.  I think we try to scoop some safety help as well. Depth is woefully thin.  I am wondering if Hagen did enough last night to pass Robert Golden?  I didn't see the game, but followed on-line and heard some of it over the radio.  I will watch tonight on NFL Network when they air it.

Can you explain to me why you put an * in Cockrell's name?

Cockrell wasnt the Steelers best CB last season.  He was laughably bad at times.    He was decent in 2015, but if he was the best, it was only because we had very little talent at CB.

And as Hitman stated, we dont know whats going to happen with Cockrell....we just speculate that either him or Gay could be cut.   Personally, Id probably cut Gay over Cockrell because Cockrell is at least slightly better and is still pretty young, but Gay is a Tomlin guy and well respected in the locker room.    But even if they do cut Cockrell, its not the big loss youre making it out to be,

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Cockrell wasnt the Steelers best CB last season.  He was laughably bad at times.    He was decent in 2015, but if he was the best, it was only because we had very little talent at CB.

And

What is everyone opinions of not moving him to our Nickel? What does he do bad enough that other guys are better than him?

Just now, gatek99 said:

What is everyone opinions of not moving him to our Nickel? What does he do bad enough that other guys are better than him?

Doesnt track the ball well in the air and is just an average athlete for an NFL CB.   I have no problem keeping him around as deep depth, but he really doesnt have any business being an NFL starter 

IDEAL nickle corners have loose hips and good short area speed, and just better athletes in general than what Cockrell is.     Gay lacking in these areas is why he (IMO) made a better outside corner than a nickle....but wasnt that good at either.

Cam Sutton is the closest thing we have to an ideal nickle corner, and he has alot to learn yet, so if Cockrell sticks around, he may see time at nickle, but I feel like after a month, Steeler fans...even those who like Cockrell.... will be begging for a change.    

He's poorly suited to the nickel. Not a good tackler or run defender. Not quick and not physical. Does not take on blocks or fight through them. Not a good blitzer. The team simply has several better options at nickel. Cockrell can't even be considered there.

You are cutting Cockrell because he's making $2m which can be used to absorb Haden's contract and because of his limitations. He's got the make-up to be a mediocre boundary corner who can only play soft zone.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

IDEAL nickle corners have loose hips and good short area speed, and just better athletes in general than what Cockrell is.     Gay lacking in these areas is why he (IMO) made a better outside corner than a nickle....but wasnt that good at either.

Cam Sutton is the closest thing we have to an ideal nickle corner, and he has alot to learn yet, so if Cockrell sticks around, he may see time at nickle, but I feel like after a month, Steeler fans...even those who like Cockrell.... will be begging for a change.    

Hayden would be an ideal slot corner, though I know he probably won't be used that way.  If he has lost his long speed due to groin injuries, he would fit the bill for tremendous short area quickness and good, aggressive tackling.  

19 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Hayden would be an ideal slot corner, though I know he probably won't be used that way.  If he has lost his long speed due to groin injuries, he would fit the bill for tremendous short area quickness and good, aggressive tackling.  

I don't recall Hayden ever having great long speed. he had tremendous quickness and technique.  The knock on him coming out of college was the fact everyone was concerned about his slow 40 times at the Combine. He has the other intangibles and physical traits that make him a good CB. Darrell Revis was not the fastest guy in his prime either. I believe he was a 4.5 forty guy, however, he had the skills and talent to play the position.

2 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I don't recall Hayden ever having great long speed. he had tremendous quickness and technique.  The knock on him coming out of college was the fact everyone was concerned about his slow 40 times at the Combine. He has the other intangibles and physical traits that make him a good CB. Darrell Revis was not the fastest guy in his prime either. I believe he was a 4.5 forty guy, however, he had the skills and talent to play the position.

Revis isn't the best example. Speed was never a problem with him (4.38), but Hayden was never a high speed player. The concern would be if he has lost more speed then at some point that overtakes technique.

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Can you explain to me why you put an * in Cockrell's name?

And as Hitman stated, we dont know whats going to happen with Cockrell....we just speculate that either him or Gay could be cut.   Personally, Id probably cut Gay over Cockrell because Cockrell is at least slightly better and is still pretty young, but Gay is a Tomlin guy and well respected in the locker room.    But even if they do cut Cockrell, its not the big loss youre making it out to be,

Cockrell was censored on the old forum thought it was here too, guess not and thanks for clarifying a lot of things.

7 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Revis isn't the best example. Speed was never a problem with him (4.38), but Hayden was never a high speed player. The concern would be if he has lost more speed then at some point that overtakes technique.

I don't recall Revis being that fast. Yes he was athletic and returned punts, but I thought he ran 4.48 or 4.5 in the forty. I get your point though on Hayden.

9 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I said that with the assumption that Haden and Burns will be on the outside.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

I said that with the assumption that Haden and Burns will be on the outside.

I think that's a correct assumption.  But I'm wondering if he wouldn't be better inside.  Concerned about what I'm hearing about his groin injuries.  

Just now, JLambert58 said:

I think that's a correct assumption.  But I'm wondering if he wouldn't be better inside.  Concerned about what I'm hearing about his groin injuries.  

Im in wait and see mode.    Not really overly optimistic or pessimistic....just hopeful he can be an asset in one way or another.

Archived