2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

24 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

A 40 time isn't going to determine where these guys are going to go, nor does it determine a player's play-speed. It is important to confirm something - if a player is slow on tape and shows up slow in a 40, he's slow - but running a 4.5 is hardly disappointing with the kind of twitch and YAC Aiyuk, Reagor, and Shenault play with. It's actually a joke to put "disappointment" and "Reagor" in the same sentence... he had a great performance. 

I've had Shenault falling to the 2nd for a long time because I think teams are going to play it safe with receivers who are more projectable with their 1st round picks, especially in such a deep class, but could see him as a fit in NO. I think Jefferson locked himself into PHI - a perfect fit for their offense. I had Reagor to BUF/Tee Higgins to GB prior to yesterday and haven't determined if I'm changing that. That marks 6 WRs round 1. I've had Mims-NYG at 36 prior to yesterday and don't see that changing. I have Aiyuk to the Colts in the 2nd (34) but could budge off that. 

*Jauan Jennings had a very poor workout. While he fits all the characteristics Joe Douglas has said he wants, it's been made clear that speed is the priority for Adam Gase. One of the issues he had on tape was his separation ability down-field, and he did not help with a 4.73 40. I'm sure he'll improve on those numbers, but when you couple his poor showing with documented character issues it's going to raise flags. Likely safe to move him down to day 3. 

*John Hightower came in with very impressive traits and from what I saw looked really good in the drills. He has the talent and he has a niche - he's a very good deep threat. He needs to round out his game, but teams usually take guys in round 3-4 who have a skill that's ready made for the NFL while possessing the traits to improve in other areas. He did well for himself after a sub-par Senior Bowl. I think we'll hear his name called somewhere between round 3-4, but could see himself as high as the top of round 3. He should be squarely on the Jets radar.  

*Devin Duvernay had a big combine. Everything I hear is that teams love him. My cousin is trying to rep him. He is a clone of Albert Wilson, but unlike Wilson, he's been on the map and produced at a big time school. He's probably going to go in the end of round 3. Green Bay is a fit. 

*Donovan Peoples-Jones is one of the wildest prospects in a while. Not only is he athletic, but he's football athletic. He's a terrific runner, and he did well in the drills (probably the best gauntlet I saw yesterday). My cousin swears he's going in round 2. I think he goes round 3. 

*Gabriel Davis went out and did what I thought he would. Very solid athlete who is a good deep receiver with position versatility. He's a traditional 3rd round player that can go anywhere given the depth of this class. 

I’d add Claypool, as a viable 2nd rounder Gandy-Golden didn’t have impressive numbers but I would still take him in the third depending on who was else was available. TE Albert O had a great 40. . I think he dropped out after the gauntlet but he looked good in that drill

2 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I’d add Claypool, as a viable 2nd rounder Gandy-Golden didn’t have impressive numbers but I would still take him in the third depending on who was else was available. TE Albert O had a great 40. . I think he dropped out after the gauntlet but he looked good in that drill

Claypool is a freaky player. If I were building an offense I'd take him and use him the way Seattle used Metcalf, but leave myself the option to convert him into a Darren Waller-style interior slot/TE... I've always felt those guys were valuable outlets to QBs, but I'm just trying to focus on players the Jets will target. 

Gase has never been too fond of guys who win on physicality alone. He wants guys who run nuanced routes and make clean releases. He doesn't want his QB to throw jump balls- he wants him to throw to open receivers. Yes, Claypool had a great 40 time, but he's not going to win in the NFL with his releases or routes; he's going to win by overpowering his opponent at the catch-point. 

If the Colts sign Phillip Rivers, look for them to consider Claypool. He's exactly the kind of receiver he loves, someone he can take shots down field with, and they have a need for a big, physically imposing receiver to pair with TY Hilton and Parris Campbell. Would be a nice fit at #75 if they don't take someone like Higgins at the top of round 2. 

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Claypool is a freaky player. If I were building an offense I'd take him and use him the way Seattle used Metcalf, but leave myself the option to convert him into a Darren Waller-style interior slot/TE... I've always felt those guys were valuable outlets to QBs, but I'm just trying to focus on players the Jets will target. 

Gase has never been too fond of guys who win on physicality alone. He wants guys who run nuanced routes and make clean releases. He doesn't want his QB to throw jump balls- he wants him to throw to open receivers. Yes, Claypool had a great 40 time, but he's not going to win in the NFL with his releases or routes; he's going to win by overpowering his opponent at the catch-point. 

If the Colts sign Phillip Rivers, look for them to consider Claypool. He's exactly the kind of receiver he loves, someone he can take shots down field with, and they have a need for a big, physically imposing receiver to pair with TY Hilton and Parris Campbell. Would be a nice fit at #75 if they don't take someone like Higgins at the top of round 2. 

What WRs you see us targeting...other than Van Jefferson lol

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

What WRs you see us targeting...other than Van Jefferson lol

I think it’s most important to break them into roles. We need a Z receiver and potentially an X (depending if Robby is resigned). No particular order... 

• Justin Jefferson (Z/Y) - likely out of range 
  • Jalen Reagor (X/Z) - likely out of range 
  • Brandon Aiyuk (Z) 
  • Laviska Shenault (Z/H-back) 
  • Denzel Mims (X) 
  • KJ Hamler (Z/Y)
  • Michael Pittman (X)
  • Van Jefferson (X/Y/Z)
  • Donovan Peoples-Jones (Z) 
  • John Hightower (X) 
  • Devin Duvernay (Z/Y) 
  • James Proche (Z/Y) 
  • Gabriel Davis (X) 
  • Quartney Davis (Z/Y) 

the list goes on and on...

Just now, jetskid007 said:

I think it’s most important to break them into roles. We need a Z receiver and potentially an X (depending if Robby is resigned). No particular order... 

• Justin Jefferson (Z/Y) - likely out of range 
  • Jalen Reagor (X/Z) - likely out of range 
  • Brandon Aiyuk (Z) 
  • Laviska Shenault (Z/H-back) 
  • Denzel Mims (X) 
  • KJ Hamler (Z/Y)
  • Michael Pittman (X)
  • Van Jefferson (X/Y/Z)
  • Donovan Peoples-Jones (Z) 
  • John Hightower (X) 
  • Devin Duvernay (Z/Y) 
  • James Proche (Z/Y) 
  • Gabriel Davis (X) 
  • Quartney Davis (Z/Y) 

the list goes on and on...

What do you think of this combine snub, Mason Kinsey?