2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

45 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

As of now the Jets have $46.5 million of cap money, that could change when the final numbers come out in early March. ThAT

IS A FAR CRY FROM THE $100 million we had last year,

I see $58 million without any cuts. We should be around $80 million when its all said and done.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Oh I’m not saying they wouldn’t be I’m saying the likelyhood of us actually committing that type of money to a singular position group is unlikely when we have so many other needs on top of extending Jamal and potentially Maye.

We had a top 10 defense with no real edge or #1 CB. We are still in good shape if we don’t get either in FA. This was all without Mosley and Williamson FYI. So it’s very likely that we spend most of our cap on OL. Making WR the main need.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I do think odd are we draft an OLineman. But it’s not out of possibility that we rebuild the OL in FA. If that happens... grab the bpa and there’s really no argument that Jeudy and Lamb purely on talent are probably 2 of the top 5 players in this draft class.

Furthermore. When have we tried the FA rebuild OL route? JD was left with a hole at C and got Kalil out of retirement. Harrison, Winters, Shell and Edoga are home grown. Alex Lewis was traded for for a 7th round pick. Our only FA OLineman is Beachum and he’s our best OLineman. Unfortunately for us our 2 best OLineman are FAs in Beachum and Lewis so JD has to make a decision on both of them. But there’s plenty of very talented OLineman in this years FA class to spend on. And when we don’t need much on defense... that should be where the money goes. So it’s not at all unlikely we rebuild the OLine in FA.

Harrison was drafted by Indianapolis. Only Shell, Edoga, and Winters are homegrown. Off the top of my head, OL we acquired other than the draft:  Compton, Beachum, Osmele, Carpenter, Long, Lewis,  I could go on but I think you get my point. Only Mangold and Ferguson were 1st rd picks. When did our OL take a ****? After they left and we went the “Let’s build our OL through FA and day 3 picks. IT DOES NOT WORK!  

Based purely on BPA, yes, Jeudy and Lamb are higher rated than almost all OL this year. We need to spend that 1st on OL and stop dicking around with old guys and never-will-be’s. 

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Harrison was drafted by Indianapolis. Only Shell, Edoga, and Winters are homegrown. Off the top of my head, OL we acquired other than the draft:  Compton, Beachum, Osmele, Carpenter, Long, Lewis,  I could go on but I think you get my point. Only Mangold and Ferguson were 1st rd picks. When did our OL take a ****? After they left and we went the “Let’s build our OL through FA and day 3 picks. IT DOES NOT WORK!  

Based purely on BPA, yes, Jeudy and Lamb are higher rated than almost all OL this year. We need to spend that 1st on OL and stop dicking around with old guys and never-will-be’s. 

Well said, I agree

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

Trust me I totally get what you’re saying. And it agitates me to no end we’ve avoided the offense period with quality picks in the draft (not just OL). Our offense has been embarrassing for countless years bc if this. Even when we were good... we won with defense, not with offense. So it’s been decades since we’ve had an offense that is scary.

My point is we have 65mill in cap space next year before the cap is raised and we make cuts. So you’re looking at more like 75mill in space with the obvious hole being OL. Our GM loves valuing OL and it’s very obvious that will be the focus of the team. So its not unlikely we fill those needs in FA. Making it to where we can go BA talent at a position of need in the draft. My point being purely on talent Jeudy and Lamb are better than every OLineman in this class (Thomas can be debated). So if we added 3 OLineman in FA and one of those WRs is there for us at 11. It makes sense to draft one of them more so than an OLineman at that point. What good is it to protect Darnold for him to throw to Berrios, Smith and Crowder?

I have at least 3 OT's in the first round I'd look at before taking any other position, but I know we can't force the pick. Doesn't matter how bad we need any position. My favorite example is the Rams back in the 2014 draft. They picked Greg Robinson at #2, and Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Khalil Mack, Beckham, Anthony Barr, and Aaron Donald were picked after that. I've been dying for a legit franchise LT, but I have to keep an open mind just in case some of these options aren't as good as I believe. 

I've been working on a mock and I realized there are millions of ways we can go in this offseason to come away with a great team on paper. 

11 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I have at least 3 OT's in the first round I'd look at before taking any other position, but I know we can't force the pick. Doesn't matter how bad we need any position. My favorite example is the Rams back in the 2014 draft. They picked Greg Robinson at #2, and Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Khalil Mack, Beckham, Anthony Barr, and Aaron Donald were picked after that. I've been dying for a legit franchise LT, but I have to keep an open mind just in case some of these options aren't as good as I believe. 

I've been working on a mock and I realized there are millions of ways we can go in this offseason to come away with a great team on paper. 

Free Agency will clear up my thoughts on the draft.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Free Agency will clear up my thoughts on the draft.

Combine time is it for me. It's not 100% about the combine, but all the good footage, breakdowns, drug tests, and etc come up. That allows me to get all the info I need. I have a mock draft saved on here just because I'm waiting for this time so I can confirm my thoughts. lol I'm not making two. 

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

Im just gonna throw this out there but if DeAndre Swift, Jonathan Williams, or JK Dobbins falls to our 2nd...I’m not passing on them idc

It's hard for me because I really love JW's style of running. Picking another RB sounds crazy, but it's not out of the question even if we keep Bell. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

It's hard for me because I really love JW's style of running. Picking another RB sounds crazy, but it's not out of the question even if we keep Bell. 

Are you guys talking about Jonathan Taylor? Also look around the league - plenty of teams investing 3rd round picks in RBs despite supposedly having "feature backs" - Darrell Henderson (LAR), Damien Harris (NE), Alexander Mattinson (MIN) last year. If the talent is there, you take one, especially when considering that Bell is likely entering his last season with the Jets. Otherwise, grab one late. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Are you guys talking about Jonathan Taylor? Also look around the league - plenty of teams investing 3rd round picks in RBs despite supposedly having "feature backs" - Darrell Henderson (LAR), Damien Harris (NE), Alexander Mattinson (MIN) last year. If the talent is there, you take one, especially when considering that Bell is likely entering his last season with the Jets. Otherwise, grab one late. 

Yes I meant Jonathan Taylor lol my bad 

7 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Group 1 for me.

I also find it odd that they left out Round 2 in this debate.

Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepard, Tyler Boyd, JuJu Smith-Shuster, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf.

And like I've stated you can say this about any position group. I'm sure the list of 3rd Round OLIneman that have been successful are right in line with this of WRs. We've just never been a team that finds good talent in mid rounds. Period.